Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Lingering Twilight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The lingering twilight can be seen to the north between midnight and 1 o'clock as a glow near the horizon. The brightness of the glow depends on how far north you are. In the Channel Islands, the glow is very weak but in the Shetlands it is bright.

Midnight looking due north, 12th June

I read many years ago you could read a newspaper at midnight on the Shetlands at midnight in June (without moonlight), I have never known if that is true.

ps without a torch as well

Posted

I read many years ago you could read a newspaper at midnight on the Shetlands at midnight in June (without moonlight), I have never known if that is true.

It's probable - although doubtless the Shetlanders on here can confirm or deny it. Even 30 miles south of Edinburgh it's perfectly possible to see well enough to garden at 1 in the morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Even 30 miles south of Edinburgh it's perfectly possible to see well enough to garden at 1 in the morning.

and do you :cc_confused:

Posted

and do you :cc_confused:

Where I live in west London, no! A friend who used to live in the Southern Uplands did.

Posted

A few years ago I went camping in the Cairngorms in the week of the summer solstice, and could read books outside until about 2330 BST with a clear sky. After that (until about 0300 when the daylight woke me) I found it impossible to read, but it would certainly have been possible to navigate in the absence of lighting- the outline of the land was easily visible, and the sky was nowhere near black, even away from the direction of the sun.

Here you can see that glow in the north on a clear June night, but between midnight and 0300 you'd need a torch to walk back to your tent in the countryside. It's as good as daylight by 0400, and books can be read outdoors until between 2200 and 2230.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It's probable - although doubtless the Shetlanders on here can confirm or deny it. Even 30 miles south of Edinburgh it's perfectly possible to see well enough to garden at 1 in the morning.

I sometimes have difficulty sleeping as a result of the twilight - no matter which way I shift my bed while home for the summer, I can still see the orb of light slowly moving across the sky from sun"set" to sun"rise". Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that it's light until beyond 11 up here, great for BBQs, parties, sport etc - but I do like to have pitch darkness while sleeping.

Midwinter on the other hand :)

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

i can't wait for the light early hours at 4am, i enjoy the bird song, and it does not affect my sleep, infact the bird song helps calm me for getting to sleep if i get woken up and i hear the birds singing im fine.:whistling:

Posted

It depends on the newspaper because the local Shetland Times has no news printed within it as nothing ever happens there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

It depends on the newspaper because the local Shetland Times has no news printed within it as nothing ever happens there.

http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

A strange thing you might notice by this time of year is how light comes into the house on the northern side very late and early in the day.

This morning I needed a pee about 3am an it was curious to see light coming in from the 'wrong side'

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Yup! you were probably under the same dark blanket of cloud that brought us a very early twilight last night Mr D. Sadly it normally the end of the kids hols that I tend to notice the earlier twilights but not this year!

Posted

Sadly, the lingering twilight season is drawing to a close. In the far south, it has ended and this will spread further north through the rest of this month and into August.

We have lingering twilight here until 4th August. It is not nice to consider that in just five months time, the sun rises here about 0830 and sets again before 4 PM.

By the way, in the bleak mid-winter, if there is snow on the ground, full moon and clear skies, you can also read a newspaper in the garden without artificial illumination :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Definitely feeling the loss of the late sunsets here now. 2015 and it's time to put a light on despite breaks in the cloud.

Gladly got a good month or so before it draws in too much.

• 8 months later...
Posted

You said earlier in the thread that the twilight is only experienced north of 48 degrees N- does that mean Paris experiences it at 48N or not at all? I imagine if it does it must be for a very short time.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

You said earlier in the thread that the twilight is only experienced north of 48 degrees N- does that mean Paris experiences it at 48N or not at all? I imagine if it does it must be for a very short time.

A very short time, you wouldn't even notice it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Nowhere in the UK experiences true night, but only at certain latitudes can you identify the tiniest bit of light during the night.

Down in London, even though true night is unknown in June, you cannot tell the difference, according to a person I know who lives down there.

Up here, you can tell, but you have to actually look, it's not something you just see while walking outside at 12am in the morning (unless you're drunk I doubt you do this often) but there is a definite blue tinge, completely different to the pitch dark sky of winter, Autumn and most of Spring. By 2am it's already getting very light to the north east where the sun rises.

Oh, I do love living at the high latitudes. I don't think I would ever sacrifice these long summer days for anything.

Here's a picture taken by someone on another weather forum, not far from here in June at 4am

Posted Image

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted

Well, twilight lasts all night as of today. It probably won't be noticeable until June though. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

2:46am and it's already starting to get light outside from the North East, very noticeable. Probably not so noticeable with total cloud cover but there's large breaks.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Down here I remember a couple of years ago camping over at a friends house in late June, and looking for the lingering twilight to the north and there it was. I think it was about midnight but it could have been earlier before the darkest part of the night.

I love the light evenings at this time of year too, and also the light mornings means you could get up at 4am and go for a walk, or drive to the beach or somewhere with no one else around and a peaceful quietness to photograph a sunrise or something, though I haven't got up early like that recently but have thought about it.

• Like 1