Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

and I may have found some flights from LGW to PHX for £449 in August clap.gif Will update tomorrow once I've called them

if they're available then bag them, prices unlikely to fall the longer you wait

Posted

Hi all

Here is this weeks air fare watch

BA nonstop £880 approx

US AIRWAYS £740 approx 1 stop

KLM/DELTA £750 approx 1 stop

A few post have suggested the may be some cheaper flights available what they don't really tell you is that the price is without taxes etc or just double the prices at is clse to the mark if it still available and the cheaper price was for available in the dim and distant past but they say that leave that price on there as it may return.:wallbash:

however talking to an ex travel agent friend of mine the airlines usally drop their fares about 6 weeks before the date your going to travel to clear any remaining seats

so keep an eye out on those websites.

note to powers that be the need to book airline seats in getting greater if we are not to pay through the nose for a seat as it it already as expensive time of year . hint hint :whistling:

i am now on hoilday in france from tommorow but i will have internet access .

with only just over 7 weeks to go i am offically now in full ramping holiday mode. 8)

paul

The storm fisherman

Edited by the storm fisherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Hey Guys,

I've just checked out the AA website and found flights for £815 that have a stop in either Chicago or Dallas which is encouraging bearing in mind these were more expensive the last time I checked . I also spoke with friend of mine in the US and he said that as long as we can get to main hub airport then we should have no problem getting a reasonably priced internal flight (confirms Paul S's comment) , although there seems to be no price difference in getting to Chicago, New York or LA for that matter, !! Flying from Gatwick also seems marginally cheaper.

I'm not entirely convinced these are going to go down much further as the main expense seems to be the taxes just getting out of the UK (unsurprisingly!!), so don't know whether just to bite the bullet or not

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hey Guys,

I've just checked out the AA website and found flights for £815 that have a stop in either Chicago or Dallas which is encouraging bearing in mind these were more expensive the last time I checked . I also spoke with friend of mine in the US and he said that as long as we can get to main hub airport then we should have no problem getting a reasonably priced internal flight (confirms Paul S's comment) , although there seems to be no price difference in getting to Chicago, New York or LA for that matter, !! Flying from Gatwick also seems marginally cheaper.

I'm not entirely convinced these are going to go down much further as the main expense seems to be the taxes just getting out of the UK (unsurprisingly!!), so don't know whether just to bite the bullet or not

Hi Clair

our best option at the moment is DELTA/ KLM @ £756 LGW DEP 09:00 ARRIVE PHOENIX 17:38 VIA ATLANTA AND A 11.15 DEP PHOENIX ARR LGW 7.40 AM AGAIN VIA ATLANTA

the fare was on the opdoo web site

or BA at £921 gone up again.

i will wait till we get green light.

keep the faith

paul

50 days and counting :yahoo:

Posted

Hi all

The NWS has just issued their weekly forcast and they expect the monsoon to start towards end of this coming week

the high pressure system is set to setup shop in the 4 corners region by next saturday. with the increasing chace of thunderstorms spredding from east to west.:clap::bomb:

here is the link to NWS forcast page.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=psr&product=AFD&format=CI&glossary=1

thanks for the update paul it looks like things are starting to happen.

paul h

the storm fisherman

Posted

Ok I've cracked :doh: Do we have a green light ?

Posted

Very much ON! Spoke with Susan Strom today about when we come over, just waiting 1 more week and if no further reductions might all have to go with the KLM From LGW :pardon: But it is defo on for the 16th August :drinks:

Posted

Very much ON! Spoke with Susan Strom today about when we come over, just waiting 1 more week and if no further reductions might all have to go with the KLM From LGW :pardon: But it is defo on for the 16th August :drinks:

I wish i could get a loan out for this! :(....

Posted

A friend of mine moved over (Tucson) there this year and was woken in the early hours by a storm :)

Edited by Joneseye

Posted

:air_kiss::air_kiss: :air_kiss: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !! (that's a thanks btw!!)

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hi Paul, claire and craig

that is goood news anybody looking to book flights i would hang on till after the weekend the fare should be around £750-760 i checked the kayak website this lunchtime and flights where going for £800 but checked again and the flight prices are back to where they have been for the last couple of weeks so i think that is about the best we are going to get.

the flight to go for is the DELTA/KLM FROM GATWICK DEPT 09.00 TO PHOENIX SKY HARBOUR ARR 17.43 LOCAL TIME

WITH A 3HOUR 10 MIN LAYOVER IN ATLANTA CURRENT PRICE £753.:good:

BA IS AN EYEWATERING £936 YOU CAN FLY TO AUSTRAILA CHEAPER.:angry:

ps paul can we go hurrincane chasing if there is one close by :diablo:

Posted

ps paul can we go hurrincane chasing if there is one close by :diablo:

Gah!

Dont even joke about that - Pmsl

When I went in 2008 a Hurricane moved across the GOM And moved North West across the Texas Hill Country and New Mexico, end result was the Moisture wiped out and our group encamped enmasse to Tampa Bay to finish the shoot! :nonono:

Paul

Posted

Gah!

Dont even joke about that - Pmsl

When I went in 2008 a Hurricane moved across the GOM And moved North West across the Texas Hill Country and New Mexico, end result was the Moisture wiped out and our group encamped enmasse to Tampa Bay to finish the shoot! :nonono:

Paul

oh well just a wicked thought

but on a more serious note i am looking forward to a good decent firework display or two if the scenery is half as good there should be some wicked photo ops to be had.

paul.

Posted

Only just noticed this thread.

I read the blog Paul posted and this sounds a fasinating chase. What did put me off is when I read about Tarantulas and Scorpions!

Out of curiousity when chasing across Oklahoma etc do they have Tarantulas in those states. One day I would love to go storm chasing but I have a dreadful fear of spiders.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Only just noticed this thread.

I read the blog Paul posted and this sounds a fasinating chase. What did put me off is when I read about Tarantulas and Scorpions!

Out of curiousity when chasing across Oklahoma etc do they have Tarantulas in those states. One day I would love to go storm chasing but I have a dreadful fear of spiders.

Dave

I would love to see the person who has a bigger fear of spiders in this world than me :nonono: Even the picture Pat posted up in the gallery a few months ago on here had me wretching and diving away from the Pluter.

And yes they have the full spectrum of Spiders in Oklahoma, including Tarantula's and Recluse and Fiddleback Spiders!

Paul

Posted

oh well just a wicked thought

but on a more serious note i am looking forward to a good decent firework display or two if the scenery is half as good there should be some wicked photo ops to be had.

paul.

The scenery is definately worth it even without the fireworks! I passed through Arizona last year and took more pictures of the journey than of the Grand Canyon!! Still not so sure about the Scorpions though !!!

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Arizona Monsoon bit slow at the moment but will be increasing over the next few weeks - This is for Tomorrow Sunday 3rd July

...SOUTHERN AZ...

MOISTURE IS LIKELY TO INCREASE/SURGE WEST-NORTHWESTWARD ACROSS

AZ/LOWER CO RIVER VALLEY INTO SUNDAY VIA A MONSOONAL

REGIME/INCREASING EASTERLIES. WITH TSTM POTENTIAL INCREASING AND THE

POSSIBILITY OF EASTERLY STEERING FLOW...STRONG DOWNDRAFT WINDS MAY

OCCUR/SPREAD ONTO THE DESERT FLOOR WITHIN A DEEPLY MIXED

ENVIRONMENT.

Posted

Arizona Monsoon bit slow at the moment but will be increasing over the next few weeks - This is for Tomorrow Sunday 3rd July

...SOUTHERN AZ...

MOISTURE IS LIKELY TO INCREASE/SURGE WEST-NORTHWESTWARD ACROSS

AZ/LOWER CO RIVER VALLEY INTO SUNDAY VIA A MONSOONAL

REGIME/INCREASING EASTERLIES. WITH TSTM POTENTIAL INCREASING AND THE

POSSIBILITY OF EASTERLY STEERING FLOW...STRONG DOWNDRAFT WINDS MAY

OCCUR/SPREAD ONTO THE DESERT FLOOR WITHIN A DEEPLY MIXED

ENVIRONMENT.

sounds like one or two haboobs also looking at past years if we catch it right we should be on to a good one if we do not hit a break point although the length of time we are out there we shoud'nt missmuch if we do.

Edited by the storm fisherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora
Dave I would love to see the person who has a bigger fear of spiders in this world than me 

Even the picture Pat posted up in the gallery a few months ago on here had me wretching and diving away from the Pluter.

And yes they have the full spectrum of Spiders in Oklahoma, including Tarantula's and Recluse and Fiddleback Spiders!

Paul

Me! Well, I was worried about them too! I can't look at damn pictures of them either and I can only just about cope even if a money spider gets on me. But I didn't see one and I was petrified of the recluse... tarantulas well I couldn't have dealt with them and I think my brain didn't even absorb that they could be where I was.

For me anyway things were fine, none seen, apart from Pat's damn paperweight thing with a bloody great spider thing in it, though he kindly hid it away otherwise I would have been having heart attacks every time I saw it :D I think Mr Vicary had a bit of an episode though...

Don't be afraid to go on a tour! I was concerned and believe me, I hate spiders, have even had hypnotherapy in the past to try to beat it. On the whole you don't see them, well, I didn't anyway. The storms and weather overpowered my fear in the end. I'd go back and do another tour again, certainly. I'm sure there will be others to support you if you did take particular offence to any critters that came along...

Posted

BA Has a Sale on at the moment and the price from London to Pheonix has dropped from the £900's down to £818 and that is a direct flight. Considering all the faffing with the Changeover and 1 or 2 stop flights still being £752 I am really tempted to bite the bullet on this pretty soon.

Sale runs until July 12th btw :good:

Posted

Sorry, a little off topic but as there is a BA sale at the minute would it be worth looking at flights for next years storm chase?