Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing

Paul Sherman

Posted

I can't think about it yet, the anticipation of tour 1 in the alley is enough to make me burst already, I really am spoiling myself this year :drinks::drunk::clap::yahoo:

And Mr Fisherman, what a birthday thats going to be !! Looking forward to the celebrations :drinks:

my birthday present came early about two weeks ago a work colleague was bit strapped for cash and was selling his nikon d80 with the standard kit lens for £350 it is like new hardly ever used what a bargin i have owned one befor so look to take some great lighnting shots this year . as for the anticiption factor i am treating this as jan and not april so it feels like i am going stormchasing.as i know how difficult it willl be for the next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Dare i ask but has anybody looked into flights yet ? wallbash.gif

BTW .. I found this nice link about lightening photography which may be of interest :

http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniques.php?cat=lightning&page=lightning

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Dare i ask but has anybody looked into flights yet ? wallbash.gif

Hi duckeyh

I have been keeping a close eye on ave prices are appox £850 non stop BA and £770 1 stop .

it seems that these prices are subject to the price of fuel going up and down as well as the dollar to £ exchange rate best time to look is monday -tusedays early mornings when the airlines release their weekly seat allocations to the market .

If you have not already looked go to a web comparison site called http://www.kayak.co.uk/

just checked web site

ba non stop £797

multi airlines 1 stop £761

cheapest single airline (united) 1 stop £770 via newark (new york)

paul

the storm fisherman

Hi duckeyh

I have been keeping a close eye on ave prices are appox £850 non stop BA and £770 1 stop .

it seems that these prices are subject to the price of fuel going up and down as well as the dollar to £ exchange rate best time to look is monday -tusedays early mornings when the airlines release their weekly seat allocations to the market .

If you have not already looked go to a web comparison site called http://www.kayak.co.uk/

just checked web site

ba non stop £797

paul

the storm fisherman

ps forgot to mention that the higher cost of the ba non stop flights is off set by the savings in flight times unless budget is really stretched.

Posted

Hi duckeyh

just checked web site

ba non stop £797

paul

the storm fisherman

Cheers Paul, It 's pretty much what I've found but am struggling to make a decison after some bad luck with flights recently. I suggested to Craig that we try to co-ordinate as there will only be a few of us, have you booked yours ?

Claire

Posted

Cheers Paul, It 's pretty much what I've found but am struggling to make a decison after some bad luck with flights recently. I suggested to Craig that we try to co-ordinate as there will only be a few of us, have you booked yours ?

Claire

Hi Claire

yes i know how infurating flight delays can be as fly with continental last year on the way back from usa i was stuck for 3 days in houston texas but at least i got to vist kenedy space and mission control center .

i will probably fly BA as the cost difference is not too great although i can not speak for paul s but he has hinted that he will fly with BA as well

but until the deposits are paid i will not book my flight yet as i see that the cost on the ba flight does not seem differ that

much .

but if the BA flight is not an option or to expensive; of all the flight options i have looked at the best for cost and time is delta from gatwick to atlanta a 4hr layover in atlanta get in to phoenix approx 1 hr later than the ba flight

but it is a 9am depart from gatwick.

and i have flown with delta apart from last year; for a few years out to the states and not really had any issues with them and i trust them a bit more than the others

paul h

Posted

Hi Claire

yes i know how infurating flight delays can be as fly with continental last year on the way back from usa i was stuck for 3 days in houston texas but at least i got to vist kenedy space and mission control center .

i will probably fly BA as the cost difference is not too great although i can not speak for paul s but he has hinted that he will fly with BA as well

but until the deposits are paid i will not book my flight yet as i see that the cost on the ba flight does not seem differ that

much .

but if the BA flight is not an option or to expensive; of all the flight options i have looked at the best for cost and time is delta from gatwick to atlanta a 4hr layover in atlanta get in to phoenix approx 1 hr later than the ba flight

but it is a 9am depart from gatwick.

and i have flown with delta apart from last year; for a few years out to the states and not really had any issues with them and i trust them a bit more than the others

paul h

Sounds like a plan. BA is fine as I have vowed never to fly AA again after Thursday's escapade (well at least for this year!!) Thanks also for the tip on Delta, this sounds like an option to as I have friends in Atlanta. I won't be making any decisions at least until the jetlag has gone

Posted

hi all

for those of us hoping to go to arizona in aug the prices of flights to USA have taken a fall today

1 stop £499 with dutch airline KLMnon stop with ba is still £830. but after this i think their fares will fall.

will update is any more notable falls occur but going in right direction.

paul

Edited by the storm fisherman

Posted

Hiya, Thanks for the update

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

My daughter was recently in the region and visited Arizona's Grand Canyon (north rim) and Zion National Park in Utah. These are a couple of photos that she took at the Grand Canyon and one from Zion (picture on left).

post-4238-0-92889900-1307634988_thumb.jp

post-4238-0-92987900-1307635059_thumb.jp

post-4238-0-54654800-1307635394_thumb.jp

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

Hi all

Now that tornado season is all but over for this year for those of uswho want a storm fix or can not wait till next year the next stop is coming up in over just 8 weeks in phoenix

current flight prices as of today Sunday @17.40

are

klm/delta via atalanta retrun via detroit for £752 (lands about 20 mins after the ba flight) there is a number of options around this price at the moment i have not mentioned us airways as the the return is over 27 hours and their standards arenot to too great either.

or BA non stop £904

Because of the BA prices keep rising, i think at the momment i will be going via delta as the ba prices seem not to be falling but keep on rising supply and demand i suppose

i will update with current flight prices each sunday or if there are any good savings to be had watch this space.

paul

the storm fisherman

Posted

Hey Paul,

Craig sent me this link and was saying that he looked at flights, that were coming up at £500 ish for flights in July http://www.cheapflig...flights-online/ . Although I have to admit I'm getting itchy to book flights myself. wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

I saw on FB that Paul S was going to speak to Susan Strom about the Wildfire situation as the fires seem to have been widespread and out of control over the last few days, so it's another reason to hold off

Claire

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hey Paul,

Craig sent me this link and was saying that he looked at flights, that were coming up at £500 ish for flights in July http://www.cheapflig...flights-online/ . Although I have to admit I'm getting itchy to book flights myself. wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

I saw on FB that Paul S was going to speak to Susan Strom about the Wildfire situation as the fires seem to have been widespread and out of control over the last few days, so it's another reason to hold off

Claire

Hi Claire

thanks for link there seems to be some deals to be had but they are over the phone . i wonder if the prices are available when we go to book

but the wild fire situation is the problematic one at the moment.

paul.

Posted

Cheapest I have found today is £732 or the £450 pound over the phone which as Paul says will probably not be anywhere near our dates or include charges to make it nearer the first figure anyway.

Have spoken with Susan and the Wildfire situation will not affect the Chase Area, it is mainly spreading towards New Mexico and Southern Colorado etc so dont worry about that atm

Paul S

Posted

Cheapest I have found today is £732 or the £450 pound over the phone which as Paul says will probably not be anywhere near our dates or include charges to make it nearer the first figure anyway.

Have spoken with Susan and the Wildfire situation will not affect the Chase Area, it is mainly spreading towards New Mexico and Southern Colorado etc so dont worry about that atm

Paul S

Me worry...never! whistling.gif Ta for the update. Do you reckon if we hold off a little flights maybe cheaper?

Posted

Ee lad you not got over you jet lag and you planning your next flights

Sir Bruce

Gotta have something to look forward to Brucie :clap:

Claire I am hoping we can get some deals in the next few weeks. Best bet is some of these Online Sites that try to give seats away nearer the time, although Sky Harbour does not have many International Flights which is a problem.

Has anyone thought about booking a cheapo route like NYC & Then trying to get a Southwest Airlines flight internally (SWA Are like our Easyjet) have seen those return flights for as little as $120 for instance, if we could ping off a LHR-NYC Flight for around £375 we could be in business. :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Thanks Roger. Noted all of the above, the great thing is we have Susan Strom on tap who knows all the best Lightning Vantage Points especially the Mogollan Rim, went to Flaggy myself in 2008 and saw some amazing T-Storms at 7,000ft above Sea Level, the smell of Pine was overwhelming as well.

Cant wait for this and hope it takes off like the Tornado Tours, I am sure it will as good company is as important on these trips.

Paul S

PALO DURO CANYON

Posted

Gotta have something to look forward to Brucie :clap:

Claire I am hoping we can get some deals in the next few weeks. Best bet is some of these Online Sites that try to give seats away nearer the time, although Sky Harbour does not have many International Flights which is a problem.

Has anyone thought about booking a cheapo route like NYC & Then trying to get a Southwest Airlines flight internally (SWA Are like our Easyjet) have seen those return flights for as little as $120 for instance, if we could ping off a LHR-NYC Flight for around £375 we could be in business. :unknw:

the other Paul did mention Delta airlines to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Phoenix........... NYC is another idea will have a mooch around, but I think our problem is we'll be coming back on bank holiday weekend

Hi Tom

i think it might be in this case the GRAND CANYON :D :D

i would love to catch a thunder storm at the canyon.

huh be still my beating heart !!!!..........somewhere around the Western Rim would be awesome !! Although have to admit I want one over a ghost town a la Susan Strom !

Posted

Hi all

The talk over on stormtrack is the mongollan rim this year,

the one concern is the current lack of moisture the dewpoints are well below ave at the moment hopefuly this will climb

near to normal when the gom flow kicks in

hopefuly later this month one to watch.

ps i write this paul s is on tv again it4v and 2008 tour

paul h

Posted

Yeah the dew points have been struggling, but are showing signs of improvement,

post-8389-0-08858700-1308248636_thumb.jp

Two months today ! :yahoo:

and I may have found some flights from LGW to PHX for £449 in August clap.gif Will update tomorrow once I've called them