Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coast

Kids Picking Daffodils

Of course stealing something that doesn't belong to you is wrong and deserves a fitting punishment or at least cautionary advice/ticking off. But was the calling of the Police to a family with three young girls picking daffodils and the subsequent dealing with the incident appropriate and measured?

Should the parents have acted more responsibly and taught their children that this was wrong? Were the actions of the Local Councillor who first saw them and the subsequent 20 minutes observation then warning by two Police officers, an over reaction or should these things be stopped before it leads to other things?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12757118

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/17/picking-fight-over-daffodils

Obviously there is so little real crime to deal with that they have time to waste doing this...

I think the Police response was over the top but the parents shouldn't have let it happen in the first place. If parents don't tell their kids what's right and wrong, how do they learn?

I think the Police response was over the top but the parents shouldn't have let it happen in the first place. If parents don't tell their kids what's right and wrong, how do they learn?

Agreed, it's the parents responsibility to tell their children that the picking of flowers is wrong. Twenty flowers might not seem many, but if everyone were allowed to do this there would soon be nothing left.

We certainly wouldn't pick flowers on this estate as we'd be shot by the gamekeeper :lol:

I personally think it is a total over reaction (and to be honest, I didn't realise myself that picking a few flowers from a park owned by the public was a crime) Yes, from someones garden, but a public park...?

When I was younger, my mum used to take me and my sister Bluebell picking in our local park - only picked enough to fill a vase at home. We didnt profit from it, it was just something families did back in the good old days before kids became cooped up at home in front of the TV or x-box!

Depends what they were actually doing. Kids can do a lot of damage when not properly supervised. Since we weren't there we don't know what actually happened and whether the councilor is telling the truth or the parents.

Parents generally get very aggressive when there little darlings are misbehaving and when the bad behavior is pointed out so reporting to the police would be the right thing. The surprise is that the police actually turned up as they tend not too for more serious crimes. When they did so they handled it correctly, no arrests and advised the parents to be parents and keep the kids under control.

Pretty much a none story hyped up by the media.

Ahh I see Snow Raven was one the people responsible for the reduction of bluebells tut tut shame on you.

picking wild flowers UNLESS they have a protection order on them is surely not a crime, PROVIDING only small amounts, say to put in a smallish vase, are picked.

Being a hiker for over 30 years, most places in the wild, at the start of protected areas have signs warning against picking flowers, anyone caught doing so in these areas deserves to be prosecuted. Obviously in the remote locations these are often in is easier said than done.

The number quoted by the parent was 20, hardly worthy of the reaction. But then one has to think if 500 or more families did the same in the same place the effect that would have.

Issues like this are never easy to make sensible compromises.

When I was younger I used to pick daisies from time to time, but never in large amounts (I would always feel guilty if I did, on the grounds "if I pick too many there won't be many left"). I still occasionally pick the odd bit of grass today. I don't recall ever getting pulled up for it.

I don't remember ever picking daffodils but I definitely recall accidentially uprooting the odd one here and there by walking across fields full of them, as recently as last summer.

The first account says that the children were accused of picking 80 of them, which sounds somewhat excessive and out of order, but 20 sounds rather less so- we don't know who is lying and who is telling the truth unfortunately. I'd have thought that the best approach would have been to give them a ticking off for it "face to face", and if they hurled a load of abuse back, then perhaps calling the police would have been more reasonable, but calling the police straightaway was OTT.

The birch would seem an appropriate punishment in this situation.

Yes, but for the parents.

Back in my day the park would have a warden who would have clipped them around the ear or given them a red backside and then sent them off never to do it again.

Yet another case of the punnishment not really fitting the crime, of course taking anything without permission is wrong but picking a few flowers isn't really enough to justify police action, just a adult explaining why we don't do things like that should be enough.

Nose picking should be nipped in the bud too !

post-10773-0-04344500-1300372276_thumb.j

TWS, I can imagine you in the meadow picking daisies :p

The birch would seem an appropriate punishment in this situation.

and you call me miserable..... :lol:

I'm shocked daffodilism how dare you what next Blue Bellism???

Obviously there is so little real crime to deal with that they have time to waste doing this...

80 bunches of flowers I would have thought a reasonable prison sentance (10 yrs) ?

• Not such super weather for Super Saturday and increasingly windy for Sunday

It's not going to be an especially summery weekend. So if you're planning a visit to a pub garden, it may involve shower dodging or dealing with gusty winds. Those winds will be particularly strong on Sunday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Is it summer? Windy with rain at times this weekend

Unseasonably windy and cloudy with rain at times over the weekend, particularly wet in the north, though feeling humid for a time Saturday. Drier weather in the south next week, but the north staying unsettled. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather