Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Japan: Earthquake, Tsunami + Nuclear Disasters

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m

I think Japan will have to seriously reconsider their nuclear reactor policy after this.

Which energy sources do you suggest (other than nuclear)? Oil and war every 5 years like USA?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Which energy sources do you suggest (other than nuclear)? Oil and war every 5 years like USA?

Good lord no! No I meant that the authorities there might need a thorough rethink on their nuclear policy in terms of making better contingency plans. However I don't think there are any 'easy' solutions to the energy question for any of us, no matter where we live. Maybe they could use wave energy or wind energy to supplement their nuclear electricity production instead?

Posted

../../public/style_images/master/snapback.pngKonstantinos, on 13 March 2011 - 17:09 , said:

Good lord no! No I meant that the authorities there might need a thorough rethink on their nuclear policy in terms of making better contingency plans. However I don't think there are any 'easy' solutions to the energy question for any of us, no matter where we live. Maybe they could use wave energy or wind energy to supplement their nuclear electricity production instead?

How about Geothermal energy. A bit harder for a country like us but Japan and all ring of fire/volcanic countries should consider that I feel.

• Like 1

Posted

Extremely trivial but something that has always made me scratch my head when these earthquakes happen in the far east but why is it the Japanese meteorological office that reports the magnitudes of earthquakes and tsunami threats and not the Japanese geological or geophysical office? Meteorology is the study of the atmosphere, the Met Office doesn't report earthquakes in this country. I would have thought in a seismic active country it would have its own geophysical office.

Posted

Deepest sympathy's go out to all effected.

Just came across this video, 4 mins in there is some ground footage showing the first wave coming. Staggering.

Tsnami Footage

Surprised to hear talk of haarp on this site. It's all speculation without hard evidence, but as it's a military project you will never hear the details of it to be able to provide hard evidence.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been talked about regarding the jet stream abnormalities, prime suspect for that blasting the ionosphere.

As a sound engineer I can tell you the principle behind it is very accurate. We have tunnel vision and hearing in terms of frequency, we see and hear very narrow bands of what exists in these powerful spectrum's.

This technology was discovered 100 odd years ago by Nickola Tesla. How many watts do they say it can use??? I have seen and heard conflicting reports on that but just look at the size of the plants and how many spread around the world there are.

One thing i know is frequency is a powerful tool to be messing with. Your heart beats at a frequency, your cells vibrate at a frequency. Sound has long been proven to heal, when Monks are meditating they hum to create healing vibrations.

This planet has a frequency which keeps the form of the things we see. Change the frequency, change the planet. Sound creates form, a science known as Cymatics. Have a look at this vid for an example of the beauty of sound, as the pitch changes it creates new patterns or a new form.

A deep subject that has many levels, just scratching the surface here to explain how some of the claims of haarp are not scientifically unfounded. It would take me days to post all the info i have so far discovered on my journey into sound color and light.

Something that could be unbelievably deadly in the wrong hands.

This is a conspiracy favorite from few years ago.

Clearly we live in a world of deception and corrupt leaders so I don't actually think its that far out there.

Using depleted uranium in Iraq and Afghanistan to me is unbelievable but it's a reality. Weapons of mass destruction was said to be a reality but was in fact make believe.

Interesting point about HAARP, I'll look through the archives to see if there's anything in the past about it

Posted

As I said on Friday I am sure it will re-ignite the nuclear debate in Japan and the rest of the world, but in truth the many other exotic and wonderful power generation processes put forward are pretty much non starters when it comes to the amount of power needed. We know that fossil fuel burning is not the way ahead, simply whatever your ecological stance is we are going to run out of the stuff.

Nuclear power will remain the major power source for Japan and new plants will be built all over the world. Like any disaster lessons will be learnt to make the process safer and mistakes will be corrected, from a technical point of view this accident helps the future of nuclear generation. But like any disaster it comes at a human cost.

Edited by HighPressure

Any one else think this could co inside with the luner perigee?

I think it is quite possible, obviously as the moon gets closer it will exert more of a gravitational pull which could affect the earth's mantle which as we all know is not rigid.

It is certainly a theory deserving of further study.

No, no and thrice no (and he would, wouldn't he).

Far stronger solar flares have not occurred at the same time (more or less) as earthquakes in such a pattern as to make any link provable (e.g. was there a major earthquake around the time of the flare in March 1989 that blacked out much of eastern Canada and the north-eastern US?). The difference between the pull of gravity between the Earth and Moon next week because of the closer than normal "supermoon" (what idiot came up with that term?) is insignificant compared to the total gravitational pull. Tectonic activity on the Earth is quite sufficient to account for whatever earthquakes we have without nonsense self-publicising pseudo-science.

Although it would be a stretch of the imagination to attribute the earth quake to solar flares, I believe it possible that the increased gravitational pull of the moon by its closer than normal proximity could play apart in the equation. These fault lines are under continuing stress which increases with time without any movement of the plates until such a time as the forces overcome the friction preventing them from moving. It might just be that the extra force produced by a "close moon" might have been the straw which broke the camel's back. Having said that, with the forces involved an earthquake would have been enevitable eventually, even without this. It's the nature of how these things work.

I did read somewhere and I forget the source but it goes along the lines of whilst our planet is geologically active it helps sustain life inasmuch as the activity sustains the magnetic field without which life on earth would have little protection from the more damaging radiation from the sun with the possibility of rendering our planet sterile.

Having suffered from the two A bombs at the end of WWII, I feel certain that the Japanese governments at the time would have done a great deal of soul searching before they went ahead with their nuclear power program and that once they decided to go ahead I feel fairly confident that they would have taken into account the best knowledge available but unfortunately, it appears, they were caught out by the worst earthquake in 140 years with the added complication of a tsunami.

At the same time Japan was in need of energy and not have, or very few natural resources, this was no doubt considered as the best option at the time.

It is so easy to make critisisms with hindsight. At the same time our hearts go out for their grievious losses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Having suffered from the two A bombs at the end of WWII, I feel certain that the Japanese governments at the time would have done a great deal of soul searching before they went ahead with their nuclear power program and that once they decided to go ahead I feel fairly confident that they would have taken into account the best knowledge available but unfortunately, it appears, they were caught out by the worst earthquake in 140 years with the added complication of a tsunami.

At the same time Japan was in need of energy and not have, or very few natural resources, this was no doubt considered as the best option at the time.

It is so easy to make critisisms with hindsight. At the same time our hearts go out for their grievious losses.

Good post - I'd have a little more sympathy with the nuclear power industry if they weren't so guarded about the accidents, though (of which there are far more than many people realise) and so unwilling to being open about the concequences - witness the difficulty exposing the extent of the damaged caused by the fire at Sellafield (Then Windscale) in 1957.

Nevertheless, you're right about hindsight - it's also important to include context - far more people (by a factor of hundreds) have been killed mining coal or drilling for oil than have died as the direct result of civillian nuclear accidents (accepting that the number indirect deaths resulting from civillian nuclear accidents may never be known).

Some of the pictures on the news today have been heart-breaking - the scenes in Sendai in particular looked apocalyptic.

Posted

One odd fact I heard yesterday:

Japan's recent massive earthquake, one of the largest ever recorded, appears to have moved the island by about 2.4m, the US Geological Survey said.

"That's a reasonable number," USGS seismologist Paul Earle said. "Eight feet, that's certainly going to be in the ballpark."

Friday's 8.9 magnitude quake unleashed a terrifying tsunami that engulfed towns and cities on Japan's north-eastern coast, destroying everything in its path in what Prime Minister Naoto Kan said was an "unprecedented national disaster".

The quake and its tectonic shift resulted from "thrust faulting" along the boundary of the Pacific and North America plates, according to the USGS.

The Pacific plate pushes under a far western wedge of the North America plate at the rate of about 83mm per year, but a colossal earthquake can provide enough of a jolt to dramatically move the plates, with catastrophic consequences.

"With an earthquake this large, you can get these huge ground shifts," Mr Earle said. "On the actual fault you can get 20 metres of relative movement, on the two sides of the fault."

He said similar movements would have been seen for Chile and Indonesia.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/9002233/quake-moves-japan-2-4m/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Just hearing / reading the quake has now been

upgraded in power to 9.0 on the Richter Scale.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think it is quite possible, obviously as the moon gets closer it will exert more of a gravitational pull which could affect the earth's mantle which as we all know is not rigid.

It is certainly a theory deserving of further study.

It would be, if someone could produce any evidence for a correlation; maybe a repetitive clumping of 'quakes at or around these so-called 'supermoon' events? Without any supporting data such claims are less than hypotheses...

Posted

Unfortunate news that the fuel rods(highly radioactive) are now exposed in the 3rd reactor.

Also that radiation is spreading 100-150 kms away from the power stations now.

This news is pretty terrible if true.

Posted

just turning away from the horrendous possibilities that could follow from the nuclear problem.

As I see the photos/videos I tend to sit open mouthed at such utter and total destruction, one can only feel for the survivors and any lost relatives or friends, let alone the material losses.

Some reports suggest that the earth has been moved about 10cm off its previous position with Japan having 'moved' some 2 metres but I'm not sure how reliable any of this is?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Which why the nuclear companies need to be good boys and not make up safety records. This is one of the reasons why the public doesn't trust them. Interestingly the US had to move one of there vessels due to the radiation and they are a very long way away which does bring doubts about the actual risk in the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Some reports suggest that the earth has been moved about 10cm off its previous position with Japan having 'moved' some 2 metres but I'm not sure how reliable any of this is?

Yes this is being reported as the case.

I think the boxing day tsunami and earthquake did something similar.

Posted

It would be, if someone could produce any evidence for a correlation; maybe a repetitive clumping of 'quakes at or around these so-called 'supermoon' events? Without any supporting data such claims are less than hypotheses.

Not exactly hard data but i came across this thread, a little skeptical as i see it has been edited on March11th 2011. But looking at the dates and replies it looks like a genuine prediction based on the moons influence.

Accurate prediction?

It is said if the Moon's orbit is aligned with the Earth just right...

in the past.. this has and in the future... will result in causing one or more massive earthquakes.

And it just so happens this coming March 11, 2011 is going to be one of these times

one of those orbits between the Moon and Earth take place.

And, one rumor... already has it that a

California group of geologists are asking their cohorts not to taking any chances..

and - recommend that any

of their cohorts that are going to be caught in what might be called - the back country...

a few days before or after the date of March 11, 2011, be sure to have at least

three months of needed supplies with them.

That doesn't mean California is the place where a major Earthquake takes place on this date.

The most remembered event when this type of orbit took

place was in the middle of the Indian Ocean when a 9.2 earthquake hit December 26. 2004.

And, well over a quarter of a MILLION died caused by the terrible tsunami from the earthquake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But the thing with 'predictions' is that nobody ever recalls the ones that come to nothing - it's called confirmation bias and thus is NOT evidential...But, IMO, some historical data showing a long-term correlation would be...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I posted earlier about what Eurptions said about earthquakes. http://bigthink.com/blogs/eruptions scroll down and you'll see the comments.

Anybody know what the wind will be doing in the next few days as they don't want the raidation blowing inland.

Posted

I posted earlier about what Eurptions said about earthquakes. http://bigthink.com/blogs/eruptions scroll down and you'll see the comments.

Anybody know what the wind will be doing in the next few days as they don't want the raidation blowing inland.

look at the gfs output for that area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

From BBC:

Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima's reactor core, says the design was not enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant's builders, Toshiba, knew this.

What a great idea that was on an earthquake-prone island, especially when the power plant is on the coast! I am firmly pro-nuclear, but that was daft. Hopefully they can resolve the situation but it certainly looks worrying.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

From BBC:

What a great idea that was on an earthquake-prone island, especially when the power plant is on the coast! I am firmly pro-nuclear, but that was daft. Hopefully they can resolve the situation but it certainly looks worrying.

How can a designer blame a builder for building a shoddy design and then claim it was their fault because they knew? If this is the case, shouldn't the blame first fall on the designer and not the construction team? Do we blame an Architect/Engineer if a building falls over or do we blame the builder following their technical instructions?

Posted

From BBC:

I cannot believe what this guy Goto is saying :wallbash:

If you read between the lines it seems fairly inevitable that both reactor 1 & 3 are experiencing at least partial meltdowns. There is little if any information coming out to counter that argument and non what so ever of what a meltdown means not on;y to Japan but the wider planet?