Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Google Services Slowing Website

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Googleleadservices seems to be the problem leading to frequent hangs. A page refresh fixes it but it's now getting rather annoying.

Posted

Not had any other reports Pit, and the ads are in iframes and load independently of the page, so they shouldn't be the cause of issues like that.

If you're getting hangs during page loads it sounds like packet loss - try doing a ping test to netweather and various websites to see if they show any.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm Chaser, Weathermen and Radar Operator

Try Closing Some Programs Down.post-11990-0-34897900-1299692356_thumb.jpost-11990-0-24327100-1299692373_thumb.j Try These Tips Just Close Running Programs That You Ain't Using.

Posted

Not had any other reports Pit, and the ads are in iframes and load independently of the page, so they shouldn't be the cause of issues like that.

If you're getting hangs during page loads it sounds like packet loss - try doing a ping test to netweather and various websites to see if they show any.

More than one pc and one internet provider. Could be a problem with opendns though.

Posted

Potentially, although I'd still put money on it being packet loss - could be location based (even if the pc's are with different networks or different places, they may still use the same network infrastructure if they're relatively near to one another)

Another possibility is Kaspersky if you use it. Have found it often causes pages to hang when I try it.

Posted

Being playing on my Linux box as well and that's the same.

Like I said I use two broadband suppliers Virgin and 02 which are both the same.

I'm beginning to suspect opendns is the problem as a direct connection to 02 bypassing opendns the problem goes away. Will have a play later had enough of computers for the day.

Of course web sites that don't have advertising don't display the problem.

Posted

Interesting not opendns so now looking at my router and soon after doing that the problem fixes itself and I'm back to the same config as before.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I've had similar problems with something that appears to be related to the ads but not for a while. The page stops rendering while it waits for an ad to transfer or it times out, then the rest of the page appears.

Like I said though, I haven't had the problem for quite a while but was just wondering if it could be a glitch in the forum software that objects to the way some ads work?

Posted

That sounds exactly like the issues we were having when we had network problems a while back - ie packet loss. The ads load totally independantly of the page as they're in frames.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Assuming you're not using cr*ppy IE6/7/8 and are using a proper browser, why not just use AdBlocker (works great in both Chrome and Firefox), along with PopUpBlocker. I use both and can't remember the last time I even saw an advert, certainly on the sites I use regularly.

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

• 3 months later...
Posted

Problem is back again but very intermittent. The site at the moment is fast fast slow slow slow slow slow fast fast.

Posted

Problem been on and off since more off then on.

As for adblock adverts are filtered out by the router.