Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CreweCold

A Strange Feeling

Just wondered about peoples' feelings on this......it has happened a few times to me.

I was sat at a friends house the other night with the TV on low and talking away when I came over all strange. Basically I suddenly had a really sinister feeling, like something wasn't right- my friend asked if I was OK because I seemed alert and twitchy....sort of on edge. I told her I just felt like something bad was about to happen. At the same time I felt cold brush against my face and her child's baby monitor started showing interference (like when a phone interferes with speakers) but there were no phones near any of the receivers and there was no messages or calls coming through. This feeling only lasted a couple of minutes; just wondered whether anyone else has ever had this unexplainable thing happen to them before for no apparent reason.

I asked her if her house was haunted (not that I'm necessarily a believer) and my friend went on to tell me that when her toddler was younger, she used to stare at one part of the room and smile......also when she was put in her cot, every night she would laugh uncontrollably and when someone even came near the door to check on her she would go deathly quiet and stop laughing.

I have had something similar but I have always put it down to perhaps changes in sound frequency or electro magnetic frequency.. It's not a particularly nice feeling, but I guess there's a natural explanation somewhere.

I have had something similar but I have always put it down to perhaps changes in sound frequency or electro magnetic frequency.. It's not a particularly nice feeling, but I guess there's a natural explanation somewhere.

Aaaaah glad I am not the only one then. Yes I think you could be right, maybe something along those lines and like you say, it isn't a particularly good feeling. It's particularly striking how it seems to put you on top alert......and on edge temporarily- sort of like when a dog hears a noise and its ears prick up and it's eyes dart around the room.

A very freaky feeling isn't, I had that awful churning in my stomach, you know when you feel really sort of sick and you just know something bad is going to happen. I think there are complete whackos out there with regards to the paranormal, but I find it difficult to believe that everybody who has had an experience of this kind is lying, especially after experiencing it myself. Im not sure what I do or dont believe in, and I certainly don't understand it, but I think there is "something"

Aye, I've had those moments too, quite creepy. Although I've no concrete idea of what really causes them, evolutionary psychology would be where I'd look...Some combination of sub-conscious stimuli, perhaps?

hi crewecold i have had the same experience i actually live in a haunted house . no lies mate . here is my email address [email protected] in box me and ill tell you the strange things that are happening to my family.

hi crewecold i have had the same experience i actually live in a haunted house . no lies mate . here is my email address [email protected] in box me and ill tell you the strange things that are happening to my family.

We all want to know! :)

I have an explanation. I believe this is similar to Déjà vu. Put simply, one experience the feeling you have in a tired state, the conscious part of the brain momentarily switches down, you keep functioning but from different set of synapsis which kick in and in which give a different brain sensation so to speak. I get it when tired and remember the feeling as a child, not often now. The thing is once you understand it you never really get it again as you are conscious of it happening.

Now the fact that you said to your friend "is the house haunted" as an explanation and tied in the baby monitor adds that although you don't say you believe in Ghosts, it is either a quick jump to a rational explanation you wanted, or that you are not interested in a rational explanation and would like to hear some ghost stories. Perhaps this is the onset of Autumn and you are re living a childhood experience of feeling scared as the evenings draw in. I suspect this likley since you have a keen awareness of the weather and all things natural. So I put this down to the season changing, perhaps picking up on Halloween and apples and all that, and being tired.

If there was a Ghost he will change his frequency so as to not interrupt the baby monitor. Also in all the years Scooby Doo existed they never actually saw a real Ghost, so they don't exist fool.gif

I also have that feeling at least once a day.

But when I feel that sinister feeling,in 68 percent of cases,something weird happens in period of 1 hour after that feeling.

Examples:

After I turned off my cathode TV,it glowed greenish for 15 minutes after turning off.I know that it may glow after turning off,but not greenish.

I wrote my homework,but instead of EVERY letter a,I wrote letter o.

I also have that feeling at least once a day.

But when I feel that sinister feeling,in 68 percent of cases,something weird happens in period of 1 hour after that feeling.

Examples:

After I turned off my cathode TV,it glowed greenish for 15 minutes after turning off.I know that it may glow after turning off,but not greenish.

I wrote my homework,but instead of EVERY letter a,I wrote letter o.

Thot must be a hell of o problem.

I have an explanation. I believe this is similar to Déjà vu. Put simply, one experience the feeling you have in a tired state, the conscious part of the brain momentarily switches down, you keep functioning but from different set of synapsis which kick in and in which give a different brain sensation so to speak. I get it when tired and remember the feeling as a child, not often now. The thing is once you understand it you never really get it again as you are conscious of it happening.

Now the fact that you said to your friend "is the house haunted" as an explanation and tied in the baby monitor adds that although you don't say you believe in Ghosts, it is either a quick jump to a rational explanation you wanted, or that you are not interested in a rational explanation and would like to hear some ghost stories. Perhaps this is the onset of Autumn and you are re living a childhood experience of feeling scared as the evenings draw in. I suspect this likley since you have a keen awareness of the weather and all things natural. So I put this down to the season changing, perhaps picking up on Halloween and apples and all that, and being tired.

If there was a Ghost he will change his frequency so as to not interrupt the baby monitor. Also in all the years Scooby Doo existed they never actually saw a real Ghost, so they don't exist fool.gif

Yes I do have an interest in things natural but the autumn theory is a non-starter as this happened in the spring- it's an old thread :)

I would say that I'm a believer that what we perceive to be real and take as such for granted is not necessarily reality in a true form......it's what our limited brains perceive to be reality and we, in effect, accept that as it's all we know. For example, time travel is possible- it's a fact; however we have only managed to transport a tiny atom as we are limited as to what we can comprehend and physically recreate in a laboratory setting. We know of three dimensions but I would wager that there are in fact many more than that in true reality.

Don't like the house I recently moved in to as a few strange things have been happening. One such strange thing is hearing lightswitches flick- had this happen a few times now. The second strange happening came a couple of weeks ago when I woke up to the sound of a door in the house shutting to- no windows were open and it wasn't a windy day. Thirdly, the set top freeview box in my bedroom turned itself off on to standby as I was watching a programme and finally a few weeks back as I was just nodding off to sleep, I was startled to the sound of plates crashing together in the kitchen; leading me to shrivel in fear that the house had been broken in to. I went downstairs to find the pans heaped up out of position on the drainer.

Probably logical explanations for all of the above but not nice occurrences when you live on your own.....I suppose I should 'man up' :p

Don't like the house I recently moved in to as a few strange things have been happening. One such strange thing is hearing lightswitches flick- had this happen a few times now. The second strange happening came a couple of weeks ago when I woke up to the sound of a door in the house shutting to- no windows were open and it wasn't a windy day. Thirdly, the set top freeview box in my bedroom turned itself off on to standby as I was watching a programme and finally a few weeks back as I was just nodding off to sleep, I was startled to the sound of plates crashing together in the kitchen; leading me to shrivel in fear that the house had been broken in to. I went downstairs to find the pans heaped up out of position on the drainer.

Probably logical explanations for all of the above but not nice occurrences when you live on your own.....I suppose I should 'man up' :p

Hello CC,

sounds to me like you've got something supernatural going on mate.all the events can be explained but i would say in time you will experence things that you will find hard to find a rational explanation for.i would do a little research into the property regarding its history and if you know any previous owners or tenants talk to them to see if they have any similar experiences.a property i own has similar things happening all the time and we've learned to live with it,in time you will too.cheers.

Normally, such feelings are associated with some chemical compound that interferes with the brain's normal functioning. There is documentary evidence [1] that shows that if a number of people in a room experience feelings of dread or fear then that could be down to some chemical poisoning or another.

Also, an ancient part of our brain still emits pheromones through skin, amongst other more interesting parts of our body, that transmits our feelings [2]

Put the two together, and one can sit in a car with a bad exhaust, get a bad feeling, walk into a house, give that bad feeling to everyone else ergo: I knew something bad was about to happen, and it did! I went into a haunted house - don't believe me! Everyone else felt it too!

Sorry.

[1] http://en.wikipedia....oxide_poisoning

[2] http://www.nel.edu/2...1R01_Review.htm

Hello CC,

sounds to me like you've got something supernatural going on mate.all the events can be explained but i would say in time you will experence things that you will find hard to find a rational explanation for.i would do a little research into the property regarding its history and if you know any previous owners or tenants talk to them to see if they have any similar experiences.a property i own has similar things happening all the time and we've learned to live with it,in time you will too.cheers.

Hi,

Yes it's certainly very strange. Some strange feelings can be explained as per the post above but as for physical happenings.......

I've been here for 2 months and these happenings appear to be becoming more prolific and noticeable. The house isn't all too old- 1970's I believe, but the row of houses are built on demolished railway works which were in heavy production during the 2 world wars etc. One thing I will say is that I'm no paranormal fanatic- I'm ambivalent to the subject but I can't really deny what I've seen/heard.

Hi,

Yes it's certainly very strange. Some strange feelings can be explained as per the post above but as for physical happenings.......

I've been here for 2 months and these happenings appear to be becoming more prolific and noticeable. The house isn't all too old- 1970's I believe, but the row of houses are built on demolished railway works which were in heavy production during the 2 world wars etc. One thing I will say is that I'm no paranormal fanatic- I'm ambivalent to the subject but I can't really deny what I've seen/heard.

you might be upsetting the fairies with that photo you have there?

Hi,

get your boiler checked or do a survey on the underlying geology. really.

Listen, I'm an open minded individual and see a holistic view of nature, life, politics etc I'm in no way religious and I don't make things up for a response (part and parcel of being an academic). People seem to have a very 'cock sure' ethnocentric view on life as though we fully understand everything that goes on around us......fact is we don't and it's extremely ignorant to think that we do. We can only comprehend a fraction (comparable to to very tip of a pin head) of the physical composition of this earth and in all honesty there are some things that cannot be explained. In this respect science is an oxymoron of itself i.e it seeks to understand and discover 'new' facets of life yet it tries to simplify phenomena into reason that the human brain can understand, thus packaging everything into little neat boxes that make sense to our under developed brains.

As for 'seeing is believing', all i'll say is that we know air (hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen etc) is there but we can't see it in every day living, what proof do you have that other things aren't there that we haven't got the capability to see?...........Anyone?

get your boiler checked or do a survey on the underlying geology. really.

Boiler's brand new, had it put in when I moved in.

I had that happen with a old freeview box all the time, I just put it down to being cheap and crap :rofl:

I had that happen with a old freeview box all the time, I just put it down to being cheap and crap :rofl:

LOL

For sure I get that, but I'm not near any sort of device that would pick up interference. Adrenaline shoots up my back and the hairs on body stand up and I go cold. People have often said my face goes palid and my eyes wide even if it only last a few minutes.

I've always wondered if it's some sort of anxiety attack and it does seem to fit in with that. It's odd though, very unpleasant.

is there but we can't see it in every day living, what proof do you have that other things aren't there that we haven't got the capability to see?...........Anyone?

I can't prove to you that something isn't there in the same way you can't convince me that there isn't a teapot orbiting the earth at super-luminous velocities inside of which lives our creator.

Boiler's brand new, had it put in when I moved in.

Ah, so a new boiler fitted then ... (ie a new event has occured)

Is your house semi-detached? I'm always hearing unoiled door-hinges and light switches, in the flats below...

Sound can carry that's for sure, I was in my girlfriends house and there was huge noise above us in the attic, it sounded like it was above us directly, but it was in the next house, therefore it's easy to see how someone might have questioned if anyone was above the room we were in. I agree therefore with along the lines of what Pete has said.