Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VillagePlank

The Oil Thread

The price of oil is rising! Who cares about the thousand(s) dying in Libya, in a surreal massacre, a genocide by Gaddafi, Oil is going up and we will pay more for our shiny cars :(

No, but seriously, it's getting on my nerves on how everyone's going on about higher oil prices, hmm... let's see if Gaddafi leaves or resigns before we question the prices - truly despicable imo, hundreds are dying by the day, and oil is on people's mind wallbash.gif

The price of oil is rising! Who cares about the thousand(s) dying in Libya, in a surreal massacre, a genocide by Gaddafi, Oil is going up and we will pay more for our shiny cars :(

No, but seriously, it's getting on my nerves on how everyone's going on about higher oil prices, hmm... let's see if Gaddafi leaves or resigns before we question the prices - truly despicable imo, hundreds are dying by the day, and oil is on people's mind wallbash.gif

Haven't you heard? It's got nothing to do with Gaddafi; it's because there's none left ;)

Haven't you heard? It's got nothing to do with Gaddafi; it's because there's none left ;)

Haha! The prices went down yesterday after the rumours that Gaddafi had died - of course he hasn't, but maybe if we want to please the 'wonderful' US, we can kill Gaddafi? Oh, wait Cameron's in Saudi getting some nice dosh on his AK-47's... maybe next week?

Did I say that current price increases are down to peak oil? No, I didn't.

But $80-$90 relates back to supply and demand, as I wrote here:-

http://hozturner.blogspot.com/2010/12/misleading-information-in-post-peak.html

The AK 47 is Russian. Most major countries sell arms.if we dont they will

It was a generalisation, whatever arms we sell.

Oh right then, bit like smoking, if no one buys them, someone else will, the Tories of the 80's, Labour of the 90's and 00's and now the Tories of the 10's have sold arms, and it's the most idiotic policy ever! Anyone who does actually support this has a screw loose - I mean, what the Tories could use against Labour IS the fact that Blair sold arms to the Mid-East, but now Cameron's ruined that, and no doubt, in a few years, they will be used on their own people...

Hopefully the revolutions of the Mid-East and N Africa will have taken place peacefully and successfully by then...

It's not going to change. We have a defence industry whoever is in government. Today's ally will often be tomorrows enemy. It's always been that way and won't change whatever political colours you wear.

Thanks for that piece - I'll read it now :)

Just think, by the time you've finished it, we might have discovered a real alternative for oil.

Just think, by the time you've finished it, we might have discovered a real alternative for oil.

Finished it 5 minutes ago - I don't suppose Great Asby has any ideas, god forbid if Shap does *shudders*

Isolated Frost: Camerons not in Saudi... he got back yesterday.

Keep up! Also if 'no one buys them, someone else will' is a contradiction. The Defence industry is big business, a good business and a necessay evil.

He was also securing other trade deals, which are again beneficial to the UK and our interests, but you ignore those of course.

Isolated Frost: Camerons not in Saudi... he got back yesterday.

Keep up! Also if 'no one buys them, someone else will' is a contradiction. The Defence industry is big business, a good business and a necessay evil.

He was also securing other trade deals, which are again beneficial to the UK and our interests, but you ignore those of course.

So if somebody sells me arms and then I KILL YOU for protesting against my brutal rule...then that's all fine and dandy then?

I don't think it's terribly productive to arm psychopathic leaders.

So if somebody sells me arms and then I KILL YOU for protesting against my brutal rule...then that's all fine and dandy then?

We didn't have a problem for the last 30 years... bit hypocritical to start now don't you think.

We needed oil security, we needed political stability and autocrats were a good and easy way of achieving that.

Oh, and someone is always going to be selling arms, and someone is always going to be using them... I don't really see your point, the 'otherside' is always the evil one right?

We didn't have a problem for the last 30 years... bit hypocritical to start now don't you think.

We needed oil security, we needed poilitical stability and autocrats were a good and easy way of achieving that.

Oh, and someone is always going to be selling arms, and someone is always going to be using them... I don't really see your point, the 'otherside' is always the evil one right?

So.....

You don't think the democratic will of the people in places like Egypt...is worth a damn?

You think they'd want to cut off oil to the West? How terribly presumptuous and judgemental of you..

So.....

You don't think the democratic will of the people in places like Egypt...is worth a damn?

You think they'd want to cut off oil to the West? How terribly presumptuous and judgemental of you..

Can you read? I think I used the word 'were' which of course was the important one. I was stating a past fact not a personal preference.

To be pedantic:

Even after six decades the model and its variants remain the most widely used and popular assault rifles in the world because of its durability, low production cost, and ease of use. It has been manufactured in many countries and has seen service with regular armed forces as well as irregular, revolutionary and terrorist organizations worldwide.

But yes, I take your point......

I agree.

But .... say if you fund the purchasing of arms, instead of supplying them. Something like, using a computer, turning a light switch on, turning your water tap on? Well, at least 2% of that power comes from oil from Libya. That fact that you have a computer on, PP, means that you - yes you: the evil tyrant - are funding terrorists states, who use that funding to buy arms to kill their own people.

Nice one.

(The moral of the story is, as always, selective positioning on one cause or another is almost always irrational)

Can you read? I think I used the word 'were' which of course was the important one. I was stating a past fact not a personal preference.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you gave me the impression that you're rather comfortable about it...

We are responsible for what WE can affect. We are not responsible for what other people do around the world, which we can't affect.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you gave me the impression that you're rather comfortable about it...

We are responsible for what WE can affect. We are not responsible for what other people do around the world, which we can't affect.

Turn your computer off, then.

I agree.

But .... say if you fund the purchasing of arms, instead of supplying them. Something like, using a computer, turning a light switch on, turning your water tap on? Well, at least 2% of that power comes from oil from Libya. That fact that you have a computer on, PP, means that you - yes you: the evil tyrant - are funding terrorists states, who use that funding to buy arms to kill their own people.

Nice one.

(The moral of the story is, as always, selective positioning on one cause or another is almost always irrational)

Unlike most people though, VP.....I am actively involved in pushing for Transition.

How much of our natural gas come from Libya?

I don't travel in a car either.

Unlike most people though, VP.....I am actively involved in pushing for Transition.

I don't travel in a car either.

You are still funding terrorist states. It's rather like giving Japanese whalers a bed for the night and then saying you don't agree with whaling.

Comfortable with what? Murder and genocide; no. Democracy; yes. I was merely saying that for 30-40 years the need of the West was a stable region, producing the oil we craved and keeping religious fundamentalists out. Autocrats served that purpose, funded and trained by the US, aided by Europe with blind eyes turned to various problems. It might not of been right, but it happened. Now we are seeing a change to (hopefully, altho it remains to be seen) more democractic nations. Which is a good thing in the long run for the people of these countries.

Clearer?

You are still funding terrorist states. It's rather like giving Japanese whalers a bed for the night and then saying you don't agree with whaling.

Look VP...

Simply being BORN in this country and society, makes you a murderer by default.

All we can do is to MINIMIZE the damage that we do, and to spread awareness and get involved in pushing towards a different system.

I believe our natural gas comes from Russia - even better. You really need to be locked up; I can't believe you consent to the crushing of the Chechnya people.