Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hoosier Alley? Carolina Alley?

Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

So we all know about tornado alley and pretty much everyone knows about Dixie alley right? now they have found two more 'tornado alleys' Hoosier alley stretching from north Tennessee though Kentucky, indiana, Ohio and southern Michigan. Carolina alley is the smallest only stretching between north and south Carolina Hoosier is third most active behind tornado and Dixie alley and Carolina is 4th respectively.

They have found the strongest and deadliest tornados occur in Dixie alley but tornado alley has more tornados but less Powerful ones followed by Hoosier and Carolina alleys. What new alleys will they find? Typing this on a iPhone is long!!!! Lol

Posted

Here is a render I have come up with using Google Earth of each alley.

Tornadoalleys1.png

Posted

Interesting Map Mate

I would have expected the Texas Panhandle to be in Tornado Alley seeing as it is the Best Chase Country in the World, also from my experience Eastern Colorado and Certainly Western Kansas and Western Nebraska are classed as Tornado Alley only cutting across Nebraska from the Panhandle across the Middle Section due to the Sand Hills region being to Hilly and Data Sparse. Some people also include SE South Dakota to be in Tornado Alley as well.

Dixie Alley I was always led to believe started in Louisiana, went up through Arkansas and Missouri and stopped just short of Iowa, it also took in Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Georgia.

Never heard of Hoosier Alley tbh but agree with the Area of the Carolina's east of the Appalachians (This works like a Mini Rockies Situation)

I have also seen Evidence of another area that gets affected in the North West and to the lee of another Mountainous area in Washington State near Yakima County.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=tornado+alley+map&rlz=1R2GGLL_en-GB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tM9kTaWiON-qhAfN2b24Bw&ved=0CCoQsAQ

The Map with the Blue Shading is what I was describing above btw

Best

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I've drawn a map of the three main areas I would consider and the usual time periods for activity. Obviously it's not perfect and outbreaks can happen anywhere and anytime but as a rough guide it is pretty much ok. I don't really consider Carolina Alley a separate entity. The geography of the USA does allow for increased moisture return off the East coast to allow for better storms in the Carolinas than further west into the Appalachians but I think most consider Dixie alley to be anywhere south of the Virginia-North Carolina border and east of Texas.

I listed the northern alley as Derecho alley. I only made that up as their storm season tends to be later on and categorised by higher end wind events rather than tornado outbreaks although these are still quite common in the summer months. Never heard of the term Hoosier alley before. Hoosier specificly refers to Indiana inhabitants so it seems a bit misleading.

I know the outlines are not precise but it was a 2 minute job in MS paint so go easy ;) Florida probably should be in the Dixie alley although they get tornadoes all year round due to winter classic events, spring and summer waterspouts and Tropical storm related tornados later in the year.

post-1731-0-63527200-1298479612_thumb.jp

Edited by Gorky

Posted

The map is based on E/F3+ tornadoes with more then 20 mile paths. that doesn't include tornadoes out in open country. which i forgot to add.

which is pretty biased but everyone thinks of a tornado alley as being a place where the most violent tornadoes occur but as this map of 2009 shows the whole of the eastern side of the US is basically one big tornado alley.

every recorded tornado in 2009 is in this map from TornadoHistoryProject.com. its a good website it shows tornado scale aswell as the width and length of the damage path, and can be assembled into a tavle.

note: you can look at each individual day of the year all the way back to 1950!!!

TornadoReports2009.png

and i agree that there could be a mini tornado alley in washington state.

Edited by Mesoscale