Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Double Summertime...

NL

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Proposals are to be put forward this week to move clocks ahead 1 hour making a 'double summertime'. The PM has said that the plans would only go ahead if the country supports such a change.. Wouldn't be looking to good for folk in northern Scotland in deep winter with sunrise arriving at 10am..!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12523164

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Proposals are to be put forward this week to move clocks ahead 1 hour making a 'double summertime'. The PM has said that the plans would only go ahead if the country supports such a change.. Wouldn't be looking to good for folk in northern Scotland in deep winter with sunrise arriving at 10am..!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12523164

I've got a comprise just keep British summertime all year round and stop moving the clocks around.

Posted

I've got a comprise just keep British summertime all year round and stop moving the clocks around.

Ah if only they would stop keep changing the clocks!!!

I don't care whether they set it one hour ahead or one hour behind GMT or even 2 hours ahead or behind. Just so long as they don't keep upsetting my sleep pattern every 6 months. Wonder if that could be the true cause of ME (which I don't have) as all that stressing the body like that can't do it any good. I have suffered sleep adjustments every 6 months for 60 years now and am heartily sick of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

It would be weird in summer when its still light at 11pm...! but i wouldnt mind it tbh i like getting up on winter mornings in the dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'm absolutely and irrefutably against adding another hour in summer and keeping BST in winter. The prospect of it being light at 2330 in mid summer fills me with horror.

If I had my way it would be GMT throughout the year.

As for the argument that it will boost the tourism industry by billions of pounds a year, how? Why would sticking an extra hour of daylight at the evening end of the day, rather than the morning, either encourage more people to visit Britain, holiday in Britain or do much more during the summer than they do now. If tourist attractions are expected to benefit from staying open longer it will only be an hour at the very end of the day when most people are thinking of going to bed, not visiting a theme park or some place of historical interest.

Some people seem to think it's possible to conjure up extra daylight by fiddling about with the clocks; it isn't, there are a finite number of daylight hours and in my opinion the best of them are early in the morning. Get up earlier and enjoy.

Posted

Im not really sure what to think of this, if the clocks never went forward to summertime again i would be rather annoyed as i like to go walking in the summer evenings late, so personally i would just like the clocks to go forward in March and never go back again as i hate changing the clocks.

Edited by conor123

Posted

I really don't understand this, if we want to make more of daylight in the Summer, why don't we change from standard 9-5pm working hours to say 7-3pm in the Summer? I'd prefer though for to stay as it is.

Posted

According to my dad, they also did it in World War 2 - it was highly unpopular among people with small children as they couldn't get 'em to bed. If they're planning to turn to GMT +1 for winter, it would be awful - and probably outweigh any benefits for electricity savings gained during the afternoon.

I can't believe that French tourists are deterred from coming to Britain in December because we get dark a bit early, and moving businesses an hour farther away from US office hours would be a bad move.

Posted

Just have GMT+1 all year, no sudden descent into 5pm darkness every October please! I'm sure that sudden change makes the effects of winter darkness (SAD, more accidents etc) much worse. Not sure about GMT+2; would be nice if I can sit outside in daylight till 11pm when it's sunny but would be a nuisance going to bed before it's darkready to get up at 7am the next morning! Also, if we ever see 30C days here again, the hottest part of the day would be around 4-6pm which is too late- it would coincide with the evening rush-hour in the week and be when everyone's leaving the beach, park etc at weekends.

Posted

I agree, this would probably be the best solution.

I cant imagine it never getting light earlier than 5.30am all year round. Myself and my partner get up for work at 4.30am and 4.45am, so we'd ve getting up and going to work in darkness all year round. In winter it'd be dark for 5 hours after we got up and in summer it'd be light for 2 more hours after we went to bed!

I just dont get why they mess around with the clocks anyway. No matter what you do you cant change the fact we have very little daylight in winter and very little night in summer in this country. If they just kept the clocks at the same time it'd be much better. Not to mention if they kept BST it wouldnt suddenly get light at 8pm when its still too cold in late March and vice-versa in October.

Posted

It's a total nonsense. Only barmy politions could dream up and impliment a system that forces us peasants to endure a bianual jetlag without stepping off our green and pleasant.

Keep to UT all year (effectively GMT). If certain industries feel the need to be synchronus with Eoropean or American conterparts the CHANGE THE WORKING HOURS OF THEIR DAY and leave the rest of us alone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Doh, gives me more time to fly my real and rc helis and planes, Do stuff but. Even more time piloting is not as good as a good sleep. I'm scared. I can't sleep when its light outside :s 8)

acually in return can we have monday off to?

Posted

UT/GMT came about because it worked, and summertime for farming needs, which aren't really relevant to the majority of the population these days. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Posted

Bad idea it wouldn`t get dark until middnight after a hot and sticky day that would be too sultry and too light to get to sleep house takes longer to cool down,if you want an early night like 1020pm.

And mornings would be darker until 9.30am in january as it all shifts dark to the mornings.

Like november the darkness comes quicker in the evenings.

This jan some mornings it was pretty dark until nearly 9am on really dull days,so 10am.

Many more accidents in the dark mornings as folk are more sleepy.

I`m not a morning person anyway.

Further north it`ll get more extreme.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well I'm in two minds about this. From a personal point of view I'm all for it. I would love long light evenings during summer instead of wasting it while I'm asleep. Having less dark afternoons during winter meaning I'd only cycle home in rush hour traffic in darkness for around 2 or so months instead of 4 would also be brilliant.

But I can see the point of view someone who bounds out of bed at 4:30am and goes to bed mid evening (well my mid evening!) who would hate it in summer.

Ideally yes we should move our working patterns to match daylight better (I mean who can put their hand up and say midday is the *middle* of their day - waking up to going to bed?) but it's so historically ingrained I just can't see it happening (lunch at 11am, evening dinner at 4pm, Coronation Street at half 5, 'watershed' at 7pm, pub kick out time 9pm?!).

I don't see any reason it'd help tourism though - how?! That's a weak argument for doing it.

Sticking with BST year round makes the most sense for everyone - I get my lighter & safer journeys home in winter, TM gets to go to bed before 11pm in summer and there's none of that awful sudden change in October that makes you feel horrible and makes the traffic horrendous.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about?

The day is as long as the day is long. Regardless of what time the clock says, it is either dark or light.

This particular egg is used to try and crack Scottish politicians in particular, but honestly what is the fuss?

We should adapt to the daylight we have, winter should be total shutdown in Scotland and summer should be all go.

We can't change the amount of daylight we have, we should use it better. Am I missing something (again?).

I think this is more of an issue in England, up here we have too much darkness in winter and too much daylight in summer. No amount of shaking the clock will ever fix it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thinking more about this...

Surely one of the more important things is to save on electricity. Ignoring the 'extreme' ends of the year which we've all mentioned so far - currently lights must be switched on by 5 or 6pm well into late March, yet at the same time it's daylight at 6am. I would hedge a bet there are a lot more people awake at 6pm than 6am (sorry morning bods but it's true!) so it would make sense for daylight to be 7am to 7pm by early March.

Another argument for BST all year really - or if nothing else, moving the clocks in late Feb instead of late March.

I think this is more of an issue in England, up here we have too much darkness in winter and too much daylight in summer. No amount of shaking the clock will ever fix it.

Hence why Iceland remain on GMT all year round as there's no point changing it! But being so far west and still using GMT it was lighter in the evenings than here way back in Jan although remains dark until almost 0930.

Posted

Don't know about Nottingham, but here it's still dark at 6.00am in March - and just as it starts getting light by that time towards the end of the month we go on to bloody silly time and it's dark again .....

And seriously, how much electricity would you really save by not having a low energy lightbulb on for a few hours a year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'd opt for BST all year...I cannae stand it, when the clocks go back!

Posted

Don't know about Nottingham, but here it's still dark at 6.00am in March - and just as it starts getting light by that time towards the end of the month we go on to bloody silly time and it's dark again .....

And seriously, how much electricity would you really save by not having a low energy lightbulb on for a few hours a year?

Well not alot me personally but add up many millions of them then it's a heck of a lot. Also think of all those sports grounds hosting early evening matches that will no longer need flood lights on...

In March (taking 15th as example) sunrise is 0620 (so twilight at 6am) but sunset at 1808 so twilight 1830. I just think 0720/1908 would be better use of light with our current patterns at that time of year.

Posted

Actually, it occurs to me that for a lot of elderly people, a move like this could lead to higher energy bills.

By and large, the elderly tend to rise early and go to bed early. They won't benefit from warmer, lighter evenings - but they will be up more during the colder, darker mornings. And remember, the coldest period of the day is usually around sunrise, not sunset.

Personally I hate putting the clocks forward to bloody silly time - the only purpose of which seems to be to force me to get up earlier in the mornings! And I do think if we have to, then they should go back to real time at the end of September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Double Summer Time will allow thunderstorms to rumble on until later in the evening...

Posted

Actually, it occurs to me that for a lot of elderly people, a move like this could lead to higher energy bills.

By and large, the elderly tend to rise early and go to bed early. They won't benefit from warmer, lighter evenings - but they will be up more during the colder, darker mornings. And remember, the coldest period of the day is usually around sunrise, not sunset.

Personally I hate putting the clocks forward to bloody silly time - the only purpose of which seems to be to force me to get up earlier in the mornings! And I do think if we have to, then they should go back to real time at the end of September.

Thing is, the elderly aren't forced to get out of bed at 6am whereas the majority (and it is a majority!) of us are forced to work 9 to 5 (or thereabouts). We just had a chat about it here in the office. Yes 7-3 working hours do make more sense but it's unlikely we could tell our clients support stops at 3pm (but don't worry you can talk to us at 7am tomorrow!).

Everyone here likes the idea of double summertime. For the gardeners it means ample hours to do outdoor work after work in one block. Assuming we are locked to our working hours (and *we* are really) having all these hours in the morning is no use for an activity like gardening - getting all your equipment out, getting muddy only to have to stop put it all away and go to work half way through the job is no good.

This is why I can't subscribe to the "it's your fault, you should get up earlier" - that might be fine for a person of leisure, a farmer or some other occupation that doesn't involve communication with the working world but for most of us it isn't an option.