Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I still reiterate that while we can't win the peace (too much division), getting rid of tyrants is still the best choice. I mean as easy as it is for us armchair experts to sit here and say they'd be better off under Saddam, your metaphorically asking somebody to choose between slavery or being paid a dollar a day. Both options stink but one is marginally better. Now of course i'd say that the chaos is preferable to a police state but then i virulently believe in liberty and am appalled at the lack of people in this world willing to fight for it. 

You leave Saddam in charge to keep the terrorists out and all you do is allow real rebels to be slaughtered like cattle. At least with terrorists you know that if you drive them out you won't be under the iron grip of a dictator.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

I still reiterate that while we can't win the peace (too much division), getting rid of tyrants is still the best choice. I mean as easy as it is for us armchair experts to sit here and say they'd be better off under Saddam, your metaphorically asking somebody to choose between slavery or being paid a dollar a day. Both options stink but one is marginally better. Now of course i'd say that the chaos is preferable to a police state but then i virulently believe in liberty and am appalled at the lack of people in this world willing to fight for it. 

You leave Saddam in charge to keep the terrorists out and all you do is allow real rebels to be slaughtered like cattle. At least with terrorists you know that if you drive them out you won't be under the iron grip of a dictator.

It was inevitable that removing "tyrants" such as Saddam, Assad, Gaddafi would leave a power vacuum that would be filled by the extremists that the aforementioned tyrants had been keeping at bay for decades. And the tyranny under the leaders of ISIS and co should they take control will make Saddam's Iraq look like Finland!

The secular regimes of Saddam, Assad, Gaddafi also posed no threat to us and indeed protected us by keeping these Islamists in check. Now they are gone the places are any infidel-hating terrorist's paradise.

I wonder what for example the Arab Christians in these countries, previously left alone and now suffering a genocide, think of their new found "liberty" propagated by Western do-gooders. The path to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Edited by Bobby
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here we go again the oil companies starting to jump up and down shouting HORRAH as Iraq crisis deepens  remember when prices went up after the Iraq war and never came back down.Out comes the pedal bike  again only 10 miles to work.

Our beloved oil companies wouldn't be using the troubles in the ME to soften us all up for the next round of price-hikes would they, keith? It wouldn't surprise me, if they were!

Posted

Not to worry, Hague has announced that ISIS are now outlawed, they will be shaking in their boots.

Maybe Hague will up the ante by sending a sternly worded letter?

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not to worry, Hague has announced that ISIS are now outlawed, they will be shaking in their boots.

Maybe Hague will up the ante by sending a sternly worded letter?

By making them all roll on the floor laughing, at his silly vocal affectations?

Posted

It was inevitable that removing "tyrants" such as Saddam, Assad, Gaddafi would leave a power vacuum that would be filled by the extremists that the aforementioned tyrants had been keeping at bay for decades. And the tyranny under the leaders of ISIS and co should they take control will make Saddam's Iraq look like Finland!

'We' didn't actually remove Gaddafi. And regarding Saddam who were the aforementioned tyrants he was keeping at bay? they didn't exist then and they do now because of the rise of sectarianism within Islam. The mistake was probably leaving too early and leaving the Al-maliki shia dominated government in charge whose repressive measure against the sunnis was bound to lead to sectarian violence. Plus our failure to support the oppressed Syrians against Assad has allowed the extremists into Iraq through the back door. Blair is probably correct.

Edited by knocker
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

The secular regimes of Saddam, Assad, Gaddafi also posed no threat to us and indeed protected us by keeping these Islamists in check. Now they are gone the places are any infidel-hating terrorist's paradise.

I wonder what for example the Arab Christians in these countries, previously left alone and now suffering a genocide, think of their new found "liberty" propagated by Western do-gooders. The path to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Bobby,

I could not have expressed what you have written better and fully concur with the sentiments.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

Why are these power vacuums being filled by Islamic extremists. Where are the moderate muslims?, what are the Muslim Council of Britain and there counterparts around the world doing about these extremists?

Very little it would seem, no doubt due to the Koran's guidance towards an Islamic world? It is actually what they want after all.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The Moderate Muslims will be in the body bags with the rest of us peaceful folk.To be honest it's like Christians going against the pope in the middle ages. Not the done thing.

Why are these power vacuums being filled by Islamic extremists. Where are the moderate muslims?, what are the Muslim Council of Britain and there counterparts around the world doing about these extremists?

Very little it would seem, no doubt due to the Koran's guidance towards an Islamic world? It is actually what they want after all.

The problem is that most ordinary folk are mostly interested in bringing up and feeding their families and keeping a roof over their heads - this is the same the world over - they don't want to get involved in politics and religion to the same extent as those of more extreme views. Unfortunately, in this world, those who shout the loudest, regardless that often it is bull****, are often the most listened to.

In the Middle East many of the people are barely earning a subsistence living and have been poorly educated but like everybody else they would like a little bit more, or if the don't get it in this world, they are influenced by the promise that they will get it in the next, so they are easily led.

The mullahs tell the people what Allah wants and that it is their duty to spread Islam, which they maintain is the only true faith, over the world, seemingly by force if necessary and that the highest accolade people can get is to die as martyrs in battle and be rewarded by a guaranteed afterlife in paradise. In many cases the people have no yardstick by which they can establish the veracity of what they are continually being told.

Personally I have no idea as to whether a supreme being which people generally refer to as God, or Allah actually exists but if he did, I am certain that it would be the same God for everybody and I doubt that he will take much pleasure in the cruelty and the killings supposedly carried out in his name.

Religion is generally considered to be the opiate of the masses and although most religious teachings hold a kernel of truth in how we should live better lives for the benefit of all, so many of the teachings that are put out today, to greater and lesser extents, appeared to have been embroidered and distorted by evil leaders who wish to use it as a means of subjugating their people and others to do their bidding and as a result we end up with the world in the mess as it is today.

If there is such a thing as heaven and hell, those leaders, religious and secular, who promote the killing of others for their own selfish ends, should be the first ones to be consigned to hellfire and damnation.

Posted

Incredible, the UK and Iran are restoring diplomatic ties. Arguably more important than the actual Iraq issue.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Incredible, the UK and Iran are restoring diplomatic ties. Arguably more important than the actual Iraq issue.

I look forward to buying Iranian dates again 

Posted

I look forward to buying Iranian dates again 

I'd be looking forward to Iranian oil.  :yahoo:

Could all break down or move really slowly but we all want oil and if western companies can get their hands on it then the price should relax somewhat.

Posted

Ahh Iran are the new cuddly guys.

Posted

Dropping out of the news now. Isis sill making advances and have released an detailed report into their activities http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/69e70954-f639-11e3-a038-00144feabdc0.html#axzz34xn4WD00

Posted

The use of a weapon as a plant vessel is a powerful comment on a region in which many people on both sides are tired of the seemingly never-ending violence and conflict.

This is refreshing news story with all that's going on elsewhere,make use of everything whatever it is.

http://www.boredpanda.com/tear-gas-flower-pots-palestine/

• Like 1

I reckon we should have that Palistinian woman and the Israeli artist as leaders of their of their respective communities and invoke the policy of 'make love, not war' then they would no doubt put an end to all these problems. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The problem is that most ordinary folk are mostly interested in bringing up and feeding their families and keeping a roof over their heads - this is the same the world over - they don't want to get involved in politics and religion to the same extent as those of more extreme views. Unfortunately, in this world, those who shout the loudest, regardless that often it is bull****, are often the most listened to.

In the Middle East many of the people are barely earning a subsistence living and have been poorly educated but like everybody else they would like a little bit more, or if the don't get it in this world, they are influenced by the promise that they will get it in the next, so they are easily led.

The mullahs tell the people what Allah wants and that it is their duty to spread Islam, which they maintain is the only true faith, over the world, seemingly by force if necessary and that the highest accolade people can get is to die as martyrs in battle and be rewarded by a guaranteed afterlife in paradise. In many cases the people have no yardstick by which they can establish the veracity of what they are continually being told.

Personally I have no idea as to whether a supreme being which people generally refer to as God, or Allah actually exists but if he did, I am certain that it would be the same God for everybody and I doubt that he will take much pleasure in the cruelty and the killings supposedly carried out in his name.

Religion is generally considered to be the opiate of the masses and although most religious teachings hold a kernel of truth in how we should live better lives for the benefit of all, so many of the teachings that are put out today, to greater and lesser extents, appeared to have been embroidered and distorted by evil leaders who wish to use it as a means of subjugating their people and others to do their bidding and as a result we end up with the world in the mess as it is today.

If there is such a thing as heaven and hell, those leaders, religious and secular, who promote the killing of others for their own selfish ends, should be the first ones to be consigned to hellfire and damnation.

The fact is that man is on this planet to fight wars and who do we all hate the most ...yes our neighbours!!! Religion is just a bonus excuse[ such as northern Ireland, a closer to home example]A look at history...Yorkshire and Lancashire,man utd and man city [or all derbys to be exact],England and Scotland,or Ireland,[wales]..etc,,Britain and france,Germany and Poland,greeks and Persians  THE WEST  AND EAST,muslim and muslim...I could go on but the fact is the best man to sort out the middle east problem is SADDAM HUSSAIN!!!  What exactly did George bush and Tony Blair do for the middle east!!!!!!

The fact is that man is on this planet to fight wars and who do we all hate the most ...yes our neighbours!!! Religion is just a bonus excuse[ such as northern Ireland, a closer to home example]A look at history...Yorkshire and Lancashire,man utd and man city [or all derbys to be exact],England and Scotland,or Ireland,[wales]..etc,,Britain and france,Germany and Poland,greeks and Persians  THE WEST  AND EAST,muslim and muslim...I could go on but the fact is the best man to sort out the middle east problem is SADDAM HUSSAIN!!!  What exactly did George bush and Tony Blair do for the middle east!!!!!!

Yes, we still do get 'tribal' rivalries in the form of football teams and their supporters but the various antagonisms of the past do appear to be in the past - in the main in England we appear to have got over the differences between Catholics and Protestants, which were the cause of many a bloody battle in the past but nowadays this does not register very high at all - we are now, for the most part friends with our friends in the EU and others further afield - the world is becoming more global and for a great many people the national backgrounds of their friends and colleagues is diminishing into the background.

The wars of yesteryear occurred between different peoples being subjected to some brainwashing by their own particular community and the hunger for power of individuals who wished to use their subjects as cannon fodder whilst, killing/subduing the opposition. Whilst man does have an innate capacity to fight other men it can and is being controlled in the main by our more comfortable western culture.

Posted

What exactly did George bush and Tony Blair do for the middle east!!!!!!

Made it completly unstable cost even more lives and sacrificed there own for what?

Posted

Bit slow of the mark should have been banned ages ago http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27925875

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

deleted

Edited by stewfox
    Posted

Next question should anyone going to fight as a Jihadist be allowed back in the country?

I saw an article from the former head of MI5 that said Muslims should feel British so they won't become Jidhadists. A clear misunderstanding they can feel perfectly British but if they feel if there religion is being attacked or/and the country has lost it's way they still become extremists in a desire to change the country into an Islamic state.

While they are exposed to hate preachers and extremist websites even well educated can become extremists.

Mind you we don't help ourselves why did the Media hype over the UKIP got the pc crowd in such a frenzy the mere word had the keyboard in meltdown yet the same people are happy for Schools to be influenced by people with an extremist agenda and let it pass without comment.

Extremists although they hate the liberal views of this country use it quite well. They find our lack of Christian faith a sign of weakness yet anybody who stands up for what they believe in are verified by the pC crowd. Womens rights Extremists are against this but the pc crowd say nothing. Homophobic well extremist Islam is that yet the pc crowd stay quiet on that. Slow introduction of Sharia law where do you draw the line on that.  

Ironically if we stood up for those values the extremists would have a little more respect it won't change their views but it may sway a few marginal Muslims not to swing. Branding extremists parties and preachers the same manner as we brand the UKIP party may also help. While simply saying Muslims should be more British won't help at all.The term serves to isolate food for the extremist preacher.

Posted

Yes they should, if only to be prosecuted for their actions.