Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

Sadly, yes it does seem to have been forgotten.

As you point out I'm sure that there is a link between the two both in terms of Obama's green light and from Russia strengthening its strategic position in the eastern Med/Middle east.

Just last May Putin established a permanent Mediterranean task force ...not much good without the Syrian and Crimean bases to support those ships.Then there's the strengthening Russian Iranian relationship which will build their influence over the Persian Gulf.  I'm sure that Turkey must also be feeling increasingly vulnerable. Meanwhile the Russian ambassador to Lebanon recently boasted that Russia had succeeded in blocking U.N. action against Syria at the Security Council, and “The Syrian army is making major progress on the ground,†the tide of the war cannot be reversed anymoreâ€â€¦â€¦.talk about blood on their hands!!! ….. “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothingâ€

I agree with you excellent post. The irony is that one the of few voices in the wilderness advocating intervention was Blair.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

UK government tries to stop soldier revealing the jaw-dropping truth of the Afghanistan war.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/videos/uk-government-tries-to-stop-soldier-revealing-the-jaw-dropping-truth-of-the-afghanistan-war#.U1ktFSI1h1v

Edited by Snowyowl9
    Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

For saying there were thousands of Soldiers in Afgan, Im pretty sure there's nothing "jaw dropping" that we don't already know, As the link states there are security breaches as with any company.

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted

A brief extract from an article by Andrew Lloyd and Jack Hill who, as everyone knows, were very lucky to escape with their lives recently.

All this, aided and abetted by the wonderful Mr Putin, whilst the west have stood by twittering platitudes.

A defenceless city can only weep as barrel bombs rain in

You do not have to be anyone special to die in Aleppo. School child, stallholder, pensioner, doctor, nurse or rebel: the regime’s barrel bombs make no discrimination when blasting Syrians into smears of gristle and bone shards.

Hundreds of these bombs have killed thousands of people in Aleppo in the space of a few months. More than 70 per cent of the population have fled the city, and amid the widespread destruction some districts are beginning to carry echoes of Stalingrad.

Every detail of the barrel-bomb attacks — the weapon’s improvised design; the way regime helicopter crews light the fuses with cigarettes before rolling them off the loading ramp; the spinning tumble through the air; then the mighty explosion as it detonates, pancaking houses into flatpacked mounds of rubble — suggests an utterly gratuitous form of killing that awards death with the carefree abandon of an evening’s tenpin bowling.

I witnessed the immediate ground zero aftermath of a barrel bombing in the Sheikh Khouder district of the city on Monday. Two bombs had exploded a block apart, demolishing four residential houses. Amid the sound of weeping and rage, a group of local civilians and local civil defence force (CDF) volunteers, grotesquely coated in the fine white dust thrown up by the detonation, tore at the rubble with their hands. There were no survivors.

Edited by knocker
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Also being used in Iraq apparently. We do support Iraq don't we if I remember correctly.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Sickening. And to think that some naive people thought that Assad would agree to peace

Posted

Sickening. And to think that some naive people thought that Assad would agree to peace

Or that the other side would. Why should he agree he's slowly winning the war. Sadly backing the other side would just result in another unstable corrupt regime where people disappear.

Posted

From the same source a well balanced and perceptive view of the United States.

The White House's Nazis

From Hitler's Germany in the 1930's to Kiev Today, the United States' Disturbing Partnerships with Nazis.  

May 7, 2014 (Tony Cartalucci - NEO) - Among Washington's most unsavory allies could be counted the unelected hereditary regime of Saudi Arabia, the homophobic, violent mobs of Thaksin Shinawatra in Thailand, and of course Al Qaeda who has been serving America's geopolitical agenda since the 1980's when it first gathered the sectarian extremists together as a mercenary army to fight the Soviet Union in Afghanistan. Today the global terror enterprise is fighting on NATO's behalf in Libya, Syria, Egypt, and southern Russia.

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-white-houses-nazis.html

Edited by knocker
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted

Water and Conflict in Syria

Starting in 2006 and lasting through 2011, Syria suffered the worst long-term drought and the most severe set of crop failures in recorded history. In a new research paper, I've looked at the role of regional drought, unsustainable water management policies, and climatic conditions in contributing to the severe conflict in Syria in the past few years (see the peer-reviewed paper "Water, Drought, Climate Change, and Conflict in Syria" by Dr. Peter H. Gleick, coming out in the July issue -- and here online -- in the American Meteorological Society journal Weather, Climate, and Society. A press release on this paper is now available, here). Many factors influenced the civil war in Syria, including long-standing political, religious, and ideological disputes; economic dislocations from both global and regional factors; and the consequences of water shortages influenced by drought, ineffective watershed management, and the growing influence of climate variability and change.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-h-gleick/water-and-conflict-in-syr_b_5404774.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Posted

Have to agree, the Daily Fail is disturbing.  Frankly I wouldn't believe them if they told me tomorrow was tomorrow.

Posted

I find it more disturbing that people are in denial that some people in this country are actually taking part in such extremist groups. It's sad these youngsters don't realise they are being used and are just seen as pawns.

Posted

Have to agree, the Daily Fail is disturbing.  Frankly I wouldn't believe them if they told me tomorrow was tomorrow.

Its pretty much on other main sources.http://www.site.co.uk/British-jihadists-in-Syria-responsible-for-beheadings-and-crucifixions
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted

The west's non-intervention policy in Syria is looking distinctly flawed. I heard Robert ford on the radio the other day and to me he made a lot of sense,

The Former U.S. Ambassador to Syria, who left his post just a month ago, told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday that he could no longer stand behind his government.

“I was no longer in a position where I felt I could defend the American policy,†he said. “We have been unable to address either the root causes of the conflict in terms of the fighting on the ground and the balance on the ground, and we have a growing extremism threat.â€

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/03/former-u-s-ambassador-to-syria-i-could-no-longer-defend-the-american-policy-robert-ford/

Isis special report: Jihadist group more extreme than al-Qa’ida in battle to establish Islamic state across Iraq and Syria

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-special-report-jihadist-group-more-extreme-than-alqaida-in-battle-to-establish-islamic-state-across-iraq-and-syria-9510044.html

Edited by knocker
    Posted

Unfortunately it's no win situation for the west. Interfere and you set up an extremist regime. You don't interfere and the evil west is to blame. As you can see interfering in Iraq has left the door open for an extremist Islamic state. Libya isn't probably far off either.

Posted

Unfortunately it's no win situation for the west. Interfere and you set up an extremist regime. You don't interfere and the evil west is to blame. As you can see interfering in Iraq has left the door open for an extremist Islamic state. Libya isn't probably far off either.

That isn't the position adopted by Ford. His point is that more logistical support for the genuine opposition wouldn't have allowed the Ismalist extremists to gain such a foothold. Because they are better supplied and organised they have found recruitment far easier. I suspect he is correct and you now have a three way conflict with, I suspect, the extremists ending up in a very strong position. Quite dangerous for the west and peace in the ME.

Note. He isn't advocating troops on the ground.

Edited by knocker
    Posted

They would have still got involved as then the West would be interfering in a Muslim country and the extremists would still arrive. Western backed Muslim groups would still considered the enemy.

The best approach for me would be for the world to stop providing arms to either side.

Posted

That's largely because nobody is willing to deal with the real problem which is the Shia Iranian state who almost openly sponsor terrorism in the region. Because they do so, Sunni Saudi Arabia sponsors the Sunni's and hence you end up with a mess.

Posted

The real problem is therefore the religion and the splits it allows to develop and the conflicting nature that they're both right and the others are not proper Muslims.

Posted

The real problem is therefore the religion and the splits it allows to develop and the conflicting nature that they're both right and the others are not proper Muslims.

Yes, the Sunni-Shia civil war.

Posted

The failure of the West in Iraq looks to be gathering pace. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-2778922

The Extremists are advancing gradually and there are questions whether the Government could stop them. Blairs and Bushes blunders are coming home to roost and more proof that simply flying around trying to enforce Western Democracy doesn't work unless you're have the proper political will and are prepared to lose a lot of lives doing it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The failure of the West in Iraq looks to be gathering pace. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-2778922

The Extremists are advancing gradually and there are questions whether the Government could stop them. Blairs and Bushes blunders are coming home to roost and more proof that simply flying around trying to enforce Western Democracy doesn't work unless you're have the proper political will and are prepared to lose a lot of lives doing it.

You're right, you can't impose democracy, it's the ultimate oxymoron. It's not a good sign that ISIS are widely described as extremist al-Q!

Posted

I wouldn't have said gradually. This is what I was posting about yesterday and now it's too late and Syria will be the next stronghold, if not the whole country, I suspect iran and Russia will make sure that doesn't happen, but a large chunk. The future in the ME looks bleak and certainly will put the kibosh on any possibility of any Palestinian/Israeli deal. I think impose democracy is a rather bad description. They got rid of a mass murderer so that the Iraquis could establish their own form of government. Of course that was a pipe dream given the the internecine strife within Islam.

Edited by knocker