Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Yup, that was someones perspective yesterday, although it didn't stop the wife of one coming on and denouncing the UK govt over its lack of action. These people knew the risks, and accepted them in return for a very good salary. Now apparently the taxpayers have to foot the bill to get them out. Perhaps we can claim it back in free petrol for a year or so? :)

The Taxpayers foot the bill for every one of our foreign embassies and high commissions, because on balance, total isolation is generally viewed as more damaging to our national interests than mixing with the rest of the world. So we all pay for the thousands of replaced passports, legal fees, medical and repatriation cases of British Citizens abroad every year, for the BBC World Service, and on the rare occasions we need it, we pay for getting our nationals out of warzones. Can't see much wrong with that.

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

Psycopaths also lack any form of empathy. As it is, two perfect people are already too many. Better hope your children also turn out perfect, eh?

ffO.

I was merely exercising my democratic right in a free country to express an opinion - sorry if that gets your back up - there are plenty of places in the world where different opinions are not welcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Okay lets leave them there then. No doubt these people have families and children but what the heck it doesn't matter they deserve to die for taking a risk. Can't believe some people at times hope you're proud of yourselves.

Totally agree with that, some people shallowness goes beyond me and to say (as i have read in this thread) that it will be taxpayers money gettin them out as a bad thing to me thats money well spent, after all we spent millions on foreign aid and most of the world still dislikes us. Lets hope they all get back safe.
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I was merely exercising my democratic right in a free country to express an opinion - sorry if that gets your back up - there are plenty of places in the world where different opinions are not welcome.

I've got you a one way ticket you can guess the place but you only have one guess.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

We acknowledge that - we were merely exercising our democratic right to reply and see, what we understand as, faults in your opinion. Not all us liberals are communists.

So, it is dangerous there, it's dangerous in alot of places, surely this presses forward the argument that they should be brought home?

Posted

What this will do, one would think, is make some of the big energy companies think more seriously about what contingency planning they do to evacuate staff in the event of civil unrest. There'll be some detailed plans for evacuating oil and gas rigs in the event of fire or hurricanes, but it seems that a lot of the issues have been around isolated oil facilities. It's not as if most of these are in stable, democratic countries, is it?

Posted

I probably get shot down for this but my take is that we should bring UK Nationals home, but the companies that employ them should foot the bill and those choosing to take up residence in these somewhat unstable nations should be personally liable for the costs.

It is a very lucrative business working in some of these countries with most Nationals not paying UK tax either. One of the reasons the pay is high is because of the risks involved and while I do not believe we should leave people to be killed they should pay the full cost of their rescue.

Posted

I probably get shot down for this but my take is that we should bring UK Nationals home, but the companies that employ them should foot the bill and those choosing to take up residence in these somewhat unstable nations should be personally liable for the costs.

It is a very lucrative business working in some of these countries with most Nationals not paying UK tax either. One of the reasons the pay is high is because of the risks involved and while I do not believe we should leave people to be killed they should pay the full cost of their rescue.

The companies involved would have checked with the foreign office and if they said it's safe the workers would stay. Circle complete back to the Government which flapped more than our keeper at Shef UTD. If the foreign advice was get out and the companies ignored it fair enough they should pay.

Posted

While everyone in the West is focusing on events unfolding in North Africa the Middle East continues its slip towards the abyss!

Reports of increasing unrest in Saudi Arabia.

A “day of rage†demonstration is planned in Riyadh on March 11th.

Already there have been protests in Qatif and reports of prominent Shia clerics being detained by the Saudi Sunni authorities.

In Bahrain its now the Shia clerics who are now organising the demonstrations rather than the political opposition. It's estimated that 200,000 took to the streets yesterday.

Protests and deaths continue in Yemen, while Iraq (that great beacon of democracy that we have helped to establish) has also been hit by demonstrations, deaths and government buildings being burnt down.

Meanwhile Djibouti simmers with the French and Ethiopians both contemplating intervention, while protests continue in Jordan.

Posted

Call it sixth sense, I had a premonition you would play that card.

My back is not up and clearly you are not sorry so why say it? Patronising aside, I do know it is a democratic right (albeit without constitutional protection) but with enforced limits on freedom of speech.

Perhaps we should offer assylum to all those Libyans who would embrace democracy rather than re-patriate British Citizens who after all, expressed their own democratic right to work where they wished under the assistance and (tacit) protection of HMG as stated in every British Passport.

ffO.

Edited by full_frontal_occlusion
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a surprise it was to see Cameron out there, selling arms to the highest bidder! :aggressive:

Posted

The companies involved would have checked with the foreign office and if they said it's safe the workers would stay. Circle complete back to the Government which flapped more than our keeper at Shef UTD. If the foreign advice was get out and the companies ignored it fair enough they should pay.

Ah, the good old F.O. - if there was an 'organisation' where the word "Incompetent" was made for that's the place!

The F.O. - as believable as a premium rate horse tipping line on a Saturday morning!

Good post by HP in the early hours!:hi:

Posted

Water usage in north Africa and the Middle East is unsustainable and shortages are likely to lead to further instability – unless governments take action to solve the impending crisis

http://www.guardian....ter-running-out

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

Water usage in north Africa and the Middle East is unsustainable and shortages are likely to lead to further instability – unless governments take action to solve the impending crisis

The problem is that they need to reduce the population. Nature will do this of course over time unless they get grips with the population growth.

Posted
    name='PersianPaladin' timestamp='1298810188' post='2051900']

There is nothing at all new about this amd it does not only apply to north Africa and the Middle East. For the most informed information abou the world freshwater situation I recommend the biennial report on freshwater resorces by Peter H. Gleick from the Pacific Institute.

The latest can be found here. http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

The last one I have is the 1998-1999 version and it it covers the Middle East in some detail. I think water and food shortages are cause of the greatest concern with GW from both an instability and humanitian aspect and this is certainly not confined to North Africa and the Middle East.

Edited by weather ship
    Posted

A statement in the link you posted rather puzzles me.

Other Arab countries are not faring much better. Jordan, which expects water demand to double in the next 20 years, faces massive shortages because of population growth and a longstanding water dispute with Israel.

As far as I'm aware in 1994 , Israel and Jordan signed a peace treaty that. among other things, explicitly resolves a variety of contentious water issues over the Jordan River basin. Article 6 in the link.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Peace%20Process/Guide%20to%20the%20Peace%20Process/Israel-Jordan%20Peace%20Treaty

Posted

While everyone in the West is focusing on events unfolding in North Africa the Middle East continues its slip towards the abyss!

Reports of increasing unrest in Saudi Arabia.

A “day of rage†demonstration is planned in Riyadh on March 11th.

Already there have been protests in Qatif and reports of prominent Shia clerics being detained by the Saudi Sunni authorities.

In Bahrain its now the Shia clerics who are now organising the demonstrations rather than the political opposition. It's estimated that 200,000 took to the streets yesterday.

Protests and deaths continue in Yemen, while Iraq (that great beacon of democracy that we have helped to establish) has also been hit by demonstrations, deaths and government buildings being burnt down.

Meanwhile Djibouti simmers with the French and Ethiopians both contemplating intervention, while protests continue in Jordan.

Djibouti is a concern - the French WILL intervene if they think Ethiopia will do it first - it's France's equivalent of Akrotiri - their base of operations in the Middle East. The Foreign Legion and French Marines do their desert training in Djibouti. No way they let Ethiopia interfere in Djibouti.

There were significant demonstrations in Oman on Sunday as well.

Posted

Djibouti is a concern - the French WILL intervene if they think Ethiopia will do it first - it's France's equivalent of Akrotiri - their base of operations in the Middle East. The Foreign Legion and French Marines do their desert training in Djibouti.

I wonder how long it will take for the French too surrender????

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

I wonder how long it will take for the French too surrender????

About 5 seconds longer than the Italians do!
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

About 5 seconds longer than the Italians do!

Nothing like school boy stereotyping (you and The PIT both).

The situation in the middle east/North Africa will end up in hard core Islamic states popping up in several countries which were previously "friendly". Wait and see.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    Posted

Nothing like school boy stereotyping (you and The PIT both).

The situation in the middle east/North Africa will end up in hard core Islamic states popping up in several countries which were previously "friendly". Wait and see.

Agreed CMD - and it's not often we agree on something!:rolleyes:

It's an awful irony of the whole situ that these hardline regimes effectively kept the lid on any fundamentalist extremism. Now it's anyone's guess what N Africa will end up like.

As for Cameron's threat of military intervention - do me a favour posh boy!

Now let's all count the number of regimes that we fundamentally 'disagree' with in the world and consider military action - conscription anyone?:rolleyes:

Posted

Agreed CMD - and it's not often we agree on something!:rolleyes:

It's an awful irony of the whole situ that these hardline regimes effectively kept the lid on any fundamentalist extremism. Now it's anyone's guess what N Africa will end up like.

As for Cameron's threat of military intervention - do me a favour posh boy!

Now let's all count the number of regimes that we fundamentally 'disagree' with in the world and consider military action - conscription anyone?:rolleyes:

I hope he does use Military Action. We can't stand by and watch another Uganda type event unfold and we stand by and do nothing. Thats just sick. We need to go in their, remove this tyrant from power and see what happens, give the people their freedom back.

Posted

I hope he does use Military Action. We can't stand by and watch another Uganda type event unfold and we stand by and do nothing. Thats just sick. We need to go in their, remove this tyrant from power and see what happens, give the people their freedom back.

If that's the case why didn't we intervene 10, 20, 30 years ago then?

Posted

If that's the case why didn't we intervene 10, 20, 30 years ago then?

I didn't see what I see happening now back then.

Besides, I don't work for the Government so couldn't possibly answer your question.

Oh and just to edit, we didnt need the oil back then. :pardon:

Edited by Glenn W
    Posted

Britain is good at standing by and watching sick events unfold...just like most other nations.

If things get too hairy for Gaddafi he could always take refuge with his mate Mugabe. He'll be fine there...after all nobody has bothered mad, bad Bob in all these years. A bit of a shame they never discovered oil in Zimbabwe!