Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Where is Private Fraser..Don't panic, Don't panic.

Hague was on ITV news earlier, he was absolutely slaughtered. If we needed any further proof that Britain is finished as a world power, this is it.

Why haven't we sent military transports? Do we have any left to send?

Don't worry super Dave to the rescue...

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

Don't worry super Dave to the rescue...

Now I am worried!!!

post-1808-0-57740800-1298493272_thumb.jp

Posted

Now I am worried!!!

post-1808-0-57740800-1298493272_thumb.jp

Thank goodness for that, I will sleep well tonight.

I thought he was away selling army surplus to various cradles of democracy?

Posted

Ahh we got privatised rescue. Oil companies charter there own flights to get people out. Apparently the shambles of our Government have finally started moving.

Posted

I see that the Saudi King has announced $37 billion in new public spending and givien all government employees a 15% pay raise!! On top of that needy students attending university were told they would get more money and Saturday has also been declared a national holiday!

Sounds great!, his generosity knows no bounds!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

how long is this unrest in Libya likely to go on for?

How long is a piece of string. Hopefully not much longer, one way or the other.

Sky News are reporting that the SBS are on standby to go in and get Brits out. Seems the machine of Government might finally be kicking in.

2 planes left, one ready to, two more in place, plus HMS Cumberland getting ready to dock.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Quadaffi should be declared an enemy of democracy. With parts of Libya already out of his control, the UN should step in and have him arrested for war crimes. The Lockerbie bomber should also have his throat slit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

How long is a piece of string. Hopefully not much longer, one way or the other.

Sky News are reporting that the SBS are on standby to go in and get Brits out. Seems the machine of Government might finally be kicking in.

2 planes left, one ready to, two more in place, plus HMS Cumberland getting ready to dock.

He'll last as long as he can, which depends on how much of the military he can keep on-side, the widespread reported use of 'Mercenaries' (probably regular soldiers from Quaddafi friendly countries like Niger and Chad) suggests that he doesn't have much faith in the loyalty of his own forces, but then few dictators do.

I saw the report on Sky News about Royal Marines on standby, no doubt this is the case, I guess to operate in the same way as Israeli forces did in Entebbe in the 70's - A tough ask given most of the isolated pockets of British nationals are likely to be pretty deep in Libyan territory. With 16 Air Assault Brigade in Afghanistan, it would be a real squeeze to provide the SBS with helicopters and air support at short notice.

Edited by Just Before Dawn
    Posted

If we had any sense (balls) we'd of gone in a week ago and taken control of the oil fields until it was all sorted.

Least then we might not be staring down the barrel of $220. It would of shown the markets, investors and other middle eastern countries that we were serious over the supply of oil... that I assume comes under the heading 'in the national interest'. It could be argued that libya is a sovereign state, but with half the country in the hands of protestors and the other being bombed by a madman I don't think Liberty would of moaned too much.

Or is that too right wing? ;)

Posted

If we had any sense (balls) we'd of gone in a week ago and taken control of the oil fields until it was all sorted.

Least then we might not be staring down the barrel of $220. It would of shown the markets, investors and other middle eastern countries that we were serious over the supply of oil... that I assume comes under the heading 'in the national interest'. It could be argued that libya is a sovereign state, but with half the country in the hands of protestors and the other being bombed by a madman I don't think Liberty would of moaned too much.

Or is that too right wing? ;)

Binnies boys would have loved that. Anti Muslim West strikes again. One thing we don't need to do is feed the extremist propaganda train. They're very good at it as it is without freebies being given.

Posted

I thought i heard on the news this eve that Libya only accounts for 2% of the world's current oil supply/usage - if that's true they're not that important in the great scheme of things from an oil supply point of view. Maybe the increase in the price of oil over the last week or so is due to the 'young turks' panicking like they often do on the world's stockmarket indices.

It seems funny (or ironic) that the world suddenly comes over all moralistic, when regimes start to collapse - normally the big countries on the world stage are more than happy to see despot regimes keep a lid on things, esp in the middle east and africa. Then when things go belly up suddenly democracy is a great thing for the people of those countries.

Politics - it's a funny old game!

Posted

The status quo is often the prefered outcome, espcially when keeping radicals out of power (oh the irony I know) Interesting article in the telegraph about the fall of the US Middle Eastern 'empire'.

I think the price rise is on the fear of other countries falling, notably Saudi. But yeah, there is profit to be made as well.

Posted

The status quo is often the prefered outcome, espcially when keeping radicals out of power (oh the irony I know) Interesting article in the telegraph about the fall of the US Middle Eastern 'empire'.

I think the price rise is on the fear of other countries falling, notably Saudi. But yeah, there is profit to be made as well.

The status quo - absolutely Matt - look at the collapse of the Soviet Union and the instability that brought - some would argue the fall of the Berlin Wall, as well, has created its own problems.

From a world perspective, incl oil prices - these issues always subside when things settle - the world just gets on with it.

As for the trapped oil workers in Libya - never was exactly a 'safe' place to earn a living - just good money for Brits and others - bit of a risk/reward situ really - in these places there's always the chance things will implode - bag the top money, cry for help when you're in trouble.:whistling:

Posted

The status quo - absolutely Matt - look at the collapse of the Soviet Union and the instability that brought - some would argue the fall of the Berlin Wall, as well, has created its own problems.

From a world perspective, incl oil prices - these issues always subside when things settle - the world just gets on with it.

As for the trapped oil workers in Libya - never was exactly a 'safe' place to earn a living - just good money for Brits and others - bit of a risk/reward situ really - in these places there's always the chance things will implode - bag the top money, cry for help when you're in trouble.:whistling:

Yup, that was someones perspective yesterday, although it didn't stop the wife of one coming on and denouncing the UK govt over its lack of action. These people knew the risks, and accepted them in return for a very good salary. Now apparently the taxpayers have to foot the bill to get them out. Perhaps we can claim it back in free petrol for a year or so? :)

Posted

Okay lets leave them there then. No doubt these people have families and children but what the heck it doesn't matter they deserve to die for taking a risk. Can't believe some people at times hope you're proud of yourselves.

• Like 1
    Posted

Faint rumblings of possible military action. UN human rights are meeting this afternoon and may expel Libya however one or two countries are saying it's a western plot to get the oil. Is China on the human rights council?? Yes it is what a farce.

Nato is also having a meeting and may declare a no fly zone.

Posted

Yup, that was someones perspective yesterday, although it didn't stop the wife of one coming on and denouncing the UK govt over its lack of action. These people knew the risks, and accepted them in return for a very good salary. Now apparently the taxpayers have to foot the bill to get them out. Perhaps we can claim it back in free petrol for a year or so? :)

Psycopaths also lack any form of empathy. As it is, two perfect people are already too many. Better hope your children also turn out perfect, eh?

ffO.

• Like 1
    Posted

Psycopaths also lack any form of empathy. As it is, two perfect people are already too many. Better hope your children also turn out perfect, eh?

ffO.

Are you implying something? Defamation alive and kicking I see.

Perhaps you would like to read again what I wrote.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt
    Posted

Are you implying something? Defamation alive and kicking I see.

Perhaps you would like to read again what I wrote.

I wouldn't direct people back to that post to be honest not one your finest.

Edited by The PIT
    • Like 1
    Posted

I wouldn't direct people back to that post to be honest not one your finest.

I was merely reporting what someone on Sky News had said earlier, which I think was quantified by "that was someones perspective" - although I did add the bit about free petrol.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt