Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said that no country in the world would accept a situation in which rockets are fired at its citizens, saying that Israel will not accept such a situation, speaking Wednesday night in a press conference on the commencement of Operation Pillar of Defense.

"Hamas and the other terror organizations chose to escalate its attacks in recent days," Netanyahu said. "Israel has sent Hamas a clear message that it is prepared to defend its citizens."

"Hamas is purposely shooting at civilians, and hides behind its own civilians. We avoid striking civilians," he added, stating that Israel is sending an "unequivocal message" that Israeli citizens will not be hostage to terrorist missile fire and cross-border attacks.

"Our enemies seek to wipe us off the face of the earth," the prime minister added.

In the same press conference, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said the IDF will do whatever is necessary to restore quiet to the South.

Though Wednesday's strikes mark the beginning, not the end, of a military operations, Barak said that "in the long-run, I believe this will lead to deterrence and the restoration of quiet in the South."

Barak said that the IDF operations wiped out most of the long-range fajr rockets, and dealt significant blows to the terrorist infrastructure in the Gaza Strip.

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=291828

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unfortunately the constant rocket launching is never mentioned if France was doing it to us we'd would also invade and retaliate. Israel must be getting worried as extremism continues to rise around it's borders.

The Arab spring may rapidly be heading towards the Arab Winter missing summer altogether.

• Like 1
    Posted

Three Israelis have been killed after a rocket fired from Gaza hit a building in the south of the country, according to police.

http://news.sky.com/...-three-israelis

Egypt could easily be dragged in this time.. As Muslim brotherhood is close to Hamas .

Only going to escalate... Hopefully Israel get the job done properly this time... Our we will be back to this in a few years... Deja-vu anyone?

Edited by lfcdude

The problem here is that violence begats violence - the state of Israel was born in violence and it has continued ever since right up to this day and this will continue to happen for as long as religion and politics are entwined.

It wasn't helped by God telling the Israelites that they are the 'chosen race' - a lot of them still believe this and this upsets a lot of others.

The only real and sensible way forward would be to relegate religion into the domain of peoples' private affairs and for the states in the area to become secular.

Posted

Hopefully Israel get the job done properly this time...

Given that fighting / wars over who has the (God given) 'right' to live in / govern the holy land has been going on for a couple of millennia, I just can't see this happening any time soon.

• Like 1
    Posted

Given that fighting / wars over who has the (God given) 'right' to live in / govern the holy land has been going on for a couple of millennia, I just can't see this happening any time soon.

This is very true although the demographics have changed somewhat in recent years. The driving forces behind the destruction of Israel, Syria, Iran and the Soviet Union have their own internal problems and of course the latter no longer exists although Russia still has influence in the ME. The collapse of Egyptian-Israel treaty is worrying but again Egypt has it's own problems. Most Arab states aren't that concerned for the Palistinians and have over the years treated them rather worse than the Palistinians who live in Israel.

Edited by knocker
    Posted

Three Israelis killed in Kiryat Malachi; rocket falls in Eshkol wounding 3 IDF soldiers as rockets continue to fall on South; IAF strikes nearly 200 targets in Strip; 15 Palestinians killed in strikes.

Two booms were heard following an air raid siren in Tel Aviv Thursday evening, just an hour after a rocket from the Gaza Strip exploded in an open field outside of Rishon Lezion. There were no reports of injuries in either strike.

The attacks mark the first time the center of the country was hit renewed violence from the Gaza Strip. The incident was also the first time that a real siren was sounded in Tel Aviv since the Gulf War in the early 1990s. Palestinian Islamic Jihad took responsibility for the rocket on Tel Aviv.

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=291954

post-12275-0-98012500-1353002255_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I dont think Israel will ever attack Iran at this rate. Gaza and Hezbollah may have help israel's enemy.

I heard Sky news that the Israeli Army are approaching the Gazan border. Maybe the ground assault already begun? or maybe not?

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland
    Posted

I dont think Israel will ever attack Iran at this rate. Gaza and Hezbollah may have help israel's enemy.

I heard Sky news that the Israeli Army are approaching the Gazan border. Maybe the ground assault already begun? or maybe not?

There will.. For me its all in our nothing.. Wipe Hamas out... Then ground work for Iran.. Early next year is in place.. At this stage.. there have tried... killing Hamas how many times? I am just waiting for Hezbollah to get involved... Proxy war is a caravan.. if there do... Israel has no choice pretty much

Posted

Was having a good talk with my Iranian boss today whilst travelling to Norway on business (oil and gas).

The oil embargo is having the intended effect (income from exports is down to 1/10th). Word is that the Iranian government is increasingly under huge pressure internally and the first signs are appearing that they may look to compromise with facing saving measures. Fingers crossed.

His opinion is that the west using nuclear development as stick to beat iran with is very flawed. This allows the Iranian gov to tell it's people that the west wants to hold it back/stop progress. If instead, the west berated iran/imposed sanctions for 'lack of democracy and human rights abuses' it would put the Iranian government in a far more difficult position with respect to trying to spin this in an anti-west way. I totally agree.

He also said that - and I totally agree - Iran is a natural ally of the west. It's people, with their very moderate shia Islam religion are in fact the most 'westernised' and moderate in the whole Islamic world (all the ones I know eat halal Scottish pork and halal whisky for example!). The problem is the current government which does not give this impression, but rather tries to use religion as a means of democratic repression.

Posted

His opinion is that the west using nuclear development as stick to beat iran with is very flawed. This allows the Iranian gov to tell it's people that the west wants to hold it back/stop progress. If instead, the west berated iran/imposed sanctions for 'lack of democracy and human rights abuses' it would put the Iranian government in a far more difficult position with respect to trying to spin this in an anti-west way. I totally agree.

I can go along with most of that SS although following the above route it would probably mean they would have to apply it to Saudi Arabia as well. I can't see that happening.

Posted

I can go along with most of that SS although following the above route it would probably mean they would have to apply it to Saudi Arabia as well. I can't see that happening.

Well I was in saudi on Tuesday and the US influence is there for all to see (loads of americans working for Aramco, american cars everywhere etc). However, the saudis are under increasing pressure internally to reduce the apparent influence the US has.

Personally, I much prefer iranian culture.

Would say more but need to go as plane boarding!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Why don't Gaza force civilians into the army? Gaza has over a million people live there.

Egypt could've like send some army volunteers into Gaza Strip without declaring war on Israel.

Iran could've do the same thing.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

This sort of thing worries me, it will only drag the UN into it.

Posted

This sort of thing worries me, it will only drag the UN into it.

That's not a problem as they are useless.

Liberman says toppling Hamas not on the agenda

By JPOST.COM STAFF

11/16/2012 22:51

Toppling Hamas is not on the agenda as a goal for Operation Pillar of Defense, Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman told Channel 10 Friday.

"We are definitely considering a ground operation, but toppling Hamas, I think that's something that the next government will have to decide," he said.

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=292220

Edited by knocker
    Posted

VIENNA - Iran is ready to sharply expand its uranium enrichment in an underground site after installing all the centrifuges it was built for, a UN nuclear report showed on Friday, a development likely to fuel Western alarm over Tehran's nuclear aims.

The Islamic state has put in place nearly 2,800 centrifuges that the Fordow enrichment site, buried deep inside a mountain, was designed for and could soon double the number of them operating to almost 1,400, according to the confidential International Atomic Energy Agency report obtained by Reuters.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

First nuclear plant may have suffered new setback

Iran unloaded nuclear fuel from its first atomic power plant last month, the IAEA report also report said, a few months after the Russian builder said the long-postponed reactor was operating at full capacity.

The Bushehr plant is a symbol of what the Islamic Republic says is its peaceful nuclear ambitions, disputed by the West, and any new hitch would probably be seen as an embarrassment both for Tehran and Moscow, whose experts help run it.

The transfer of fuel assemblies from the reactor core to a spent fuel pond meant the plant was shut down, a diplomat familiar with the issue said. "It was certainly not foreseen, that's for sure," he said.

The reason for the unexpected move was unclear but it could be a sign of a new problem in running the Russian-built, 1,000-megawatt reactor near the Gulf city of Bushehr.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=292200

Posted

A load of nonsense. Another good reason why twitter is a backward step in evolution.

Probably two spotty kids who don't get out much ???

Whenever I have looked at this subject I always come down on the wrong side so tend not to comment too much about it. I cannot support lobbing rockets and shells over the Israel border willy nilly but can understand why the Palestinians are a bit upset with their neighbours?

I think I am right in saying that Israel has more UN resolutions against them then any other country in the world and that UN sanctions are non existent? They appear to have broken every rule in the book and if they were Arab their leaders would be swinging from the nearest gantry with a US flag flying in the main square - Or have I missed something ???

At least you know why I don't say much on the subject Posted Image

Edited by HighPressure
    Posted

I think I am right in saying that Israel has more UN resolutions against them then any other country in the world and that UN sanctions are non existent? They appear to have broken every rule in the book and if they were Arab their leaders would be swinging from the nearest gantry with a US flag flying in the main square - Or have I missed something ???

Yes but I shouldn't worry about it as it's a somewhat complicated subject.

Posted

I think most countries in the middle east break every rule in the box as west does when it suits them. The difference is when Israel do it it's headline news.

Posted

75,000 reservist troops have now lined up for an ever increasing potential ground invasion, could it happen?

Edited by PerfectStorm

I suggest that the leaders of Hammas get permission to drink alcohol, then they can go down the pub with the Israeli leaders, then after a few jars they may realise that people are not that fundamentally different, then they could shake hands, hug each other and live happily ever after.

Posted

The Beeb are doing the Hamas propaganda for them. "Children live around here" while forgetting that Hamas deliberately target civilians themselves and use their own as shields when on the receiving end. This tactic of using civilians areas to launch attacks is great propaganda victory for them as retaliation will kill innocent bystanders.

Posted

I suggest that the leaders of Hammas get permission to drink alcohol, then they can go down the pub with the Israeli leaders, then after a few jars they may realise that people are not that fundamentally different, then they could shake hands, hug each other and live happily ever after.

If only aye? Posted Image