Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

The actions of the Tory peer were utterly repugnant if this were to be the case and Cameron should speak out against him - however this appears to be the act of an opportunistic greedy individual rather than a collective action by the Tories - I doubt that Cameron knew about it until the discovery of this letter.

I'm mainly just peed off with the Scots government being attacked by Unionist parties over Megrahi 'not dying on time' when the former were the only ones not doing wee deals in the desert (Scotland hardly needing oil from elsewhere when it only uses 10% of home production domestically). I find it impossible to believe that if Libyans had not started a rebellion, the current UK gov would not be over there securing oil contracts/taking over where Tony left things.

http://www.businessinsider.com/libya-connect-the-dotsyou-get-a-giant-dollar-sign-2011-6

All rather grubby.

Anyway, I would like to know what really happened re Lockerbie, but I'm afraid we'll never know. The release of the SCCRC report by the SNP should confirm the Megrahi conviction was unsafe at best/likely he was innocent, but it won't tell us who acutally did it.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

The quiet revolution.

Hair and lipstick are Iranian women’s WMDs

Azar Nafisi

Daily acts of heroism show that the people will never stop fighting the insult of tyranny

A friend’s sister was at a party with some colleagues from her architecture firm in Tehran last week when it was raided by the Revolutionary Guards. She was so infuriated by the intrusion that she confronted the men. For this act of defiance, she was arrested and put in solitary confinement for two days, during which time her family waited outside the jail with other worried parents hoping to find out what would happen to her.

The architect was eventually freed on bail after her aunt paid for her release. This is an everyday occurrence in Iran. In fact, when I heard the story, I thought that she was lucky to have been held only for two days.

We read much about Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s nuclear plans but less about the heroism of my daughter’s generation, who wear their own weapons of mass destruction — better known as fashion. They go out showing a bit of hair or wearing lipstick. For this, they are thrown into jail, flogged and fined — but the next day they go back and do it all again. These women are not for or against the veil or Islam, they are campaigning for freedom of choice. No state has the right to tell its citizens how to dress or that they should believe in its version of God.

There are many ways of being eliminated by the authorities. They can take you to jail, torture and kill you. But they can also take away every aspect of a person that makes them individual. Something deeper than bravery motivates these women. Under such a totalitarian system you feel neither fear nor courage: instead, these acts of rebellion are an instinctive reaction because the insult goes so deep, the tone of the voice of the authorities is so dehumanising. As human beings, the women of Iran have had no choice but to defend who they are.

Some of Iran’s most repressive laws target women. No woman in Iran has automatic custody of her child. If her husband dies, her father-in-law takes the child. A woman accused of adultery can be put before a court and becomes subject to the whims of a judge.

Those who argue that women in Iran don’t want freedom because of their culture are wrong and demean women. Before the revolution in 1979, Iranian women had gained many rights, even sitting as judges. But they were stripped of their powers because they were classed as too “weak”. Real Iranian culture dates back thousands of years. The women in classical stories not only chose whom they wanted to marry, but whom they wanted to be with for one night. The regime in Tehran claims that youth are corrupted by Western ideals but we don’t have to read Western feminists to discover that we deserve the right to choose our men.

The 2009 demonstrations against the corrupt elections marked the first time that the Iranian people occupied our screens on such a large scale. The world saw that the protesters were not just a Westernised minority. Women, alongside men, religious and secular, modern and traditional, young and old, poured into the streets.

Alongside these hopeful images was the heartbreaking one of the murdered protester, Neda Agha Soltan. It broke my heart that she died, but also that she should have to perish for the world to know that women like her exist. Neda was interested in music and philosophy; one of her favourite books was Wuthering Heights. There is a sense of excitement about thought, imagination and individual liberties in Iran — as a result the West’s greatest weapon against Mr Ahmadinejad is its culture.

Azar Nafisi is the author of Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books and Things I Have Been Silent About

© The Times.

http://www.thetimes....icle3162255.ece

Edited by weather ship
    Posted

Morarlity is a word often bandied around on here; The latest example being Libya and oil interests but little appears to be said about Iran. The word is like a moveable feast where profit is concerned and has led to many soldiers from various countries returning home in coffins from Afghanistan. I'm talking of course of Iran arming the Taliban. I won't witter on because an article in the Times by Mark D. Wallace sums up my point very well. It's a fair bet UK companies are involved as well.

In the past year a growing consensus has emerged that Iran is training and arming Taleban insurgents responsible for hundreds of deaths of Nato soldiers in Afghanistan. Yet prominent European companies continue to do business with the Iranian regime.

In March British Special Forces intercepted a Taleban convoy carrying dozens of 122mm rockets made in Iran. More recently, Taleban commanders told this newspaper that hundreds of insurgents have been to Iran for training in bombing and ambush techniques. Tehran has also supplied them with large quantities of IEDs.

Last year was the bloodiest on record for Nato in Afghanistan: alongside heavy US and British losses, Italy and Germany lost 15 soldiers each, France 27. But while they were dying, corporations in their countries continued to do business with Iran. Consider Siemens. After the fallout from the engineering conglomerate’s sale of surveillance technology to Iran during its crackdown on election protesters, it promised to end its business with the Islamic Republic. But Siemens’ Iran revenue has jumped to almost $1 billion, much from sales to the state-dominated oil and gas sector.

Eni, the Italian oil conglomerate, continues to invest in Iranian energy, including purchases of crude that amounted to $2 billion last year. The French shipping giant CMA CGM has been caught three times attempting to ship smuggled weapons to and from Iran, including mortar shells and missile components.

European executives are fond of saying that these business activities don’t technically violate EU or UN sanctions. Yet key sectors of the Iranian economy, such as energy and construction, are dominated by the Revolutionary Guards responsible for training international terrorist groups.These businesses are engaged in a hypocrisy that gravely insults the memory of their fallen countrymen.

Under current EU sanctions, companies can purchase Iranian oil and gas without penalties. This must change. Europe must follow California in passing laws that stop companies receiving government contracts until they end business with Iran. European governments must pass laws that send a strong message to Iran that its deadly activities will not be rewarded.

Mark D. Wallace is president of United Against Nuclear Iran and a former US Ambassador to the United Nations

The link should be okay

http://www.thetimes....icle3163407.ece

I

Edited by weather ship
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm mainly just peed off with the Scots government being attacked by Unionist parties over Megrahi 'not dying on time' when the former were the only ones not doing wee deals in the desert (Scotland hardly needing oil from elsewhere when it only uses 10% of home production domestically). I find it impossible to believe that if Libyans had not started a rebellion, the current UK gov would not be over there securing oil contracts/taking over where Tony left things.

All rather grubby.

Aye SS. It's all decidedly distasteful IMO. Especially when one considers the way that the former Tory lot were not-so-secretly in cahoots with that nasty bunch of South American murderers referred to as The Contras...Let's face it, successive UK and US governments have pallied-up to all sorts of reprehensible characters. and will continue so to do. It is nothing new!

And Megrahi not 'dying on time'? Well yes, that just goes to show how monumentally ignorant of matters medical the press really are...No wonder newspaper sales continue to plummet!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

One party that hasn't got into any dirty deals the LIb Dems lets vote them in next election. The world is full hypocrisy from all nationalities and all religions.

Posted

One party that hasn't got into any dirty deals the LIb Dems lets vote them in next election. The world is full hypocrisy from all nationalities and all religions.

Oh, you mean the ConDems! It took a while to sink in who you meant, but never mind, I am a bit slow with some things.

Posted

Newly retired Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer reveals the truth about Libya he couldn’t speak of until he retired from the U.S. Army and the lies and conspiracy surrounding the Libyan war

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1174778450001/libya-amp-lies-the-government-told-you/

Posted

Britain’s Ambassador to Syria has cast aside diplomatic niceties and publicly denounced President Assad’s regime, accusing it of brutally suppressing peaceful protests, silencing all sources of information except its own, and making worthless promises of reform.

“It is used to power. And it will do anything it can to keep it,” Simon Collis wrote in the first instalment of a blog from Damascus that will anger the regime and call his own safety into question, but give succour to protesters who have spent the past six months fighting for freedom.

Posted

If any of this is true and a major disaster did occur I can't imagine the affects on the rest of the world.

Iran will be site of ‘the next Chernobyl’

The first Iranian nuclear power station is inherently unsafe and will probably cause a “tragic disaster for humankind”, according to a document apparently written by an Iranian whistleblower. There is a “great likelihood” that the Bushehr reactor could generate the next nuclear catastrophe after Chernobyl or Fukushima, says the document, which has been passed to The Times by a reputable source and is attributed to a former member of the legal department of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article3186800.ece

Posted

Ironic that we were originally involved because we had to protect civilians from the evil regime and now that rebels are now shelling civilians it suddenly seems okay.

Of course before the rebels had magic bullets and shells that missed civilians so perhaps that's happening again.

Posted

Oh Sh*t.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-15266992

Iran agents 'planned US terror attacks'

The US says it has broken up a major terror plot in which agents linked to Iran sought to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington.

The plot was "conceived" in Iran by the Quds force, part of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, he added.

Iran next then?

I find it hard to believe Iran would do this, not in the US anyway. I know lots of Iranians, their government might be silly, but it's not stupid to this extent surely?

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Oh Sh*t.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-15266992

Iran agents 'planned US terror attacks'

The US says it has broken up a major terror plot in which agents linked to Iran sought to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington.

The plot was "conceived" in Iran by the Quds force, part of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, he added.

Iran next then?

I find it hard to believe Iran would do this, not in the US anyway. I know lots of Iranians, their government might be silly, but it's not stupid to this extent surely?

So what do we think the US resonse will be? ......or will they simply give Israel the green light to deal with the nuclear threat?

post-1808-0-85980200-1318367472_thumb.jp

Posted

Of course they are. After all they they have been funding and arming Hezbollah with the aim of destroying Israel for years.

Posted

Of course they are. After all they they have been funding and arming Hezbollah with the aim of destroying Israel for years.

I'll ask my colleagues & friends and report. They of course are Mousavi backers. Iranians are not the problem - their government is.

EDIT. Isreal sadly does not have the best record in working for peace either.

Edited by scottish skier

I'll ask my colleagues & friends and report. They of course are Mousavi backers. Iranians are not the problem - their government is.

EDIT. Isreal sadly does not have the best record in working for peace either.

To use a technical expression the whole shebang is one ginormous cockup brought on by people who try to tell us they know best but certainly a lot of them have vested interests on both sides - meanwhile ordinary people are suffering.
    Posted

http://uk.news.yahoo...-214913783.html

UK backs 'Iran terror plot' action

Off we go again? I really hope not.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Unfortunately history teaches us that the only way to solve a full blown economic crises once all other options are exhausted is war.

Of course the MSM will not tell you that the Mexican drug cartel that was approached to do the job is the same one working for the CIA and that this story breaks today at the same time that Mrs Clinton is becoming further embroiled in Project Gunwalker. The ruling Saudis and Iranians hate each other, and I mean that in every respect. What you have to be on the lookout for is not posturing from USA & UK, but the consequences of the Shalit prisoner swap deal and what Turkey does next.

Posted

I guess Camerons ego hasn't been totally fulfilled after Libya. Soon he'll release he's sacked most of the army and doesn't have any troops left.

As for Israel it's a bit difficult to act peacefuly when everyone around you hates you and has the tendency to let people shell you which doesn't get reported by the media.

http://twitter.com/#!/QassamCount

Edited by The PIT
    Posted

Perhaps you could expand on that slightly SS.

There are of course two sides to every conflict is simply what I meant.

Just as their are innocent Israeli victims, so there are innocent palestinian ones.

Concessions needed from both sides, but both often unwilling.

Posted

Some years ago I dug a little deeper into the politics of Iran, purely out of interest. Complex doesn't begin to cover it. I'm not going to go over old ground again but I have no trouble believing that certain factions in Iran could well be behind the subject under discussion. A brief look at a couple of links. Well perhaps not so brief.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/middle_east/03/iran_power/html/

http://www.ivansahar.com/iran-political-structure.htm

There are of course two sides to every conflict is simply what I meant.

I'm afraid I cannot see the other side to Hezbolla's stated aim to remove Israel from the face of the earth with the support of Iran.

Posted

I'm afraid I cannot see the other side to Hezbolla's stated aim to remove Israel from the face of the earth with the support of Iran.

I can assure you my office mate and boss (inc wives, friends and family) have no interest in wiping Israel off the map, nor do the vast majority of Iranians (based on my 'inside sources' and of course news reports...). However, the government they don’t vote for (elections being a charade) likes to stir up trouble (sort of like 'Call me Dave' on illegal immigrants - a conservative vote winnerPosted Image ) in between making its disapproving citizens disappear etc.

Iranians (the vast majority) are not an enemy. Sadly, my office mate is almost supportive of US attacks on his own country, yet trusts the US gov less than is own.

As for Israel? As a relatively new state created along religious grounds in a hurry, it is hardly unexpected that it might not be slightly unwelcome to some locals, what with the walls, land grabs, settlements etc. A good start would be to have a recognised Palestinian state which might begin to even things up, given the latter lacks US backing, a high-tech army, nuclear weapons... My Isaeli friends agree; but not all their countrymen do - hence the problem.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1

I can assure you my office mate and boss (inc wives, friends and family) have no interest in wiping Israel off the map, nor do the vast majority of Iranians (based on my 'inside sources' and of course news reports...). However, the government they don’t vote for (elections being a charade) likes to stir up trouble (sort of like 'Call me Dave' on illegal immigrants - a conservative vote winnerPosted Image ) in between making its disapproving citizens disappear etc.

Iranians (the vast majority) are not an enemy. Sadly, my office mate is almost supportive of US attacks on his own country, yet trusts the US gov less than is own.

As for Israel? As a relatively new state created along religious grounds in a hurry, it is hardly unexpected that it might not be slightly unwelcome to some locals, what with the walls, land grabs, settlements etc. A good start would be to have a recognised Palestinian state which might begin to even things up, given the latter lacks US backing, a high-tech army, nuclear weapons... My Isaeli friends agree; but not all their countrymen do - hence the problem.

About a month or so ago I heard a Jewish lady speaking on "Any Answers". She felt that the Israelis were giving the remainder of the Jews a poor image and for that reason she demonstrated against the Israeli Orchestra at Albert Hall during The Proms. In my view she had a point.

The Palestinians did not ask the Iraelis to take away land and homes where they had lived and farmed for generations and they did not ask for those still living in Israel to be treated as second class citizens.

I believe that a lot of this could have been avoided in 1948 if the UN made it a condition that Palestine,as it was then should have been made a secular state but they didn't and that is now history.

I also agree with you that the ordinary folk of the region on both sides would much rather have peace and get on with their lives. As it is we have extremists on both sides continually stirring up trouble making a settlement increasingly more difficult to achieve which is obviously not the way forward.