Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks like the colonel has fled. But to where??

Plenty of rumours flying around and nobody on the ground to report what is happening.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Reports suggest he may be on his way to see his buddy in Venezuela.

Posted

Comparing Ghadaffi to Chavez is completely out of order.

Where did I say that? They are friends are they not?

Posted

Where did I say that? They are friends are they not?

Why should Chavez (of the anti-Empire and pro-Bolivarian movement) be friends with a dictator who has had support from British Petroleum and Tony Blair et al?

The smiles and handshakes in front of the cameras don't reveal everything.

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

Fine, but I didn't compare the two.

Posted

If Americans and British people drove less, they wouldn't need any oil from the middle-east. The power is in the consumer to make companies and banks collapse, and new ones (that are more de-centralized) to take their place.

Feel free to join the Transition movement. This is the website of the Durham chapter:-

http://www.transitiondurham.org.uk/

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

Why should Chavez (of the anti-Empire and pro-Bolivarian movement) be friends with a dictator who has had support from British Petroleum and Tony Blair et al?

The smiles and handshakes in front of the cameras don't reveal everything.

Perhaps they like camel racing who knows. Anyway they are friends so the rumour maybe correct.

If Americans and British people drove less, they wouldn't need any oil from the middle-east. The power is in the consumer to make companies and banks collapse, and new ones (that are more de-centralized) to take their place.

Feel free to join the Transition movement. This is the website of the Durham chapter:-

http://www.transitiondurham.org.uk/

So you wish to make the people of the middle east even poorer eh??? Actually banks being decentralised is one of the problems which is why you can't bring them to heal unless all Governments agree worldwide.

Edited by The PIT
    Posted

Perhaps they like camel racing who knows. Anyway they are friends so the rumour maybe correct.

So you wish to make the people of the middle east even poorer eh??? Actually banks being decentralised is one of the problems which is why you can't bring them to heal unless all Governments agree worldwide.

I don't know about the rumour being correct or not.

As for "making them poorer" - that isn't what I wan't. Do you remember when Iranian leader Mossadegh was ousted by the British and American intelligence agencies when he tried to nationalise his own oil? If not, have you read about it? Even Obama publically admitted it was wrong of the US to do that.

Your claim about de-centralisation is wrong. We live in a system where government borrows from private banks, and we pay the interest in taxes. The financial industries are global and very centralised - mostly in capitals like London. Their operations are nefarious and fraudulent and they are hardly democratic or transparent. They do things with our money that would make it hard to sleep at night. That is a far cry from community currencies or democratic credit-unions.

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

I heard the regime is using fighter jets to attack the crowd.

And some of the airforce have refused to carry out the orders....and have fled to Malta

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=133940091

All seems to be getting very very nasty in Libya....with other military forces including aircraft firing on protesters.....it must be chaos and unfortunately the civilian casualties are bound to be horrific.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold
    Over 500 people have died in Tripoli today as Gaddafi has fired at them from Militart tanks in Green Square. The Police have joined the protesters, and practically every Libyan Ambassador has quit, it's a shambles there - I'm sure Gaddafi is killing as a farewell, which is disgraceful, and if it's not a farewell, even more so. Notice how the US, the EU, and the UN has kept nice and quiet, can't be disappointing Weapon Trade Customer #1, can we now?
    Posted

Notice how the US, the EU, and the UN has kept nice and quiet, can't be disappointing Weapon Trade Customer #1, can we now?

Makes you proud doesn't it!!

£27.4m of arms exports from the UK to Libya in 2009. Seem to be working very effectively ....great at killing loads of civilians!!

....Best we keep quiet though, if Gaddafi hangs on he'll need to restock!! :angry::angry:

Posted

Makes you proud doesn't it!!

£27.4m of arms exports from the UK to Libya in 2009. Seem to be working very effectively ....great at killing loads of civilians!!

....Best we keep quiet though, if Gaddafi hangs on he'll need to restock!! :angry::angry:

Posted Image

http://news1.capitalbay.com/news/blair_in_secret_talks_with.html

Posted

UN should have been disbanded years ago as it's a waste of time and corrupt as well.

Boy I hate the arms trade makes one sick to the core.

Edited by The PIT
    Posted

Gaddafi's boys' are on one last saloon, and are going around the nation of Libya in their Jets, bombing towns and killing many, nearing on in Benghazi. However, a fatwa has been imposed on Colonel Gaddafi. Why have the UN not made a no-fly zone there? And to believe this is 2011 and THIS is happening.

Whoever pulls the trigger on the deranged Dictator will be a legend, especially if it happens soon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It's certainly a chain of dominos that won't seem to stop falling. Once Tunisia and Egypt 'fell', then Libya was always likely to be next - particularly given the odd. and rather vulnerable way Quaddafi held power (largely with the consent of a range of disparate tribal leaders). The really interesting two are Djibouti (A country with huge strategic importance for France and widespread disorder is almost certain to see French military intervention)and Bahrain. Bahrain is almost a barometer as to whether the Emirate kingdoms are under threat - if rioting continues or intensifies there, then particularly if there is significant bloodshed, it'll put western countries in a really difficult position.

As to a no-fly zone - who enforces it? The UN doesn't have an air force, so they'd have to get the French or Italians to do it, and they'll get shot at, which effectively means war. No European country would do want to police a no-fly zone over Libya without UN consent - that means a Security Council resolution, and we all know what they're worth and how easy they are to get.

Edited by Just Before Dawn
    Posted

Gaddafi's speech:

I am in Tripoli, not Venezuela

VERY PRODUCTIVE.

EDIT:

''I am in Tripoli and wish to speak to protesters'' - This is an alternate translation. ARGHHHHHHH!

Edited by Isolated Frost
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The power vacuum will result in hardline Islamists gaining power in at least half of the affected countries. It's all very well saying that these revolutions will result in democracy but in many cases the opposite will happen. Watch this space. It won't be pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

The power vacuum will result in hardline Islamists gaining power in at least half of the affected countries. It's all very well saying that these revolutions will result in democracy but in many cases the opposite will happen. Watch this space. It won't be pretty.

It's a possibility in some, Algeria and Morocco, perhaps, but we'll see. I'm not convinced to be honest. I suspect some will go through a period of instability and one or two may well end up back under military or authoritarian rule.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

It's a possibility in some, Algeria and Morocco, perhaps, but we'll see. I'm not convinced to be honest. I suspect some will go through a period of instability and one or two may well end up back under military or authoritarian rule.

The fascists are very, very organised. I hope I'm wrong but Al-Q will see this as ripe territory. There are very few cases of dictators being overthrown which ended up in perfect democracy straight after. There are very many cases of dictators being overthrown which ended up in war.

Posted

The fascists are very, very organised. I hope I'm wrong but Al-Q will see this as ripe territory. There are very few cases of dictators being overthrown which ended up in perfect democracy straight after. There are very many cases of dictators being overthrown which ended up in war.

It's all about technology. Technology will not ALLOW this to happen again, it won't allow authoritarian and fascist, repressive regimes. I really feel that we CAN hit a nail here, and possibly most of the world changing, of course very far away, but Dijbouti, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi (possibly), Qatar (possibly) and Iran (possibly) are next in line...

Posted

I think Muslims of Al-Q will be very upset at being called fascists although they do like them due to the anti Jewish views fascists express. As far as I'm aware there aren't any fascists involved in this and never will be.

Any further unrest the longer it goes on does open the doors for these extremists. Clearly the extremists have been caught off guard otherwise they would have been present, vocal and stirring up anti western views via the Mosques.

UN having a belated meeting so perhaps a no fly zone maybe imposed. However it's possible that extremists will use this as evidence of western interferance which may explain the lack of action.

Posted

Meanwhile......just to calm tensions

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12533803

Iran said they had gone through the Suez Canal two days ago!! Methinks the Iranians are agitating with a great big wood spoon........knowing full well Israel is very jittery about this.

Why is Iran needing to get a Supply ship accompanied by a Frigate through to Syria?? Something on board or...... just to raise tension in the area?