Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

to be honest think its a sad day when nato can bring down gadaffi but turn a blind eye on whats going on in syria as that was and is much worse... if only there had oil hey nato

Edited by lfcdude
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

Al-Jazzera confirming Gaddafi's son has surrendered,

Eqypt, Libya, Algeria. Surely Assad must know his days are numbered and the end will come eventually?

Gaddafi very much alive, just been on Al-Jazeera in Audio, says he will stay to the end.

And your conclusion from all this up to date reporting to the question, where are events taking us?

Posted

to be honest think its a sad day when nato can bring down gadaffi but turn a blind eye on whats going on in syria as that was and is much worse... if only there had oil hey nato

That's a bit simplistic though. Libya is a country with a Meditaerranean coastline, where most of the population lives & is easily accessible to NATO, by air & sea. Also when the conflict began, the "rebel" forces, already had A sizeable chunk of the country already in their control & an identifiable structure was in place.

At the moment, Syria remains a civil uprising. Attacks by the government are in limited areas & there is no organised & recognisable oppositon to support militarily. Should one emerge I would hope we'd do what we could.

And your conclusion from all this up to date reporting to the question, where are events taking us?

It seems to me that Libyans are quite pragmatic & realistic. There will be problems I don't doubt, but they seem to have the will to unite. Of course, it will help that although NATO's support has been crucial, the Libyan people have done this for themselves with no foreign troops involved.

Good luck to them all.

Posted

That's a bit simplistic though. Libya is a country with a Meditaerranean coastline, where most of the population lives & is easily accessible to NATO, by air & sea. Also when the conflict began, the "rebel" forces, already had A sizeable chunk of the country already in their control & an identifiable structure was in place.

At the moment, Syria remains a civil uprising. Attacks by the government are in limited areas & there is no organised & recognisable oppositon to support militarily. Should one emerge I would hope we'd do what we could.

there were pushed back to bangazi... that was about to fall any time soon.. before nato stepped in.. well there have just reached green squear now... wonder where gadaffi is hiding.. rebels belive hes in Algeria.

so its ok for nato to stand idly by and let thousands die in Syria? Believe me if there had oil there wouldn't, When there's a will there's a way.

• Like 1
    Posted

It seems to me that Libyans are quite pragmatic & realistic. There will be problems I don't doubt, but they seem to have the will to unite. Of course, it will help that although NATO's support has been crucial, the Libyan people have done this for themselves with no foreign troops involved.

Good luck to them all.

I was thinking about the whole of the Middle East not just Libya.

Posted

there were pushed back to bangazi... that was about to fall any time soon.. before nato stepped in.. well there have just reached green squear now... wonder where gadaffi is hiding.. rebels belive hes in Algeria.

so its ok for nato to stand idly by and let thousands die in Syria? Believe me if there had oil there wouldn't, When there's a will there's a way.

How would this be done? Going in a militarily taking over towns & cities? it is a totally different situation.

Suppose Britain was Syria & the recent riots were an uprising against the Government? How on earth could NATO have stepped in to protect those people?

Posted

there were planned protests against the government... nato have there own military police as there were planned there could police it and protect the public against the government sending there army in to shoot them all.. and then hunt them down in the mountains shooting them.... our whats the point in nato even having military police?

Posted

No idea. Hopefully an Islamic state based on western democractic models as opposed to the opposite form of an Islamic state with Sharia law.

Posted

reports coming in on Reuters gaddafi is captured sky only saying one gaddafi there dont know who..has just been detained press conference in a hour!

Edited by lfcdude
    Posted

reports coming in on Reuters gaddafi is captured sky only saying one gaddafi there dont know who..has just been detained press conference in a hour!

The UK representative of the transitional national council is now saying the same. Imagine Gadaffi on trial in the Hague calling Blair & Bush as defence witnesses!
    Posted

The UK representative of the transitional national council is now saying the same. Imagine Gadaffi on trial in the Hague calling Blair & Bush as defence witnesses!

haha his buddy blair!! wonder what will happen now to that lockerbie bomber? justice?

Posted

Looks like Gaddafi is not as popular in Tripoli as he's been making out. Right now residents are showing support for the rebels wherever they turn up, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of bloodshed so far.

Unless he flees or commits suicide, I would assume that conquering Gaddafi's compound will be far tougher and more dangerous.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I wouldn't too over joyed yet we may have changed from extreme government to another extreme government. We don't really know who these rebels are and how experienced they are in Government.

Going back to Lockerbie perhaps we'll find out who actually did it now.

Posted

I wouldn't too over joyed yet we may have changed from extreme government to another extreme government. We don't really know who these rebels are and how experienced they are in Government.

Na. Americans will just bribe some more witnesses and put the walking skeleton on the chair.

http://www.firmmagazine.com/news/2430/Former_Lord_Advocate_concedes_key_Pan_Am_103_witness_was_bribed.html

Posted

the rebels our being pushed back from the compound and gaddafis son is using tanks... not over yet.. rebel spokesman saying lots of rebels have died and a blood bath is now happening near the compound... he apperntly believes he can take back Tripoli... waits for nato to decide to bomb them...

reports that fighting is breaking out elsewhere aswell.. as some people our actually coming to fight for gadaffi

Edited by lfcdude

Generally different groups of people join together for the common purpose of overthrowing the oppressor. Then once this is achieved they can start to squabble amongst themselves for the spoils starting another period of conflict - I hope that doesn't happen here. The problem being that in order to get them on the "right track" (which will be perceived differently by different peoples) it may need assistance and advice from the people with experience of setting up a government but any such from the "first world west" may well be resented and any help given from that direction would need to be low key.

Perhaps it may be a situation where the United Nations would need to be involved to assist in restoring order and giving advice.

Posted

Perhaps it may be a situation where the United Nations would need to be involved to assist in restoring order and giving advice.

I think we can expect the UK government to be looking into securing oil, restructuring contracts etc for big business as the main goal. Dave C looks well pleased that the primary aim of regime change seems to be paying off; going to be rich pickings for many mates at the top!

As for the Libyan government; I guess the primary concern of the UK government is that it favours the UK/France for the above. Ruskies are certainly well cheesed off that it looks like they'll be losing out.Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier

I think we can expect the UK government to be looking into securing oil, restructuring contracts etc for big business as the main goal. Dave C looks well pleased that the primary aim of regime change seems to be paying off; going to be rich pickings for many mates at the top!

As for the Libyan government; I guess the primary concern of the UK government is that it favours the UK/France for the above. Ruskies are certainly well cheesed off that it looks like they'll be losing out.Posted Image

I expect it will be some time before things are settled down but something like this would certainly give a boost to the UK economy.
    Posted

If the fighting dies down soon, I guess UK forces will be free to help save lives in/bring democracy to Syria? They're already down that way....

Posted

I wonder why he remained a colonel and not promoted himself generalismo when he took power?

Remember, he had 'No official position'. That's why he can't resign either...Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14620671

2200 down and counting in Syria. Can we rely on Dave and Willie to push for a resolution using all necessary force to protect Syrian civilians and save the day, heros that they are?

Posted

I still don't see how there can be any military intervention in Syria. The protestors possess no area that they control that can be defended. Even if the UN passed a similar resoloution about defending civillians, how could it be done? The task in Libya was initially, to stop Gaddafi's forces moving back into Benghazi & slaughtering the population. The whole area was free & forces advancing could be seen & attacked from the air. In Syria, the police & army are in every town & city already. You can't begin to deal with that through air power, without substantial damage & casualties in the civillian poulation. Frustrating as it is, the Syrian situation is completely different & we are helpless to help militarily, unless you're suggesting that Nato in the guise of Turkey should invade from the North?

I am more hopeful of a positive future for Libya. It is a prosperous country with a small & from what I see, pretty well-educated population. The fact that there are so many migrant workers there doing jobs that Libyans didn't want to do, is testament to the wealth. Also the NTC seems deliberately not to have dismantled the basic structure of government in the East, another massive mistake in Iraq, & day to day life seems to have gone on without a collapse in law & order. All good signs. There will be problems, probably big ones, but all of the people we have seen, seem to have much goodwill & the interests of their country at heart.

• Like 1

I still don't see how there can be any military intervention in Syria. The protestors possess no area that they control that can be defended. Even if the UN passed a similar resoloution about defending civillians, how could it be done? The task in Libya was initially, to stop Gaddafi's forces moving back into Benghazi & slaughtering the population. The whole area was free & forces advancing could be seen & attacked from the air. In Syria, the police & army are in every town & city already. You can't begin to deal with that through air power, without substantial damage & casualties in the civillian poulation. Frustrating as it is, the Syrian situation is completely different & we are helpless to help militarily, unless you're suggesting that Nato in the guise of Turkey should invade from the North?

I am more hopeful of a positive future for Libya. It is a prosperous country with a small & from what I see, pretty well-educated population. The fact that there are so many migrant workers there doing jobs that Libyans didn't want to do, is testament to the wealth. Also the NTC seems deliberately not to have dismantled the basic structure of government in the East, another massive mistake in Iraq, & day to day life seems to have gone on without a collapse in law & order. All good signs. There will be problems, probably big ones, but all of the people we have seen, seem to have much goodwill & the interests of their country at heart.

The only way overt intervention can be made in Syria is by boots on the ground and after Iraq and Afghanistan I don't think our people have any stomach for even more soldiers being repatriated in coffins and neither have I. Covert assistance is a different matter, no doubt this is being given already but we are just not told about it. As it is the British Army is fairly overstretched.

As far as Libya is concerned there are hopeful noises coming out about the future constitution etc, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by mike Meehan
    Posted

Libya: Gaddafi Son Free As Fighting Continues

Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's son and heir apparent Saif al Islam is free and not being detained by rebel forces, as had been claimed.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16055051

He greeted supporters and took journalists on a tour of parts of the city still under the regime's control, saying: "The situation in Libya is excellent, thank God.

I find that interesting good read the mans clearly nuts if he thinks the people our with them and this is a trap set by them........ still took them on a tour of parts of the city... far from over!

Edited by lfcdude