Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

thats why there's unlikely to be any military intervention in somalia. it is an extremely dangerous place and aid agencies could not work without military help. it has no economic value. too high a risk for so little gain. think 'black hawk down'...

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Last time America was there it got it's backside kicked.

Anyway we now kicked out Libyan staff and got the rebels in the embassies.

Of course now Gaddaffi can stay in the country if he's wanted or can leave when he will be promptly arrested. Somehow I think he'll stay and try and sit it out.

Posted

Last time America was there it got it's backside kicked.

And the relevance of that remark? As a matter of interest when did Somalia become part of the Middle East.? I realise too late my degree should have been in forum decoding!!

Edited by weather ship
    Posted

And the relevance of that remark? As a matter of interest when did Somalia become part of the Middle East.? I realise too late my degree should have been in forum decoding!!

An older video, but one I always find funny, yet damn serious.

Interviewer asks Americans who to invade next in the war on terror, then for them to put a pin on the world map where that country is....

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

An older video, but one I always find funny, yet damn serious.

Interviewer asks Americans who to invade next in the war on terror, then for them to put a pin on the world map where that country is....

I'd say Australia is in biiiig trouble SS!
    Posted

just to add to that, libya is actually in north africa. the point is, the U.S. and its allies use military intervention in the middle east under the guise of 'humanitarianism' to protect economic and political interests, whereas places like somalia who really need the help are largely ignored as they have no economic or political value

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well now we're totally bogged down in Libya with no end in sight. I wonder how long we can keep shoveling money down a black hole.

Moving onto Syria the expected nothing statement out of the UN. The UN does really need to start taking center stage or should be disbanded altogether. Ironically the Muslim world stays silent when Syria prevents civilian from going to prayers. The only country to speak up was Lebanon.

Posted

Media coverage has gone quiet at libya.

More deaths in libya with 85 civillians incl 33 children,this was on monday.

Some interesting comments at the bottom,what most really think about it.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/193106.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well now we're totally bogged down in Libya with no end in sight. I wonder how long we can keep shoveling money down a black hole.

Moving onto Syria the expected nothing statement out of the UN. The UN does really need to start taking center stage or should be disbanded altogether. Ironically the Muslim world stays silent when Syria prevents civilian from going to prayers. The only country to speak up was Lebanon.

Aye, PIT. This whole 'mission' is fast turning into Cameron's Afghanistan/Iraq, if you ask me: despite all of Mr Hague's reassurances - it's all about the oil...

Posted

Now Nato are planning to arm Syria`s armred criminal gangs with weapons,where are events taking us indeed.

http://www.presstv.c...ail/193902.html

Who exactly are the armed criminal gangs in Syria?. That is apart from the Assad family. NATO has always been innifective, ask the Israelis. And if you want to know where events are taking us start off with a bit of history like the Balfour declaration and then the 1948 independence of Israel and the history from then on. Events are not really taking us where we haven't been before.

I find the post very interesting considering the murderous activities by Syria in the Lebanon over the years.

Edited by weather ship
    Posted

Now Nato are planning to arm Syria`s armred criminal gangs with weapons,where are events taking us indeed.

http://www.presstv.c...ail/193902.html

I'd be rather critical of anything coming out of DEBKA - just from personal experience. Also bare in mind that PressTV tend to be one of the most untruthful news agencies in the Middle East (they're basically a front for Khameni).

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

I'd be rather critical of anything coming out of DEBKA - just from personal experience. Also bare in mind that PressTV tend to be one of the most untruthful news agencies in the Middle East (they're basically a front for Khameni).

Russia and china won`t allow that I doubt.

It`s on the sky channel 515 seen lots more world news,with all this unrest going on.

This with Nato planning an attack in Iran in september what do you think?.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/192596.htm

The problem with interventions such as in Libya and now, if the previous reports are correct, Syria, we never really know the final outcome of this unrest is going to be. Attempts to impose western style values often meet with failure. The cultures are so very much different apart from which they know the west is there for the oil and this causes continued resentment in some quarters.

I wonder whether it would be better to just let them get on with it and let them find their own solutions. A tyrannical government will fall sooner or later as shown through out history and current events - people will only stand so much before they rise up, though it is quite possible that one tyranny can be replaced by another

As far as I see it the opposing ideologies of Israel and the Arab states will continue to ferment until such time as there is a real change of heart on both sides which I suspect will not be likely for a long time and while it continues it will remain a source of agitation for the region.

Edited by mike Meehan
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from the obvious, Cameron & Obama need their 'dragon-slaying missions' just as Blair & Bush did, what exactly are we supposed to be doing in that region?

Posted

Apart from the obvious, Cameron & Obama need their 'dragon-slaying missions' just as Blair & Bush did, what exactly are we supposed to be doing in that region?

Quite. The same as we did during the Hama massacre of 1982. Nothing. A brief reminder on Middle East conflicts since 1918.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_conflicts_in_the_Middle_East

It's impossible to answer the question in the thread title.

Posted

Russia and china won`t allow that I doubt.

It`s on the sky channel 515 seen lots more world news,with all this unrest going on.

This with Nato planning an attack in Iran in september what do you think?.

http://www.presstv.i...tail/192596.htm

actually if you read the article properly, it is israel who are allegedly planning the september attack, and certainly not verified, as the information comes from the generic "former CIA agent"

Posted

actually if you read the article properly, it is israel who are allegedly planning the september attack, and certainly not verified, as the information comes from the generic "former CIA agent"

I was asking PP thoughts not yours.

I know what it read.

Posted

I was asking PP thoughts not yours.

I know what it read.

sorry, i wasn't aware that you and PP knew of a secret NATO attack

The rebels are entering the outskirts of Tripoli now, so Gadaffi could eventually fall but what then? Apparently there are different factions amongst the rebels - will they fight amongst themselves leading to a continued instability in Libya?

Posted

All over for Gadaffi judging by pictures on Al Jazeera, saying his son Saif has been captured, unconfirmed Tweets that Gadaffi himself is dead.

He should have left when he had the chance.

Posted

Al-Jazzera confirming Gaddafi's son has surrendered,

Eqypt, Libya, Algeria. Surely Assad must know his days are numbered and the end will come eventually?

Gaddafi very much alive, just been on Al-Jazeera in Audio, says he will stay to the end.