Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

From the London School of Economics.

That place has always been known as the "London school of extreme left wing  views "

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

That place has always been known as the "London school of extreme left wing  views "

I don't think holding left-wing political views is prerequisite for seeing how futile our government's bombing strategy is, David? People of all political persuasions can have common sense?

Edited by Ed Stone
    • Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

It's not left wing to oppose poorly planned air strikes that rely on the imaginary assistance of imaginary moderate rebel ground troops.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Images from #Baghdad - In front of the Turkish Embassy - protesters condemn Turkey's intervention in northern #Iraq.

Embedded image permalink

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

You just wonder if Iraq will 'follow through' with its threat to Turkey of now only having 24hrs to get out or else?

(A Russian article, so the usual caveats should be applied.)

http://fortruss.blogspot.ru/2015/12/what-is-us-cooking-up-for-turkey-iraq.html

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted

https://www.rt.com/news/325070-turkey-iraq-troops-crossing/

As a Baghdad-issued ultimatum for Turkish troops to leave the area is nearing its deadline, Russia intends to bring up Ankara's invasion of northern Iraq without the country's request at the UN Security Council on Thursday.

“The issue will be raised at a closed-door meeting,” TASS cited a diplomatic source within the organization as saying. The source also dismissed earlier reports that Moscow was going to call a separate UNSC meeting.

According to Iraqi media,Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi has put the Iraqi Air Force on high alert and the ruling National Iraqi Alliance has given the prime minister the go-ahead to take“any measures” to ensure territorial integrity and protect its borders, including addressing the UN and the Arab League.

Posted
    13 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

It... it has?

Posted

Syria: British Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Hasaka.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/12/07/syria-british-airstrike-kills-20-civilians-in-hasaka/

US Attacks Syrian Military, World Awaits Russian Response.

The Message of The Aerial Bombing of Syrian Troops - Morris.

The war can only get bigger now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96sTzbqD7c&feature=youtu.be

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
    21 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Syria: British Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Hasaka.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/12/07/syria-british-airstrike-kills-20-civilians-in-hasaka/

US Attacks Syrian Military, World Awaits Russian Response.

The Message of The Aerial Bombing of Syrian Troops - Morris.

The war can only get bigger now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96sTzbqD7c&feature=youtu.be

Reading the title and the report it looks like a joint operation and in fact US led - I see nothing definitive to show it was the RAF responsible for these deaths.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    37 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Reading the title and the report it looks like a joint operation and in fact US led - I see nothing definitive to show it was the RAF responsible for these deaths.

Well whether they are or not, if we wasn't there no one would be able to blame us. This is the kind of problem I was worried about, which is why I was against the bombing. Only a matter of time before we are a legit russian target now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I could have punched Fallon the other day whilst he was in Cyprus speaking to the 'RAF'! pilots.   When interviewed by the BBC afterwards,  he made a point of stating that SCOTLAND and its pilots were doing a great Job.    Scotland as we know doesn't have an Airforce - just  RAF squadrons  BASED in Scotland!

Even in these anxious times he couldn't help but get in a political back stabbing jibe knowing full well that Scottish MPs were totally against this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

‘None of the UK’s 7 foiled terror plots were directed from Syria’ – Alex Salmond

https://www.rt.com/uk/325123-salmond-airstrikes-syria-attacks/

Not one of the seven terror attacks foiled by British police in the past year was directed from Syria, Scottish National Party (SNP) MSP MP Alex Salmond has said.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 on Sunday, Salmond said the plots were planned as either “lone wolf” attacks or inspired by the “worldwide rhetoric of Daesh (Islamic State).”

“Not one of the seven foiled plots was directed from Syria,” said the former First Minister.

“If you look at the prime minister and examine his own record you know that,” he said.

• Like 4
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I could have punched Fallon the other day whilst he was in Cyprus speaking to the 'RAF'! pilots.   When interviewed by the BBC afterwards,  he made a point of stating that SCOTLAND and its pilots were doing a great Job.    Scotland as we know doesn't have an Airforce - just  RAF squadrons  BASED in Scotland!

Even in these anxious times he couldn't help but get in a political back stabbing jibe knowing full well that Scottish MPs were totally against this!

That's an absolute joke. Is he trying to encourage terrorist attacks on Scotland? If that does happen, Tories (and Libs as they voted for it) will both have blood on their hands.

The SNP and the entire Scottish Labour Westminster Group - ergo Scotland's two biggest parties - voted against the motion.

Makes me especially hope things don't go the Lib Dem way tomorrow when the Carmichael verdict is given. We might yet kick the last Lib MP out of Scotland.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

Iraqi PM asks NATO to press Turkey to pull troops from north Iraq

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-russia-turkey-davutogl-idUSKBN0TR14F20151208?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Iraq asked NATO on Tuesday to put pressure on alliance member Turkey to withdraw its troops immediately from northern Iraq after Ankara said it would not deploy any more but refused to pull out those already there.

The arrival of a heavily armed Turkish contingent near the frontline close to Mosul has added yet another controversial deployment to a war against Islamic State that has drawn in most of the world's major powers.

"NATO must use its authority to urge Turkey to withdraw immediately from Iraqi territory," Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said in a statement, posted after a 48-hour deadline set by Baghdad for a withdrawal of the troops expired.

Posted

There is an article in the Times today by Daniel Finkelstein, Siding with Assad would be a catastrophe, which I completely agree with and have said as much in the past. An extract.

Assad is now in alliance with Shia Iran and its proxies to suppress a mainly Sunni revolt. As Michael Weiss and Hassan Hassan describe in their book Isis: Inside the Army of Terror, his strategy has been to make the West believe he is fighting only jihadists and thereby to draw us in on his side. Throughout the conflict he has therefore been aiding Isis, while fighting the Free Syrian Army and other factions.

If the West joins with the regime to assist Shia suppression of the revolt against the regime it will drive even more Sunnis into the hands of Isis, making the problems in Syria worse, not better.

There are many Syrians living in or near Isis-controlled areas who accept jihadist rule for entirely practical reasons. There is fear, of course. But it is also because Isis keeps the lights on and suppresses crime (except its own) and ensures the supply of food (having first taken control of the grain stores).

One might think of these Syrian acceptors as “shy Isis”. They have little ideological commitment to Isis. They resent the jihadists’ medieval social ideas as much as one might imagine they do. Yet Isis protects them from the regime and from Shia revenge. Western support for Assad would deepen and widen Sunni commitment to Isis, pulling in moderate Syrians. It would be a disaster.

We know this, because our miserable decision not to respond to Assad’s chemical attacks in 2013 had the effect of inspiring the growth of Isis. The argument that we have turned from trying to bomb Assad to trying to defeat his opponents misunderstands the position. These two actions belong together. Tackling Assad strengthens the fight against Isis.

The counter to all this, of course, is that at least support for Assad would allow a coherent military campaign. We could simply help the Shia crush the Sunnis.

This policy is every kind of terrible. Morally appalling, it is also strategically short-sighted. It would leave not Assad, but a combination of Vladimir Putin and the Iranian ayatollahs in charge of as much of Syria as they could hold on to, and one would have to be very imaginative to conclude that this made us safer from terrorism.

Additionally, it wouldn’t even work to stabilise Syria. There are too many Sunnis in Syria and the development of jihadism is too far gone to imagine one can simply return to Baathist dictatorship.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Oh dear a poor article which doesn't really grasp the reality and based on Moral knee jerk reaction without thinking of the long term. Basically it condemns Syria to long term instability which will be used by the likes of Isis to tighten their grip elsewhere in the Middle east.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So , where are we at?

NATO recommission 180 multi Yield Nuke ( of which some are situated in Turkey).

France bombs Syria.

Turkey shoot down a russian fighter bomber.

China align with Russia/Iran and Syria after Daesh kills two of its citizens, they deploy a carrier off Syria and begin bombing.

Britain bomb Syria.

Russia turn up with a warship carrying as much firepower as the whole U.S. Navy in WWII followed by a sub with Russia's version of Cruise missiles in it ( which seem to work fine and Dandy so much so that Putin comments upon them telling us which warheads he has at his disposal but reassuring us he hopes the Nukes wont be needed....)

Putin is handed the black box from downed Jet and asks for other nations to open them , under open scrutiny, to find out just where the Jet was when attacked.

Russia ammasses 150 thousand troops in Syria. Turkey encroach into both Syria and Iraq.

Iraq ask the UN to tell Turkey to get out of sovereign territory.

Russia moves operational nukes into the Arctic.

Soooooooo, what next? Russia proves turkey was wrong to engage with the jet? Russia shows Turkey back stabbing coalition by taking oil from Daesh and taking in wounded Daesh fighters......... Turkey gets into a fire fight with Russia ground forces. Russia squished turkish forces. Turkey takes over NATO Nukes and fires it off in retaliation ......... bright flash followed by melting eyeballs for many around the planet. Middle Eastern oil no longer a CO2 concern as it is nothing but fused sand and radioactivity.........

Had NATO not chosen to re-arm those Nukes I'd have had no such concerns but us doing that, followed by Putin telling us he has Nukes in the region, has me twitched. 

Edited by Gray-Wolf
    • Like 3
    Posted
    1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Oh dear a poor article which doesn't really grasp the reality and based on Moral knee jerk reaction without thinking of the long term. Basically it condemns Syria to long term instability which will be used by the likes of Isis to tighten their grip elsewhere in the Middle east.

As I've already stated I posted something similar a little while so I find that soundbite extremely patronising and ignorant. You always seem to assume that your opinion is the only option worth considering whilst at same time apparently not finding it necessary to support it with any detailed supporting arguments. Perhaps a brief read of Daniel Moynihan is in order.

And just to add to accuse me of knee jerk reaction is taking irony to new heights.

• Like 1
    Posted

So you wrote the article I didn't realize you had.  I've posted plenty of valid arguments in the past and so far event shave proven me correct. Unless you actually believe things have got actually better.

Funny a lot of people agree with my opinion. 

Anyway lets keep things simple. 

What is the name of the leader of the opposition that can form a stable Government.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, The PIT said:

So you wrote the article I didn't realize you had.  I've posted plenty of valid arguments in the past and so far event shave proven me correct. Unless you actually believe things have got actually better.

Funny a lot of people agree with my opinion. 

Anyway lets keep things simple. 

What is the name of the leader of the opposition that can form a stable Government

Your first comment is a silly supercilious remark as I I had made my position perfectly clear. If events have proven you correct you are the only person in the world who predicted how everything would evolve over the last fours years. And as a matter of interest what is your opinion? I do remember you opined that we shouldn't interfere near the beginning of this travesty when some more backbone from the west may have averted the genocide of hundreds of thousands, in particularly with indiscriminate barrel bombing.

So to keep it simple you ask a question that you know is impossible to answer. I could the same. But I do know we need to work with many Syrians willing to live in peace , and there are many of them, despite how weak and fractious they may appear. I feel that perhaps the only way is to let them take control using every lever we have, diplomatic, economic and maybe even military. I can't see an alternative for long term peace in the region.

One thing is for sure. a ruling coalition of Assad, Russia and the Iranian Ayatollahs wont work. It's ridiculous, and yes morally wrong, to think stability could last any length of time under this arrangement given the amount of Sunni blood that has been spilt in country where the majority are Sunni. This is why the trouble started in the first place. Years of Sunni repression and torture under the Baathist regime of the Assads.

Edited by knocker
    • Like 2
    Posted

Failed on the first question. Ahh well.  No I'm not the only person to predict the current situation as you well know. Again you haven't provided an alternative apart from the none plan of the west.

• Like 2
    Posted

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is #2 on TIME’s Person of the Year shortlist #TIMEPOY http://ti.me/1REfqFv 

How on Earth Baghdadi managed to get on TIME's shortlist NO 2?

Edited by pip22
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
    2 hours ago, pip22 said:

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is #2 on TIME’s Person of the Year shortlist #TIMEPOY http://ti.me/1REfqFv 

How on Earth Baghdadi managed to get on TIME's shortlist NO 2?

I heard about the shortlist, when driving yesterday. I thought the top three mentioned were pretty dangerous people, so maybe that's the connection? Let's hope al-Baghdadi is vaporised by this time next year, so has no chance of making future lists. :)

• Like 3
    Posted

Crazy a murder rapist nutter makes number 2.  Merkel number one. Well I suppose she does run the EU.

Posted

Has ISIS leader escaped to Libya? Sources claim Al-Baghdadi has fled to Gaddafi's hometown of Sirte after being treated in Turkey following air strike on his convoy

• Self-declared Caliph narrowly escaped Iraqi air strike on convoy in October
    • Taken to the Syrian stronghold Raqqa for life-saving surgery, claims report
    • He was smuggled into Turkey for further medical treatment, sources allege
    • Has now travelled to the Libyan city of Sirte amid fears net was closing in 

ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has reportedly fled to Libya after he narrowly escaped an airstrike in Iraq.

The self-declared Caliph is believed to have moved to the group's North African stronghold of Sirte, the hometown of late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, according to reports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3352494/Has-ISIS-leader-escaped-Libya-Sources-claim-Al-Baghdadi-fled-Gaddafi-s-hometown-Sirte.html