Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
    30 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Conservatives think the very real concern that half of Dave's rebel fighters could be jihadists is "nit-picking". What a disgrace.

It isn't nick picking it's a valid point. Whats it he point of slapping isis version of Islam to Al's version of Islam. None at all.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

Questioned credibility of PMs exaggerated claims on 70,000 ground troops. I've just returned from ME. It's not true.

Yasmin Qureshi claims there are probably around 10,000-15,000 moderates within the 70,000 ground troops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, our airmen and women are being packed-off to bomb people?? And to what end? So that Cameron can become the New Tony Blair, and wave his willy over the desert?

And all this is supposed to make Britain a safer place?:wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Ed Stone
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
    3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

So, our airmen and women are being packed-off to bomb people?? And to what end? So that Cameron can become the New Tony Blair, and wave his willy over the desert?

And all this is supposed to make Britain a safer place?:wallbash::wallbash:

Do we do nothing then Pete?These people only seem to understand one way of doing things,there's no talking to them it seems.

Would folks be protesting so much if the Paris murders had happened in one of our cities i wonder.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, phil nw. said:

Do we do nothing then Pete?These people only seem to understand one way of doing things,there's no talking to them it seems.

Would folks be protesting so much if the Paris murders had happened in one of our cities i wonder.

IMO, we either do nothing or do what NBLSB suggested: send in 100,000 NATO/Russian troops and annihilate Daesh once-and-for-all...?

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Erm, this did happen in one of 'my cities'. My wife / extended family and friends are French, with Paris being much 'closer to home' to me than say London. My wife's cousin lived just down the road from one of the attacks.

She doesn't support the UK government's motion and neither do I. She's also not impressed with Hollande who seems to be using this to try and prop up his own waning electoral support.

• Like 1
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

IMO, we either do nothing or do what NBLSB suggested: send in 100,000 NATO/Russian troops and annihilate Daesh once-and-for-all...?

Yes i would prefer a united attack on them but whether we will ever get that who knows,but sitting around twiddling our thumbs is copping out.

I' m against war and violence in principal as i am sure many on here  are.It's a right and humane stance to hold but there are times when we have to act.

Edited by phil nw.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
    11 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

There seems to be no coherent strategy being brought to the table here, the fact that Cameron's own foreign affairs committee disagree with him is a real concern to me.  It seems that Cameron is trying to act tough whilst a lot of the evidence suggest the current plan will be pretty impotent in dealing with ISIS, there is also the likelihood that the chances of a terrorist attack here will increase due to our rather woeful attempt to destroy them.

Edited by OPI Kenobi
    • Like 1
    Posted

I am not getting into political debates on this.My post was really to endorse action and i hope the vote is passed.

We have to leave the detail on how it's handled to the military.

I am aware many others feel differently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Makes a lot more sense than the current 'plan', but would that even work? The problem with these sorts of organisations is as soon as you stick loads of troops in they'll merge back into the general civilian population, only to re-appear when you've withdrawn the troops.

What you need is a strong government in the country, one which is able to keep the extremists in check. Sort of like how we've previously removed weak regimes (Iraq, Libya, Syria - attempted) in the Middle East and 'installed' strong democratic governments (Iraq, Afganistan)...ehm...wait a sec

The alternative is knee-capping the organisations by cutting off their supply of funding and weapons. We all pretty much know who supplies the former, but it's not politically expedient to annoy the Saudis. As for the latter, in many cases it's been us who've inadvertently supplied the weapons.

• Like 2
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Yes i would prefer a united attack on them but whether we will ever get that who knows,but sitting around twiddling our thumbs is copping out.

I' m against war and violence in principal as i am sure many on here  are.It's a right and humane stance to hold but there are times when we have to act.

If we don't destroy these bottom-orifices, many more innocent French, Germans and British people will be either shot or blown to pieces...IMO, Cameron's willy-waving will do nothing other than put UK citizens at risk?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Russia presents proof of Turkey’s role in ISIS oil trade

© syria.mil.ru

Turkey’s leadership, including President Erdogan and his family, is involved in illegal oil trade with Islamic State militants, says the Russian Defense Ministry, stressing that Turkey is the final destination for oil smuggled from Syria and Iraq.

https://www.rt.com/news/324263-russia-briefing-isis-funding/

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Thats a bit fine but pointless if we pack up and go home. Long term strategy is needed. Cameron misses a chance to become a proper leader.

Posted
    1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Makes a lot more sense than the current 'plan', but would that even work? The problem with these sorts of organisations is as soon as you stick loads of troops in they'll merge back into the general civilian population, only to re-appear when you've withdrawn the troops.

What you need is a strong government in the country, one which is able to keep the extremists in check. Sort of like how we've previously removed weak regimes (Iraq, Libya, Syria - attempted) in the Middle East and 'installed' strong democratic governments (Iraq, Afganistan)...ehm...wait a sec

Bingo I've been saying this for a long time.

Posted

The Game Just Changed: Russia Allies With Kurds to Push Turkey out of Syria.

http://russia-insider.com/en/game-just-changed-russia-aligns-kurdish-fighters-take-down-turkey/ri11549

Erdogan Says he Will Resign If Oil Purchases From ISIS Proven After Putin Says Has "More Proof" which he has.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-30/putin-says-has-more-proof-isis-oil-routed-through-turkey-after-erdogan-slams-claim

Edited by Snowyowl9
    Posted

so do we now bomb turkey as they are part of ISIS. Certainly should throw them out of Nato.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Our contribution is useless and we lack the capability to make any difference. It's symbolic but nothing more. Cameron wants to make the UK look like a major player - it's embarrassing. 

And with the Americans, Russians, French and potentially Brits all bombing in overcrowded airspace it won't be long before there's a serious accident. What happens if American and Russian planes start bombing each other? 

A total recipe for disaster and the people peddling and supporting this wae should be ashamed of themselves. Our leaders are collectively very stupid.

• Like 1
    Posted

True not many know that we don't have much left of an army so Cameron's saber rattling makes things look better this way.

Sadly our lack of power does mean we have to be a poodle and can't express our thoughts and guidance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
    3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

True not many know that we don't have much left of an army so Cameron's saber rattling makes things look better this way.

Sadly our lack of power does mean we have to be a poodle and can't express our thoughts and guidance.

No it doesn't. We voted against Syria strikes 2 years ago despite eagerness from Uncle Sam. What's changed now is we have a Tory majority.

Posted
    1 hour ago, cheese said:

No it doesn't. We voted against Syria strikes 2 years ago despite eagerness from Uncle Sam. What's changed now is we have a Tory majority.

No we had a terror attack in france. Without that Cameron wouldn't have a chance of getting the vote. People voting with emotion rather than using the grey matter.

• Like 1
    Posted

Are well yet another mistake by our Government and the chances of an terrorist attack has risen further. An open ended war with no solution being offered.

• Like 2
    Posted

Despite mounting evidence of ISIS oil smuggling, the US-led coalition in Syria and Iraq is not striking convoys of oil trucks heading to Turkey, Russia’s General Staff has said.

The US are helping turkey.

https://www.rt.com/news/324336-isis-oil-trade-us-coalition/

Posted

Shaun Walker ‏@shaunwalker7 3m3 minutes ago Putin: "Allah decided to punish the Turkish elite by relieving them of their sense and judgement... They will regret they ever did this".

Putin: Middle East in "chaos." "We know why. Certain countries wanted regime change." Wonder who he's hinting at?

Putin has choice words for Western acts in middle east. "They cooked up kasha, destroyed sovereignty, poisoned all sides, then washed hands"

Putin promises more consequences for Turkey's "war crime." Accuses it of supporting militants in Caucasus since 90s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.