Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

Very sad ground warfare is a certainty another brother will be on his way ,political pawn in a political war.Hopefully he come back in one peice not like his brother.

Edited by keithlucky
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted

Ok this is not the thread for that two, Glasgow was always the 2nd city of empire get over it as u can say same from last 100 to last 300 years 

What on earth has that got to do with the topic under discussion?

Or even my post for that matter.

Man, the self-styled 'North British' Broon was chancellor when Blair charged into Iraq. I clearly said 'Britain'.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Putin on the other hand :)

'Future of Assad is up to Syrian people, not outside forces' - Putin https://www.rt.com/on-air/ 

A bit rich that one!!

An outside force, Russia, is intent on bombing the majority of the Syrian people.........to prop up Assad and safeguard Russia's Mediterranean bases!!

All under the guise of fighting Isis.

Bonkers!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

A bit rich that one!!

An outside force, Russia, is intent on bombing the majority of the Syrian people.........to prop up Assad and safeguard Russia's Mediterranean bases!!

All under the guise of fighting Isis.

Bonkers!!

There's no guise as he has openly said he will attack all terrorists not just isis, the fact that he thinks of the moderates as terrorists might have something to do with the fact they are armed by america, to fight the leader of the country, assad. Which if it happened here would be considered a terrorist action. 

Posted

There's no guise as he has openly said he will attack all terrorists not just isis, the fact that he thinks of the moderates as terrorists might have something to do with the fact they are armed by america, to fight the leader of the country, assad. Which if it happened here would be considered a terrorist action. 

So the majority of the Syrian populaation are terrorists?

Or something to do with the fact that Assad was murdering and torturing civilians in order to cling on to power long before the uprising against him began?

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Fighting whom? the pro govenment, the against govenment, the terroists, or the other terroists fighting those terrorists,or the sunni majority or shia majority whatever it is, Assad good, Assad bad........the list is endless.....

The Arab states should 'sort' this out! Not the West.

Quite agree, that is not the point I was trying to make and I agree that the Middle East should sort out their own problems but it is a bit late for that now with many parts of the world being affected - we should not have divided up the Middle East at the end of WW1 as we did - our troops should not have been sent to the second Iraq war, nor to Afghanistan but our elected leaders in their wisdom sent them there - now it would need the wisdom of 10x more Solomon's + to sort this mess out and to find a way of reasoning with people who cannot be reasoned with  - the world would be a far better place if we did not have to have armies but it isn't - so being pragmatic it means that our forces are better equipped to fight and defend our nation through having experience of real battle conditions - it's the way of the world, has always been so and I can't see any end to it. It's a sad fact of life.

With hindsight man's progress, or lack of it sometimes, is littered with glaring errors and mistakes leaving it to subsequent generations to pick up the pieces and we never really seem to be able to learn from history or past experiences as we should, so the world remains dangerous for many people - that's why we need our armed forces etc to defend us and the better they are the more confidence we can have in their ability to do their job.

Posted

Or something to do with the fact that Assad was murdering and torturing civilians in order to cling on to power long before the uprising against him began?

How many years were their living under Assad regime? Only uprised because west backed it as suited their politcal means.. i.e pipeline.. Assad said no.. So he must be cleared...  IT ok Kiwi you dont have them invading your land by that i mean the "refugees" 

Edited by lfcdude
    Posted

Quite agree, that is not the point I was trying to make and I agree that the Middle East should sort out their own problems but it is a bit late for that now with many parts of the world being affected - we should not have divided up the Middle East at the end of WW1 as we did - our troops should not have been sent to the second Iraq war, nor to Afghanistan but our elected leaders in their wisdom sent them there - now it would need the wisdom of 10x more Solomon's + to sort this mess out and to find a way of reasoning with people who cannot be reasoned with  - the world would be a far better place if we did not have to have armies but it isn't - so being pragmatic it means that our forces are better equipped to fight and defend our nation through having experience of real battle conditions - it's the way of the world, has always been so and I can't see any end to it. It's a sad fact of life.

With hindsight man's progress, or lack of it sometimes, is littered with glaring errors and mistakes leaving it to subsequent generations to pick up the pieces and we never really seem to be able to learn from history or past experiences as we should, so the world remains dangerous for many people - that's why we need our armed forces etc to defend us and the better they are the more confidence we can have in their ability to do their job.

Mans progress mike.. Is only as good as ones man leader? French Syria i can see why their attack the french it makes Isis look big.. but if EU had boarders took what the UK is doing.. Well checked well screened Syrians their would be no crises in the EU no migrant crises, Plus these people might actually fight for their land against ISIS not use this to make their economic gain 

Posted

I didn't say that and neither did putin, that is where the propaganda is. The majority are normal people who are not isis or rebel fighters. Those people do exist you know. If it was happening here I'd not be fighting either way just trying to live my life and hoping I don't run into an isis area, or one doesn't come to me. That's what the majority are doing, including running far away to Europe. 

Call me cynical...what's that I hear...anyway, good timing for the Government to announce that tax credits are not being slashed (if that is the correct phrase). And now the papers can concentrate on softening the public's view into bombing Syria. Can you imagine the public outrage headlined in the media aimed our beloved Government on spending a fortune on bombing Syria, whilst families in the UK suffer severe cutbacks....na I couldn't ever!  

I wonder how you prevent radicalising members of religious groups if you kill their innocence kin? 

Mr Cameron do you know who you will bombing in Syria or are you supporting an American "agenda"? World politics...ha ha ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Alex Salmond decides to unveil a portrait of himself rather than participate in the Syria debate...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/alex-salmond-forgoes-syria-debate-to-unveil-portrait-of-himself-1-3959574

Imagine the outcry from the SNP if a UK party leader did that?

Posted

Alex Salmond decides to unveil a portrait of himself rather than participate in the Syria debate...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/alex-salmond-forgoes-syria-debate-to-unveil-portrait-of-himself-1-3959574

He was in the Scottish Parliament taking part in First Ministers Questions today, he is an MSP as well as an MP.

[edit]MSP and MP right way round, doh!

[edit again]

I decided to visit the link Nick posted:

Despite being the SNP’s Foreign Affairs spokesman, Mr Salmond was absent from Westminster and instead attended First Minister’s Questions (FMQs) at Holyrood.
    Edited by skifreak
    • Like 1
    Posted

Ugh... quotes break editor thing again! Is it just me or is this an OS X and any browser issue with IPB?

Anyway, I suspect the quote from the Scotsman tells us rather more about the Scotsman newspaper than Nick will ever realise. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still haven't smelt the coffee.

Reality is there are several terrorist group fighting Assad. Most are either aligned with ISIS or ALQ and the moment we are presenting the ALQ backed as moderates that makes it easier for people like you to back the idea of creating a power vacuum.

Moral crusades don't provide solutions they just make regions more unstable and kill more in the long run.

What Syriaa needs is a stable Government. Only one solution is on the table presented by Russia. 

West is all over the place stuck in the cold war past and cuddling up to it's buddy the Saudi's who back ISIS.

Until the West sorts itself out many more will die.

• Like 3
    Posted

Still haven't smelt the coffee.

Reality is there are several terrorist group fighting Assad. Most are either aligned with ISIS or ALQ and the moment we are presenting the ALQ backed as moderates that makes it easier for people like you to back the idea of creating a power vacuum.

You always seem to be the only one who seems to know the reality in the Middle East. Very strange that. But back to the reality. Can you actually support that with some facts for a change rather than using opinion as fact. Yes there are groups affiliated to ALQ but I very much doubt they are in the majority. Not according to Hassan Hassan, a Syrian analyst who co-authored the book, ISIS: inside the army of terror, anyway. He thinks the only way to a long term solution is by using the Free Syrian Army and excluding the mass murderer Assad. A man who has actually been supporting IS from the beginning to help him fight the Sunni rebels..

Edited by knocker
    Posted

It would be quite scandalous I imagine. Although if say Corybn had not attended, it would be English Tory voters etc shouting scandal, with the SNP looking on bemused.

Of course Salmond not being present isn't a scandal as he isn't a party leader.

Party leaders are supposed to attend PM statements. That's why Angus Robertson, SNP leader in the HoC and defence spokesman was there.

Salmond, being a member of the Privy Council (as FM then former FM of Scotland), had already been fully briefed in detail on Camerons case for war.

This allowed him to attend to his duties as an MSP in Holyrood; which is where he was during Cameron's statement (First Minister's Questions was on at the same time).

Later in the day, Salmond attended the portrait event which was organised a long time ago; the portrait generating £50k for a children's cancer charity. He then went back to the Holyrood chamber before going to host another charity event for war veterans / memorials.

But you knew this right as we already discussed it.

---

Note that the Scotsman newspaper is better described as the NorthBritishman. Kind of like the Telegraph in a jimmy hat. Also will likely be gone in a few years due to free-falling sales as a result of publishing crap about the SNP / Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-34867820

Anyway, I'm surprised at how my simple mention of Salmond saying 'Everyone and their auntie is bombing Syria' - which I felt described the situation very well - has led to all these irrelevant Salmond / Scotland related comments.

So, back on topic....

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

I found this facebook post really helpful in clarifying the situation.

lol so confusing, so much going on, looks like something anyone with any brains would stay as far away from as possible. 

• Like 1
    Posted

It's Friday. Not ISIS, but Saudi Arabia has started beheading 50 people in public squares after prayers. Stop it.

But these are the good guys. :nonono: :nonono:

Okay moral crusade head on. Bomb them to bits they're nasty people.

One reason why we should loosen our ties with the country.

• Like 5
    Posted

Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-25/meet-man-who-funds-isis-bilal-erdogan-son-turkeys-president

NATO Attack On Russian Air Forces: Reasons and Consequences.

http://journal-neo.org/2015/11/26/nato-attack-on-russian-air-forces-reasons-and-consequences/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'd love the States to tell Erdogan that he'll be on his own, if he persists with his sabre rattling.

He's like the unpleasant playground pipsqueak, with tough mates.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But these are the good guys. :nonono: :nonono:

Okay moral crusade head on. Bomb them to bits they're nasty people.

One reason why we should loosen our ties with the country.

Every day when I turn on the News, we seem to be 'at war' with somebody else, somebody that, until yesterday, was our friend?? :cc_confused:

Posted

I'd love the States to tell Erdogan that he'll be on his own, if he persists with his sabre rattling.

He's like the unpleasant playground pipsqueak, with tough mates.

No chance of that.

Nato (and Allies) see Turkey as a 'block' between 'East' and 'West' - it's geographical position is too 'strategic' for Nato to ditch.

Posted

Every day when I turn on the News, we seem to be 'at war' with somebody else, somebody that, until yesterday, was our friend?? :cc_confused:

Saudi's have always been dodgy but sell us oil and buy loads of weapons so they are our buddies so their nasty habits don't reported by our press.