Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Russia Security Update: November 18-25, 2015

The expansion of Russian military activity in the region underscores Russia’s primary grand strategic objective, to assert itself as a great power rival to the U.S. and a direct rival to NATO. Russia’s escalation, which increased sharply after the ISIS attacks in Paris on November 13, accelerated further with the transit of long-range strategic bombers around Western Europe’s coast and the launch of cruise missiles from the Caspian Sea on November 20. This escalation signaled Russia’s intent to challenge Western states while it claims to conduct counter-terrorism operations. The U.K. scrambled jets as Russian long-range bombers passed near its airspace and has reportedly been conducting joint search operations with Canada and France for a Russian submarine, though it is unclear that the submarine is destined for Syria. Russian long-range bombers and cruise missiles from the Caspian disrupted air traffic in Iraq, including U.S.-led anti-ISIS coalition flights out of Iraqi Kurdistan. Russia also disrupted air traffic into and out of Lebanon over the Mediterranean. - See more at: http://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russia-security-update-november-18-25-2015#sthash.PghWnlKZ.dpuf

Edited by knocker
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Shame he really doesn't care about Syria then because he was to busy to attend the Syrian debate today in parliament, 

So what you are saying is England doesn't give a crap about Scotland then?

It's just that the HoC was effectively empty during the Scotland Bill debates. MPs only turned up to vote Scotland down, spending the rest of the time in the bar.

The UK should end immediately by your argument.

---

And note Angus Robertson is the leader of the SNP in Westminster and also its defence spokesman. He was of course present and fielding SNP questions. 

Also, as a member of the privy council, Salmond knew everything Cameron was going to say, having been fully briefed beforehand. Likewise, as he is neither leader nor defence spokesman, he shouldn't be asking questions; Robertson should.

That allowed him to be in the Holyrood Parliament where he was attending to his duties as an MSP, including voting. That's where he was during David Cameron's statement which he, as noted, had already read anyway.

You should really learn about this stuff before posting.

EDIT

Oh, I see you've linked to the Guido site.

You really need to read Scottish news before posting about Scottish politics / politicians. The equivalent for Guido in Scotland is WingsoverScotland. Guido is useless for anything north of the tweed as it's an English site.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Guido is useless for anything north of the tweed as it's an English site.

An English site??....Guido (Paul Staines) is based in Ireland ?!....and the blog is published by a company based in St Kitts and Nevis!!

Almost as complicated as the international shenanigans between Syria/IS/Turkey/Russia/Saudi/Iraq/Iran/US/France/UK.......etc etc !  :D

• Like 1

I don't think a Russian pilot will understand English well.

I believe a lot of Russian kids are taught English at school - it certainly appears that way when TV interviewers interview people on the streets in Russia.

• Like 1

You really need to read Scottish news before posting about Scottish politics / politicians. The equivalent for Guido in Scotland is WingsoverScotland. Guido is useless for anything north of the tweed as it's an English site.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-skips-syria-debate-6905120

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/alex-salmond-unveils-portrait-of-himself-at-the-scottish-national-gallery-while-parliament-debates-a6749806.html

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/1333792-alex-salmond-painting-on-show-at-scottish-national-portrait-gallery/

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14105859.Alex_Salmond_misses_David_Cameron_s_case_for_air_strikes_in_Syria_as_he_unveils_portrait_of_himself/

This from the Heraldscotland you know the pro indy paper

ALEX Salmond stayed away from Westminster as the Prime Minister set out the case for bombing Syria â€“ in order to unveil a portrait of himself.

The SNP’s foreign affairs spokesman was at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh as MPs quizzed David Cameron.

He unveiled a new likeness painted by one of his favourite artists, Gerard Burns, one of whose works decorated his study when he was first minister.

The portrait was one of 14 pictures by Mr Burns marking the Commonwealth Games. It was acquired by supporters of Mr Salmond and went on show at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery this week.

That better? Do you approve of them media outlets? r is the harald now suddenly pro union... Being the SNP foreign affairs spokesman in westminster he should of been their 

I wonder whether Erdogan has visons or dreams of the renaissance of the Ottoman Empire.

He has dreams of a a family dictatorship dynasty 

Edited by lfcdude
  • Like 1

This from the Heraldscotland you know the pro indy paper

No, that's a pro-union Labour paper (you are mistaking it for the Sunday Herald). As is the Daily Record. Also STV is pro-union.

The independent is pro-union English paper.

As I said, you need to learn about Scottish politics. First rule is, all the papers lie to you.

Although if you read in the articles, you should discover that bits of the truth are hidden there.

Alex Salmond is not supposed to ask defence questions  - that is Robertson's job. Salmond already had been fully briefed on Cameron's statement as Salmond is a member of the privy council. Salmond was not even unveiling a portrait during Cameron's speech; he was in Holyrood acting as an MSP; the visit to the gallery was a later appointment.

As I said. Check your facts. You don't even seem to have read the links you posted.

STV may be pro-union, but it's less rabidly so than the Record and the Herald.

A spokesman for the SNP said: "When its a Prime Ministers statement, it is the group leaders that respond.

"And Alex Salmond is attending First Ministers Questions, he is currently in the chamber at Holyrood. 

"Later on [he is at the National Portrait Gallery]. He is voting in the Scottish parliament today. 

"He is still an MSP as well as an MP, and fulfilling both duties."

I'm sure it would have been a fine use of taxpayers money for Salmond to miss a vote in Holyrood which his constituents expect him to vote on, to fly to London to listen to a speech he's already read in full as a member of the privy council, while not being able to ask questions on said speech as he's not supposed to (he would give these too / agree them with Robertson who would ask them).

The more important parliament in Scotland is Holyrood. Westminster is secondary; it's like the EU parliament is for Britain. The electorate would be unhappy if Salmond put Westminster first for no reason (above) when he is still an MSP.

As I said check your facts. If you know Scottish politics, then you know not to rely on the Record and the Herald. Jeez, the Record was the one to give the fabricated 'Vow'.

--

Oh, and I don't recall seeing Carswell in the chamber for the Scotland bill debates. Was he there for these in full? If not, UKIP clearly don't care about the UK nor Scotland.
Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Lets keep Scottish politics out of this there's a separate thread for that.

Poor speech by Cameroon today lessons of LIbya, Afghanistan, Iraq not learn't and we're going to end up with another power vacuum and more terrorist groups. No strategy  no plan for getting a stable government.

• Like 3

IN THE NAME OF THE GODDESS: ISIS and the THUGS of IRAQ What does the word ISIS mean to you? -

The band of thugs who disgrace the name of ISIS are the long term result of multi-century, multi-ethnic trauma. These are traumatized psychopaths who have lost homes and families, resulting in deeply wounded individuals who hunger for power and glory in violence. They are regressing to an earlier stage of savagery with a childlike understanding of spirituality—not dissimilar to the witch burnings of the Middle Ages -
They are the shadow children of tyranny and empire, the antithesis of everything that the Goddess ISIS stood for: peace and longevity, feminine and masculine balance, cyclic rounds of nature.Yes, they need to be stopped, but unless we address the root causes of trauma and warfare, ever more desperate groups (using weapons likely manufactured by the U.S.) - See more at: http://sacredcenters.com/in-the-name-of-the-goddess-isis-and-the-thugs-of-iraq/#sthash.ebQQUJ1t.dpuf
Interesting why the word daesh has come,so we`ll call them that.

Fast forward the better part of five millennia, and it has taken just three years for a loose assortment of low-life scumbags to co-opt that name of compassion, magic and power. For whatever reasons, a group with many names - including, in Arabic, ad-Dawlah al-IslÄmiyah fÄ« 'l-Ê¿IrÄq wa-sh-ShÄm; in English Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), and Islamic State (IS) - has become more popularly referred to simply as 'ISIS' (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria), largely through mass media repetition and then reinforcement through discussions on social media.
Perhaps it is the fact that people already know the word Isis - it is in their subconscious already, so it's easier to connect meanings to it. Unfortunately, the word Isis within your subconscious has power associated with it, both through its ancient heritage and by the nature of the goddess herself. By connecting it to these weak losers, you gift them some of that power through the name alone. So what I'd like to ask you to do, is to stop using it.
There are a lot of powerful people with the name of Isis. My daughter is one of those. But their power comes from being compassionate, intelligent, beautiful, and magical. The group that has been co-opting the name are party to none of those attributes, and it is those attributes which give true power. So stop calling them by the name Isis.
Unfortunately, women named Isis, no matter what their personal attributes, now have to put up with associations with this group - despite having had the name much longer, and doing many good things in that name. For instance, this week software engineer Isis Anchalee had her Facebook account shut down, apparently because the mega-tech corporation assumed a connection with terrorism based on her name.
Perhaps even more frustratingly, Isis also had to respond to the morons of the internet after they chimed in with what they thought was the obvious answer:
A far better answer is to stop using the word Isis in relation to the murderous group currently wreaking havoc in Syria and Iraq. But what to call them, you might ask? As mentioned above, they have been referred to under several other names: Barack Obama has been referring to them as ISIL, many others (including myself) simply as Islamic State. But those names suffer from the same problem - it associates this group with statehood, in a way legitimising it, and it also associates it with Islam, and I'm sure most Muslims feel the same way about linking them with that word as I do with Isis.
So here's the solution. It's one that has already become official in many quarters: call them Daesh (or Da'ish). The word - originally coined by Syrian activists, but now in official usage in France, Australia, and by others such as John Kerry - is an acronym that accurately reflects the group's chosen name, 'ad-Dawlah al-IslÄmiyah fÄ« 'l-Ê¿IrÄq wa-sh-ShÄm'. But Daesh are apparently furious about it, with reports that they have threatened to cut out the tongues of anyone who uses it. Why, if it is an accurate acronym? Here's your answer, summarised well by Arabic translator Alice Guthrie:

Edited by Snowyowl9

Two years ago the Conservatives and the media wanted the UK to bomb Assad, now they want to bomb Isis, does that mean our Government is now supporting Assad and has it changed its opinion of Assad in just two years? So was not bombing Assad two years ago the correct decision and are the Government making the correct decision now in wanting to bomb Isis, because where are Isis? Does Isis fight, adhoc with Syrian rebels or Assad's army or local militia or possibly Kurdish Freedom fighters, maybe a combination of two or three?

I personally would never vote for any party that supports bombing Syria in the hope that they kill some Isis. Civil war is raging in Syria let them sort out their problems first so we determine what to do next and not go in gun ho and leave a vacuum behind. Just heard on radio 4 that 30,000 bombs have been dropped on Syria in the fight against the enemy....which ever your perspective I suppose they did not say. Anyway in the end the UK Government might want to bomb Assad again, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat!

• Like 2

Two years ago the Conservatives and the media wanted the UK to bomb Assad, now they want to bomb Isis, does that mean our Government is now supporting Assad and has it changed its opinion of Assad in just two years? So was not bombing Assad two years ago the correct decision and are the Government making the correct decision now in wanting to bomb Isis, because where are Isis? Does Isis fight, adhoc with Syrian rebels or Assad's army or local militia or possibly Kurdish Freedom fighters, maybe a combination of two or three?

I personally would never vote for any party that supports bombing Syria in the hope that they kill some Isis. Civil war is raging in Syria let them sort out their problems first so we determine what to do next and not go in gun ho and leave a vacuum behind. Just heard on radio 4 that 30,000 bombs have been dropped on Syria in the fight against the enemy....which ever your perspective I suppose they did not say. Anyway in the end the UK Government might want to bomb Assad again, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat!

No if you read the indepenat article he wants to do both, bomb isis and depose assad, which is why I'm still against it. Besides the problem is already here, we should be tackling this domestically, first and foremost. 

The Associated Press â€@AP  2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Hollande says after talks with Putin that Assad has no place in Syria's future.

Putin on the other hand :)

'Future of Assad is up to Syrian people, not outside forces' - Putin https://www.rt.com/on-air/ 

BREAKING: #Putin says never entered our heads that Russian jet could be hit by a country we considered our ally

Edited by lfcdude

I just realised why Dave needs this war.

If Britain stopped bombing, it wouldn't be at war with someone, somewhere.

That would break over a century of Britain waging war in the world.

From last year:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/11/british-forces-century-warfare-end

British forces' century of unbroken warfare set to end with Afghanistan exit

War-weariness among the public and wariness among politicians mean next year [2015] could be the first since at least 1914 that British soldiers, sailors and air crews are not engaged in fighting. 

#War is peace

Two years ago the Conservatives and the media wanted the UK to bomb Assad, now they want to bomb Isis,

Think of Assad as Eurasia and ISIS as Eastasia.

Anyway, when you've been fighting wars for over a century, particularly in other people's countries, you tend to ratchet up a good few enemies.

Edited by scottish skier

I just realised why Dave needs this war.

If Britain stopped bombing, it wouldn't be at war with someone, somewhere.

That would break over a century of Britain waging war in the world.

From last year:

#War is peace

Think of Assad as Eurasia and ISIS as Eastasia.

Anyway, when you've been fighting wars for over a century, particularly in other people's countries, you tend to ratchet up a good few enemies.

Helps the army though to hone their skills when they are fighting for real, no substitute for experiencing the real thing, unfortunately not all them make it home.

• Like 1

Helps the army though to hone their skills when they are fighting for real, no substitute for experiencing the real thing, unfortunately not all them make it home.

Indeed its the very one thing that makes the Chinese army very week no battle experience and the one thing that will make the Syrian army when their win, a battle hardend and very good force 

I think you kinda missed my point mike.

The vast majority of countries haven't been continuously at war for over a century.

Given the last time bombs fell from the sky on Britain was what 1945, how have we managed another 70 years of continuously being at war?

For, erm, practice?

Certainly Britain is well practised in war. 

Edited by scottish skier

Fighting whom? the pro govenment, the against govenment, the terroists, or the other terroists fighting those terrorists,or the sunni majority or shia majority whatever it is, Assad good, Assad bad........the list is endless.....

The Arab states should 'sort' this out! Not the West.

• Like 1

I think you kinda missed my point mike.

The vast majority of countries haven't been continuously at war for over a century.

Given the last time bombs fell from the sky on Britain was what 1945, how have we managed another 70 years of continuously being at war?

For, erm, practice?

Certainly Britain is well practised in war. 

Ok this is not the thread for that two, Glasgow was always the 2nd city of empire get over it as u can say same from last 100 to last 300 years 

A quote from American President Woodrow Wilson, "Every line of strength in American history is a line colored with Scottish blood." 

More than 100 governors of pre- and post- Revolutionary America were of Scottish birth or descent. 

Others from Scotland or of Scots descent in American history: 

35 U.S. Supreme Court Justices, 25 of them are in the Great Americans Hall of Fame. 

Almost 1/2 of the Secretaries of U.S. Treasury and 1/3 of the Secretaries of State were Scots. 

9 of the signatures on the Declaration of Independence were from Scots descent. 

9 of the 13 colony governors made in the new USA were Scots. 

James Pollock, of Scots descent, put the slogan "In God We Trust" on American coins! 

61% of American Presidents are of Scots or Scots-Irish descent. 

A Scot, James Watt, developed the first efficient steam engine and in so doing started the Industrial Revolution. 

A Scot, John Logie Baird, invented the Television. 

A Scot, John Napier, invented logarithms and the decimal notation. 

A Scot, Kirkpatrick Macmillan, invented the bicycle. 

A Scot, John Paul Jones, founded the American Navy. 

A Scot, Alexander Fleming, discovered Penicillin. 

A Scot, William Paterson, founded the Bank of England. 

A Scot, Alexander Graham Bell, invented the telephone. 

A Scot, John Chalmers, invented the adhesive postage stamp. 

A Scot, John Boyd Dunlop, invented the car tyre. 

A Scot, Captain Patrick Ferguson, invented the breech loading rifle. 

A Scot, Major General Lachlan Macquarie, know as the 'Father of Australia', 

A Scot, Sir John Alexander Macdonald, was the first Prime Minister of Canada under confederation. 

A Scot, Thomas Blake Glover, was one of the founding fathers of modern Japan. 

A Scot, Henry Faulds pioneered the use of fingerprints as means of undisputed identity of people. 

A Scot, Robert Stirling, invented the Stirling engine in 1850. Stirling engines are being studied at NASA for use in powering space vehicles with solar energy! 

The Scots invented Golf. 

“History credits the Rev. Elijah Craig, a Baptist minister, with being the first in 1789 to make bourbon.†He was a Scotsman. Kentucky is the place for bourbon because of the limestone which makes the water almost iron-free. “The first bourbon recognized by brand outside of Kentucky probably was produced by Dr. James Crow...a Scotsman who settled near the Rev. Craig’s place.†He was known by the locals as Jim Crow. 

The Scottish-American Hall of Fame contains more plaques for the military than any other category. Twenty-one men are installed including Daniel Boone who is listed as an “Indian Fighter.†The list is as follows: George Rogers Clark, Frontier hero of the Revolutionary War; Stonewall Jackson; Joseph E. Johnston; Henry Knox; Arthur MacArthur, army general, father of Douglas MacArthur; George B. McClellan; Alexander Macomb, general and hero of the War of 1812; William (Billy) Mitchell, controversial air power advocate; William Multrie; George S. Patton, WWII exponent of mobile warfare; Winfred Scott, Mexican War and Chief of staff; J.E.B. Stuart, Confederate cavalry general; Christopher “Kit†Carson, frontiersman and explorer; William Clark, explorer with Merriwether Lewis; Davy Crockett, frontiers-man who died at the Alamo. Two individuals are listed under the category of “Naval.†They are David Glasgow Farragut, Civil War naval hero, and John Paul Jones, Revolutionary War naval hero. 

Famous Quote: "If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia, plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, rally around the Scotch-Irish of that region and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to British tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger." George Washington, Valley Forge. 

Scottish Freemasonry is now officially recognised as being the oldest in the world and is now recorded as a Guinness World Record. 

Scot invented suspenders. 

Although the Scots comprise less than one-half of 1 percent of the world’s population, 11 percent of all Nobel prizes have been awarded to Scotsmen. Quote from "The Mark of the Scots" by Duncan A Bruce. 

The world’s first university faculty of engineering and technical science was in Glasgow. 

67 US Politicians were born in Scotland that we know off. 

There are estimated to be 20,000 Americans living in Scotland and half a million visit each year. 

It is estimated that 15% of Canadians are of Scots descent. 

Scotland invent 

The pedal bicycle was invented by a Scotsman as stated above and this is confirmed on the BBC/History website if anyone wants to look it up under the inventors name.

Scotland England Wales Ireland shaped the world don't try to wash it as UK wars.. Scotland was very much involved in a lot of wars in fact it was Scottish that claimed  and led a lot a lot of land for the relm  under the UK flag 

Edited by lfcdude
  • Like 2