Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted

Putin: "The loss we suffered today came from a stab in the back delivered by accomplices of the terrorists"

This won't end well

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Bad call by Turkey in my view - this will hardly do anything to help what appeared to be an early germination of improved relations with Russia.

Posted

Seems like all the 'big' nations are trigger-happy at the mo.

Could go BOOM in very near future.

Edited by Bristle boy
    • Like 1
    Posted

What a stupid thing for Turkey to do, the more this goes on the more I actually think Putin is right. I actually think we in the west are now bombing and supporting both sides - complete and utter madness.

• Like 1
    Posted

I think the world war 3 thread, should be re-opened. It's not as if non of us saw this coming :-(

Posted

I think the world war 3 thread, should be re-opened. It's not as if non of us saw this coming :-(

I think there may be some repacutions  but ww3  i think is a long way off  cyclo,   But  the world does seem intent on destroying itself  :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Syrian rebels BLEW UP Russian rescue helicopter after forcing it to land with missile shot

SHOCKING video footage has emerged apparently showing the moment Syrian rebels BLEW UP a Russian rescue helicopter searching for the pilots of a warplane downed by Turkey.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/621677/Reports-Russian-helicopter-shot-down-while-searching-downed-jets

They terrorists defo.

Edited by pip22
    • Like 1
    Posted

Syrian rebels BLEW UP Russian rescue helicopter after forcing it to land with missile shot

SHOCKING video footage has emerged apparently showing the moment Syrian rebels BLEW UP a Russian rescue helicopter searching for the pilots of a warplane downed by Turkey.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/621677/Reports-Russian-helicopter-shot-down-while-searching-downed-jets

They terrorists defo.

Maybe now we can finally stop calling the Free Syrian Army moderates.

Edited by Snowy L
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We are already in ww3 but it's a different type of warfare.

Turkey is in an even more confused state than the US. It wants Assad out, ISIS out, Kurds out and probably a few others we haven't heard off. Amazing how many countries have got into a mess with their self interests.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

We are already in ww3 but it's a different type of warfare.

Turkey is in an even more confused state than the US. It wants Assad out, ISIS out, Kurds out and probably a few others we haven't heard off. Amazing how many countries have got into a mess with their self interests.

Probably the war of Armageddon prophesied in the bible - it's happening within the right area but who knows? As far as I can see it is all a right mix up - too many people wearing blinkers looking at it all with their own vested interests - it needs to be simplified to what is best for humanity as a whole.

Posted

Putin: "The loss we suffered today came from a stab in the back delivered by accomplices of the terrorists"

This won't end well

Not often I agree with Putin but Turkey are part of the problem not the solution. They are busy bombing the Kurds who are actually fighting IS and being cynical they're only too happy to let IS spill over the border. Why on earth they're in NATO is beyond me. Erdogan is a crook and Turkey is fast moving towards a dictatorship, I expect there will be a lot of civil unrest in the coming years as the government continues to restrict democratic rights. This could get complicated in terms of NATO but I suspect Turkey has ulterior motives behind the downing of the Russian jet.

• Like 1
    Posted

They terrorists defo.

Are we on their side?

Assad is worse than that??

I am defo going to join the Russians on this one. 

• Like 2
    Posted

Anyway, Dave seems really keen to get in there and join the fun.

Oh, sorry, I meant Dave seems really keen to send our boys in at no physical risk to himself.

I can't see this ending well.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

BREAKINGRussian solider killed in rescue mission - military

Posted at18:16

A Russian soldier has been killed in the search for the pilots of the downed jet in Syria, the Russian military says. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Are we on their side?

1. Sadly yes. They focus killing people outside of Syria.

2. Just as worse. They focus killing people inside of Syria.

I'm not going to choose sides on this. Both the West and Russia are as bad as each other I believe.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

Are we on their side?

Assad is a war criminal and the west didn't bother supporting the original moderate Syrian rebels 4 years ago. They then thought it was a good idea to bomb Assad two years ago which would have seen IS and the other psychopaths have total free reign. Very few people give Ed Miliband credit for much but the government defeat at that time saved an even worse outcome. Sadly now there are so many factions fighting in Syria that its hard to keep track of. The dreadful situation now leaves no choice but to back Assad by wiping out IS. Certainly the Christians in Damascus have no choice but to support Assad because if he falls they'll get butchered in the streets. I don't think theres ever been such a complicated war as what we're seeing in Syria.

• Like 1
    Posted
    charlottechelsom 11 minutes ago

BREAKING: The Russian Defence Ministry has suspended military contact with Turkey over the downing of the jet, Russian news agencies are reporting.

A Russian warship will be deployed to waters off Syria's western Latakia province. 

Posted

Update: BREAKING: Russia deploys missile cruiser off Syria coast, ordered to destroy any target posing danger http://on.rt.com/6xhd

Posted

charlottechelsom

11 minutes ago

BREAKING: The Russian Defence Ministry has suspended military contact with Turkey over the downing of the jet, Russian news agencies are reporting.

A Russian warship will be deployed to waters off Syria's western Latakia province. 

mmmm     more posturing  or a statement of intent?

Posted

Assad is a war criminal and the west didn't bother supporting the original moderate Syrian rebels 4 years ago. They then thought it was a good idea to bomb Assad two years ago which would have seen IS and the other psychopaths have total free reign. Very few people give Ed Miliband credit for much but the government defeat at that time saved an even worse outcome. Sadly now there are so many factions fighting in Syria that its hard to keep track of. The dreadful situation now leaves no choice but to back Assad by wiping out IS. Certainly the Christians in Damascus have no choice but to support Assad because if he falls they'll get butchered in the streets. I don't think theres ever been such a complicated war as what we're seeing in Syria.

I agree that we have no choice but to back Assad, not because he is good but because his removal would be even worse.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not a fan of heatstroke.

Surely Assad is similar to Saddam?  We know he's a nasty bit of work, but he kept a country with massive ethnic and sectarian divisions togther by dint of the fact that they're all terrified of him.  Sad position to be in, but better than allowing full sctarian war/the emergence of yet another extremist Caliphate supplying terrorists to commit atrocities in the West.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It's a disgrace that a country like Turkey is in NATO, with their human rights record and Cyprus etc.

They've only behaved like the hotheads that they are, precisely because of the NATO backing.

The Cold War created some really uncomfortable bedfellows. :(

Posted

In a letter to the UN, Turkey said the two SU-24 planes disregarded warnings and violated Turkish airspace "to a depth of 1.36 miles and 1.15 miles in length for 17 seconds".

i thought turkey warned them 10 times   that once every 1.7 seconds

• Like 1