Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

The Middle East...where Are Events Taking Us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I personal believe no one should have delivered any weapons in the region at all, it just made things worse.

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no other description for what is happening other than war crime and genocide.   Israel is technically the occupying force on Gaza and as such is duty bound to protect civilians.   Complet

The scenes in Gaza look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, utter devastation. The Israelis telling people to go back to their homes in northern Gaza as its "safe", what are they supposed to go back

Reported on the BBC too... An air strike on an army camp has killed three soldiers, the Syrian government says, blaming the US-led coalition for the attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Upping the ante?

Whatever the rights or wrongs of this conflict and whichever way they try to dress it up, a terrorist is a terrorist moderate or otherwise.  Surely this will only add fat to the fire?

These weapons are only a danger to ground operations apparently and cannot harm aircraft pilots.   One wonders if this is only the start of such deliveries?  

http://globalriskinsights.com/2015/10/obama-ups-the-ante-in-syria-with-tow-missiles/

Stupid this is the cold war all over again. A chance to take on the evil russia once again. Expect the anti Russian propaganda to romp up quickly.

• Like 2
    Posted

Obama's vacillating over the Middle East is coming back to bite him on the bum once again.

Late last month, Iraq signed an intelligence-sharing agreement with Russia which infuriated the Americans. Days later Russia’s generals established an operations room with America’s two regional foes, Iran and Syria, inside Baghdad’s Green Zone, which houses America’s embassy. Then Russia fired missiles from the Caspian Sea through Iraqi airspace en route to Syria. Haider al-Abadi, the Iraqi prime minister has appealed to Russia to expand its air campaign from Syria to include IS targets in Iraq. His forces also proudly show off their Russian tanks. Some officials even talk of giving the Russians an airbase. “We want a full-blown military alliance,†says a senior security official.

America has reacted with consternation to the notion that, after it has expended hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of lives, Russia might regain the hold on Iraq it last exercised at the height of the cold war. Until now Mr Abadi, the prime minister America shoehorned into place last year, has been dutiful. Iranian military overflights destined for Syria have dwindled from 20 a day to a handful, says a Western diplomat in Baghdad. But his threat to reach out to the Russians, coupled with his failure to do anything significant to implement a promised anti-corruption drive, has prompted some Western powers to start looking for alternative leaders.

Tricky for Obama to argue about this as Abadi was their choice and it's governments corruption and abuse of the Sunnis which has caused some of sectarian strife. Chickens and roost comes to mind as Putin slides in to fill the void.

Edited by knocker
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3280657/The-moments-former-BBC-journalist-hanged-revealed-CCTV-footage-Turkish-airport-died.html

The last moments of former BBC journalist before she was found hanged are revealed in CCTV footage from within the Turkish airport where she died
    • CCTV footage shows Jacky Sutton's moments before she was found dead
    • 50-year-old had travelled from London Heathrow to Istanbul Airport, Turkey
    • But she is failed to make it on to her next flight to Erbil in Iraq
    • She appeared distressed after being told to buy new ticket, local media say 
    • United Nations colleague: 'Very difficult to believe she committed suicide' 
    Posted

Civilians begin to flee Lashkar Gah as the Taliban seize Babaji and there is heavy fighting in Nad-e Ali

A former British stronghold in Helmand has fallen to the Taliban just 12 months after UK combat troops left the province and civilians are fleeing the nearby provincial capital, fearing insurgents will soon move on the town.

The heavy fighting north west of Lashkar Gah and unravelling of security in areas UK troops fought bloody battles to secure comes days before the first anniversary of Britain’s withdrawal of combat troops from Afghanistan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11943684/Taliban-seize-British-stronghold-in-Helmand-as-security-unravels.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

Edited by lfcdude
    Posted

Another example of failed western policy.

Posted

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/benjamin-netanyahu-blames-holocaust-on-palestinian-leader-haj-amin-al-husseini-a6702091.html

Benjamin Netanyahu blames Holocaust on Palestinian leader Haj Amin al-Husseini

Benjamin Netanyahu has placed the blame for the extermination of millions of Jewish people during World War II on the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, in a controversial speech. 

The Israeli Prime Minister told the 37th World Zionist Congress this week that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler only wanted to expel the Jews - but was convinced to exterminate them by the Muslim leader, who died in 1974. 

He said that the pair met in November 1941, and claimed: "Hitler didn't want to exterminate the Jews at the time, he wanted to expel the Jew. And Haj Amin al-Husseini went to Hitler and said, 'If you expel them, they'll all come here (to Palestine).' According to Netanyahu, Hitler then asked: "What should I do with them?" and the Mufti replied: "Burn them."

Linda Grant â€@lindasgrant  2h

Netanyahu has said something so profoundly toxic he might have brought the whole Jewish world down on his head. He's exonerated Hitler.

Ah thats why he is trying to eradicate the people of Palestine, Because their led poor Hitler astray... Right.....

Edited by lfcdude
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather regardless of the season, thunder storms, frost, snow

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/benjamin-netanyahu-blames-holocaust-on-palestinian-leader-haj-amin-al-husseini-a6702091.html

Benjamin Netanyahu blames Holocaust on Palestinian leader Haj Amin al-Husseini

Benjamin Netanyahu has placed the blame for the extermination of millions of Jewish people during World War II on the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, in a controversial speech. 

The Israeli Prime Minister told the 37th World Zionist Congress this week that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler only wanted to expel the Jews - but was convinced to exterminate them by the Muslim leader, who died in 1974. 

He said that the pair met in November 1941, and claimed: "Hitler didn't want to exterminate the Jews at the time, he wanted to expel the Jew. And Haj Amin al-Husseini went to Hitler and said, 'If you expel them, they'll all come here (to Palestine).' According to Netanyahu, Hitler then asked: "What should I do with them?" and the Mufti replied: "Burn them."

Linda Grant â€@lindasgrant  2h

Netanyahu has said something so profoundly toxic he might have brought the whole Jewish world down on his head. He's exonerated Hitler.

Ah thats why he is trying to eradicate the people of Palestine, Because their led poor Hitler astray... Right.....

Well it is true the original Nazi plan was to ship off the Jews rather than kill them. Madagascar was one option. If true though this doesn't exonerate Hitler at all, after all he happily went along with the Final Solution, he was the one along with other senior Nazis that actually set the wheels in motion and carried out the holocaust. If I tell a bloke it is a good idea to kill people then he does exactly that he isn't free of culpability due to my suggestion. 

And saying he is trying to eradicate the people of Palestine is nonsense. The Palestinian people need to cast aside the terrorists like Hamas and Hezbollah and tell Israel that they recognise the Israeli state exists, they renounce violence and want to discuss how the two peoples can share and live together. The Israelis need to do the same from their side. 

Incidentally the historical evidence shows that al-Husseini was in direct contact with Hitler and a very keen supporter of the Nazis. No conspiracy theories here.

Edited by solarcycle
    • Like 2
    Posted

Well now fancy that

The US is rebooting its strategy in the war against Islamic State after months of stalemate and Russia’s intervention in the Syrian conflict.

The Pentagon’s plan, steered by General Joseph Dunford, America’s top military commander, would force Isis to fight on several fronts. It calls for co-ordinated offensives involving Syrian and Iraqi Kurdish forces, the Iraqi army and Iranian-backed Shia militias — which the US refuses to endorse.

Ash Carter, the US defence secretary, and senior officials are expected to outline the strategy to Congress next week.

Washington is dismayed at the deadlock in the battle to retake Ramadi and Mosul, the biggest Isis-held cities in Iraq. Amid reports that the Kremlin has requested permission from Baghdad to begin airstrikes inside Iraq, General Dunford is plotting a massive increase in US-led airstrikes and the deployment of substantially more anti-tank weapons to regain the initiative.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Wouldn't this just anger Turkey further perhaps causing them to react?

http://www.voanews.com/content/dispute-over-use-of-us-airdrop-in-syria/3018216.html

Edited by Blitzen

Wouldn't this just anger Turkey further perhaps causing them to react?

http://www.voanews.com/content/dispute-over-use-of-us-airdrop-in-syria/3018216.html

I've no doubt it will but the Kurds have been downtrodden by the Arabs for long enough - The Ottoman Empire and more lately Turkey has never done them any favours so I hold the view that they should be allowed their independent homeland.

Posted

I've no doubt it will but the Kurds have been downtrodden by the Arabs for long enough - The Ottoman Empire and more lately Turkey has never done them any favours so I hold the view that they should be allowed their independent homeland.

I get the feeling that the ultimate goal here is to scupper Putin's plans.   America always seems to stir things up in the background causing someone else to do their dirty work.   At least that's how it appears to me.

If Turkey is angered and reacts, then I suppose NATO may be sitting at their backs.   Mission accomplished?

Posted

I get the feeling that the ultimate goal here is to scupper Putin's plans.   America always seems to stir things up in the background causing someone else to do their dirty work.   At least that's how it appears to me.

If Turkey is angered and reacts, then I suppose NATO may be sitting at their backs.   Mission accomplished?

I think you're right. The old cold war politics back from the past. The policy will have far reaching consequences for most of Europe as well as that will get destabilized as more and more refugees plus extremist filter into the regime. For those left behind years of war lords and murder to come.

Reading the title of the tread again - the Middle East is not really going anywhere different from where it has been going for the past 3000 years, except that they have got a lot more of the world involved these days.

Edited by mike Meehan
    Posted

With Fallon having the audacity to state that  "We can no longer  expect others to clear up this mess for us" and so is working very hard to convince MPs that a second vote is needed to this time allow the Brits to enter into the Syrian debacle, one has to ask on which side would we be fighting?   If MPs are stupid enough to give the Government the OK, then be it on their heads the nightmare that will follow!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-25/einsteinian-insanity-us-saudi-arabia-pledge-provide-more-guns-ammo-syrian-proxy-armi

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted

With Fallon having the audacity to state that  "We can no longer  expect others to clear up this mess for us" and so is working very hard to convince MPs that a second vote is needed to this time allow the Brits to enter into the Syrian debacle, one has to ask on which side would we be fighting?   If MPs are stupid enough to give the Government the OK, then be it on their heads the nightmare that will follow!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-25/einsteinian-insanity-us-saudi-arabia-pledge-provide-more-guns-ammo-syrian-proxy-armi

Wow he said for us, is there something we don't know that attributes this whole debacle to something we have done?

I'm probably reading more into the for us bit than necessary I hope.

Edited by alexisj9
    Posted

Wow he said for us, is there something we don't know that attributes this whole debacle to something we have done?

I'm probably reading more into the for us it than necessary I hope.

I took it to mean that he was referring to (us) being Britain.    Because of the first Parliamentary NO vote against action in Syria 2 years ago,  we are not allowed to give assistance in combating Isis in Syria presently without obtaining further Parliamentary permission. That is why he is pushing hard for a second vote.

Posted

Blair getting closer to admitting that the Iraq policies and fake intelligence were wrong and misleading. Nearly admitting that the western policies destabilized the middle east totally.  Iraq may have descended into civil war once Saddam had dies then it may not have. We don't know. What we do know is that we created a hot bed for civil unrest and extremism. Didn't learn from the mistakes and created another one in Libya and trying very hard to do the same in Syria.  

Posted

I took it to mean that he was referring to (us) being Britain.    Because of the first Parliamentary NO vote against action in Syria 2 years ago,  we are not allowed to give assistance in combating Isis in Syria presently without obtaining further Parliamentary permission. That is why he is pushing hard for a second vote.

True but how can anyone clear up a mess for us if we were not involved, it's just the way it sounds doesn't ring right. Why get involved if we are not, we don't have too. Why not do a switzerland and stay neutral. 

Posted

Blair getting closer to admitting that the Iraq policies and fake intelligence were wrong and misleading. Nearly admitting that the western policies destabilized the middle east totally.  Iraq may have descended into civil war once Saddam had dies then it may not have. We don't know. What we do know is that we created a hot bed for civil unrest and extremism. Didn't learn from the mistakes and created another one in Libya and trying very hard to do the same in Syria.  

Repeated repetition of this doesn't make it any more true than the first time around. The Middle east hasn't been stable since WW2, and the latest manifestation is down once again to the internecine strife between Sunni and Shia. Iran versus Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf States, the Sunni led uprising in Syria and elsewhere against corrupt dictators and governments with Shia affiliations, and the rise of Jihadist Sunni extremists whose philosophy is based on their selective 7th century interpretation of the 'prophecies'. The latter aren't specifically anti west they are anti everybody who don't subscribe to their warped philosophy and that includes many Sunni tribes. And they were spawned in Iraq, and elsewhere, in the 1990s after Hussein had reduced a once vibrant and rich country to a basket case.

To keep blaming the west for the whole shebang is far too simplistic and very lazy thinking.

Edited by knocker
    Posted

I agree that ME history is very complex Knocker and I realise that you are very well read on the subject which is obvious by your explanation.  However, I do think that the west is currently  to blame because of their infiltration into the area on an entirely different agenda. Unfortunately, I don't think the west gives two hoots about the people, the history or the culture.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-10/competing-gas-pipelines-are-fueling-syrian-war-migrant-crisis

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Saudi Arabia's ambassador is threatening us with 'serious repercussions' over our apparent change in attitude to them. We'd diplomatically tell them to 'foxtrot oscar' if it wasn't for oil and we'll do it in the future, beyond my lifetime, when the oil runs dry.

Personally I'd tell them where to go right now!

• Like 2
    Posted

Map Wars.

Once again, we have a total corporate media stand down on a huge story that is staring them in the face.

What we are going to be doing is looking at each map below and seeing why they are so divergent.

America lost the Map Wars…

Kaiser_429

Pentagon contractor and trusted congressional source, the ISW is making a case for Russia’s bombing campaign being exclusively aimed at “friendly rebels.†However, in this graphic “fib fest†of the ISW, their imagineering has thrown more than a simple monkey wrench into America’s war effort as well.

The ISW map above of Northwest Syria shows a very small patch controlled by al Nusra and a huge area that the Russians have blown the holy hell out of being peaceful “moderate terrorists†that plan to deliver their form of “democracy†to the people of Syria whether they like it or not.

Real map showing no FSA forces in Northern Syria.

Syria Infographic showing FSA only in the south. We know this map is horribly embarrassing to the US and the coalition. We can only hope the Russians don’t see this and bring it up to Secretary Kerry at the next round of talks in Vienna, the ones where Iran and Egypt will be present. The last time America made a mistake like this was the drone campaign where 90% of the casualties were innocent civilians and 90% of the other 10% were innocent civilians too.

Check link for maps.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/10/24/map-wars/

• Like 1