Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatchMyDrift

North West England - Potential Snow Thread Part 22

C'mon the slush probably for me, doesn't feel cold enough, the current temp is 4c. The higher parts to the east of the region could get a bit more than that though.

2.8C with drizzle now!

If the rain peps back up again allowing further evaporative cooling to take place, it WILL snow!

Not bothered with the forum being how distasterous winter turned out to be on the whole, However I will confirm it is currently snowing in Oldham and quite heavy :D

Wont hold my breath though as the models still look onionse imo

It's still snowing here, and has been since about 3am as far as I know, it has settled but it's very slushy and every thing is dripping. Looking at the radar the preciptation band is about to leave us.

I'm in Kendal at present, snowline just under 200m by the looks of it, however, I suspect it is lower in the central lakes. I'm off to Ambleside shortly, will be interesting to see how low the snowline is.. suspect back home we may have just scraped the lightest of dustings. The fells look like the got a heavy amount of snow, quite surprised though to hear Kirkstone Pass is open- perhaps it is very wet and slushy even at that height?

Still its the first bit of lowland snow since late Jan.

Can I record this morning as one with snow cover for Windermere. will find out shortly, I think I have just missed out.

I think we have had what could officially be called a covering

maybe 2cm at the most I would say and it's still coming down although not heavy.

the temperatures have been falling overnight but now appear to have levelled out at 0.4c.

I can't see us getting much more snow which, as it's that wet slushy type and no fun to be out in suits me fine.

TBH i'd sooner have rain that sleet.

Still snowing here, but the depth isn't increasing as it's melting as quick as it lands. I now have to go out and take two wheels off my wife's car as she hit a pot hole and ripped them to shreds....in the snow.

LCC gritter just gone past with a snow plough fitted.

unless it's deeper at the top of the hill than outside my house then I think they are having a larf.

either that or they've been helping over in West Yorskshire where it sounds like they've had a lot more than we have and at lower altitude.

BTW it is snowing very hard here at the moment although still that wet slushy type.

LCC gritter just gone past with a snow plough fitted.

unless it's deeper at the top of the hill than outside my house then I think they are having a larf.

either that or they've been helping over in West Yorskshire where it sounds like they've had a lot more than we have and at lower altitude.

Yep pretty tricky up here. All flights diverted, and none are flying.

Currently very heavy snow, and a strong easterly breeze.

Looks to be 5cm+ with a current temperature of -1.1c, dew-point -1.4d

Still snowing here, but the depth isn't increasing as it's melting as quick as it lands. I now have to go out and take two wheels off my wife's car as she hit a pot hole and ripped them to shreds....in the snow.

I can understand that. Pot holes all buried in slush and take the speed humps that are also buried in slush makes driving interesting and hazardous.

Probably snowed here at some point last night as the temperature was 2.8c when i looked at 3am. Not fussed on missing it if it was as slushy and horrible as some say.

No snow here last night, minimum was 3.4C with a dewpoint of 3C also, not conducive to snow. Still pretty close though!

Well we have managed a morning with snow cover at 9am here in Windermere - 2cms of slushy stuff on most surfaces. On my travels between Kendal and Windermere this morning it was a science lesson in how evaporative cooling and altitude combined are key factors in helping to aid snow cover. Around 3 miles to the nw of Kendal the fields suddenly appeared white and 5 miles along the A591 near Ings there was a full cover of 2cms - the difference in height between the centre of Kendal and Ings is 70m i.e. Kendal - 50m and Ings 130m. Thereafter the snow was evident through until slowly thinning near Ambleside where the road is 50m.

The precipitation was a little more intense close to Ings and Windermere compared to Kendal. Interestingly I decided to do a minor divertion on my return to Windermere from Ambleside via Troutbeck, to see how deeper the snow was here, I was surprised to see the troutbeck valley all green especially as it is 150m high - again an example of how due to slightly less intense precipitation here evaporative cooling didn't take hold quite as well.

There have been numerous occasions in the past when Kendal has had no snow but Ings and Windermere are covered thick in the stuff, local topography is a key factor around these parts, the slightly higher altitude and closer proximity to the fells and also more inland location helps to create much less marginal conditions compared to the centre of Kendal.

Feb 2011 will not go down as one with no snow cover at 9am, I'm very pleased. Back to current conditions its cold temps of 2 degrees and the snow is struggling to melt and clear - a proper winters day.

Feb 2011 will not go down as one with no snow cover at 9am, I'm very pleased. Back to current conditions its cold temps of 2 degrees and the snow is struggling to melt and clear - a proper winters day.

Not here in south Manchester, unless the weather can pull out a rabbit before the 28th. 12C here on Weds if the gfs is right, 14 on Friday. Ensembles have good agreement up to Weds at least, so that looks likely. Cooler afterwards, but that's a long way off.

A

My last snow was 7th January, no sleet even since, main snow though came at right time, coldest and darkest time of year, and of course a snowy run up to Xmas ans xmas its self,. snow generally associated with xmas and thats when it came

Nice to read that Damian, looking fwd to Fairfield tomorrow! :yahoo:

No snow here last night, minimum was 3.4C with a dewpoint of 3C also, not conducive to snow. Still pretty close though!

No snow here either. Minimum temp 3.3C with a dewpoint hovering around 0C.

Looks like another week of mixed weather. The possibility of snow for some, heavy rain and gales according to METO.

Whiteout conditions on the M62 this morning on my journey from Manchester to Leeds at 6am.

Tricky driving for sure. In places only the slow lane was useable. Slowly! Manchester - heavy rain - Rochdale - Heavy sleet - Saddleworth to Leeds - Heavy Snow readily accumulating.

Loafer from Kent here, driving tomorrow from Edinburgh to Poole...what is the collective view on tomorrow's weather down the M6 corridor, currently showing snowfall on the NAE...?

Loafer from Kent here, driving tomorrow from Edinburgh to Poole...what is the collective view on tomorrow's weather down the M6 corridor, currently showing snowfall on the NAE...?

The stretch of the M6 between Carlisle and Lancaster may be tricky as snow is forecast for Cumbria but can't see any probems further south.

Quite a chilly start to the day max of 5 degrees so far and I can't see it rising much further due to the very low cloud which is making for rather miserable dank dreary conditions. Shame because the fells would be looking resplendent today in sunshine with their new winter white coats..

Tomorrow morning looks quite interesting for these parts, perhaps a repeat of Friday night? Dewpoints look quite favourable for low level snow and once again the front is arriving just when we see lowest surface temps.. the met office have an advisory warning of snow above 150m.. if the precipitation is quite heavy evaporative cooling will once again aid development of snowfall to lower levels than this I suspect. So we may be looking at 2 mornings with snow cover at 9am.. turning into a half decent wintry spell in the lake district.

Further ahead, after a very mild spell wed-sat, things look to tirn much cooler again with polar maritime air returning and further snow for the fells and hopefully lower ground from time to time as we head into March - the downside of snow in March if associated with polar/arcitc maritime air is the sun usually quickly pops out behind the showers and with its extra heat at this time of year can quickly melt a 2 inch cover - but if the snow is deep enough it will take much longer..

Looks like it will finally snow here tomorrow.

NAE says Birmingham will be the Southern limit.