Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.J

2011 Cricket World Cup

......and now we move on, after a brilliant Ashes victory, England suffered a hammering by Australia in the ODI's, so not the best preparation for the forthcoming world cup.....England played their first warm up game earlier today with an unconvincing 16 run win over minnows Canada.....Fifties from Trott & Prior and a good 5-for for Broad in his comeback match from injury were the highlights in an otherwise indifferent performance.....Can England lift the trophy this time around or should be brace ourselves for an early exit?....Please post your thoughts here :)

I wonder if we have a batsman to do what the Canadian did to us and score at a strike rate of around 130!

Him doing so today very nearly caused an upset!

In the ODIs against Australia Trott scored tons of runs but nobody except, maybe, Prior, showed they could

score at such strike rates.

It was an interesting move to see KP open the batting, perhaps that's going to be a surprise ongoing tactic.

We should get through the group stage but I think it's knock out after that so performance on the day counts!

preview build - better late than never:

http://www.netweathe...cricketworldcup

Thanks Karl

So where are all the cricket fans??......A world cup & only a couple of posts?!

No shocks so far after the first 3 games, India comfortably beating Bangladesh, NZ crushing Kenya (probably the most one sided game I've ever watched!) & Sri Lanka thumping Canada, although I was amused watching the Canadian allrounder Cheema thumping Murali for a couple of huge sixes! :lol:

Tomorrow its Australia v Zimbabwe, with England's campaign starting on tuesday v's Holland

Thanks Karl

So where are all the cricket fans??......A world cup & only a couple of posts?!

No shocks so far after the first 3 games, India comfortably beating Bangladesh, NZ crushing Kenya (probably the most one sided game I've ever watched!) & Sri Lanka thumping Canada, although I was amused watching the Canadian allrounder Cheema thumping Murali for a couple of huge sixes! :lol:

Tomorrow its Australia v Zimbabwe, with England's campaign starting on tuesday v's Holland

Shame the canadian bowler was injured so early on, i thought he was playing well.

I take its only me that has seen through England by promoting KP to open???

KP Loves pace on the ball...and has been undone so many times by spinners....

I take its only me that has seen through England by promoting KP to open???

KP Loves pace on the ball...and has been undone so many times by spinners....

Indeed he does, and that in itself could be his undoing....,.he likes pacey tracks so he can hit through the line, alas the tracks in the sub-continent are generally slow, low grubbers, and with the ball not coming onto the bat, I feel KP is going to be one of those batsmen earmarked by bowlers as a 'Played onto his own wicket' batter, still, if he can adjust, a mountain of runs is his for the taking...

...Today, the Aussies have got off to a solid start with a 91 run victory over Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe bowled and fielded well to restrict the Aussies to 262, but found the pace of Lee, Tait, & Johnson a bit too hot to handle when batting, ending up 171 all out....Onto tomorrow, and it's England's first game of the campaign, against Holland, a game they should win comfortably, but the memory of Holland's win over us at the 2009 World 20/20 lingers uncomfortably in my mind!

England beat Holland today by 6 wickets, but a far from convincing win...Holland batted really well to reach 292 for 6, aided by some poor bowling and at times abysmal fielding (a sign of a jaded England ?) Ryan ten Doeschate scoring a splendid century...England surpassed them in the run chase but needed some belligerent hitting from Bopara & Collingwood to see us home....In summary, a win, but I would grade England a 'C'...a pass but much improvment needed, and Holland an 'A-'...defeat for them, but the Dutch come out of the game with a lot of credit

desperately close against a side they should have walked over?

desperately close against a side they should have walked over?

I don't think we should have walked over Holland at all.

Their best batsman scored a world class century and then he bowled very well too to get a deserved man of the match award. They

also have several very good players who play in our county cricket.

Holland are by far better than Kenya and Canada, more on a par with Ireland than those 2 teams.

England's group 'minnows', being Holland and Ireland, will provide much stiffer opposition than Kenya and Canada in the other

group - Kenya have been thrashed out of sight again today!

Heh, England are unbelievable at times. 281-2 and cruising against India, now 285-5 and looking likely to lose. :doh:

Edit: Shambolic, 289-6.

Heh, England are unbelievable at times. 281-2 and cruising against India, now 285-5 and looking likely to lose. :doh:

Edit: Shambolic, 289-6.

29 required off 12 balls with 3 wickets left, looks like England are going to lose now, how they've managed to get in this position, I'll never know.........edit.....14 off 6 balls, outside chance?

A tie!!!.....holy smokes, what a game!

What a match!!!!

Somehow it finishes as a tie! Remarkable effort from the lower order, and a draw is probably fair as neither side deserved to lose.

What a match!!!!

Somehow it finishes as a tie! Remarkable effort from the lower order, and a draw is probably fair as neither side deserved to lose.

I agree with that but really England should have won from their position with 8 overs to go. On the otherhand Bell should have be given out LBW, what a stupid rule.

What a match!!!!

Shame we aren't still playing the old rules, we would've won by losing fewer wickets

I agree with that but really England should have won from their position with 8 overs to go. On the otherhand Bell should have be given out LBW, what a stupid rule.

Indeed, but then I guess the Indians would claim they should/could have won when we needed 29 runs from two overs.

Shame we aren't still playing the old rules, we would've won by losing fewer wickets

In the knock out stages there will be a 'super over' if scores are tied but I am delighted with a point

versus India in their own back yard when chasing 339!!!!!!

Credit where it's due, India had to rely on their best bowler (Zaheer) to dig them out of trouble when

Strauss and Bell were cruising.

We should be lauding Strauss for a superb start to his World Cup batting : 88 v Holland and now a huge century!

Oh dear, after a decent display against India, England are currently playing abysmally against the minnows of Ireland (and yes, they are minnows) or rather England's bowling is abysmal....They are now, as I type, in serious danger of being beaten by Ireland.....O'Brien has slogged 76 off 38 balls, good stuff by him, but TBH, I could slog that off this dreadful England 'bowling' attack....absolutley horrific TV viewing

it gets worse, now Obrien has been dropped by Strauss, Calamity after calamity.....What is it about England's ODI team?.....In test cricket, they're amongst the very best, yet in ODI cricket we always capitulate....Almost defies belief, and the crazy thing is, is that O'Brien in international terms, is a mediocre batsman at best! :fool:

hahaha...laughable now, another dropped catch!

The way England are in the field, they are not going to advance much further let alone win the World Cup based on those performances.

Two weak nations (the Dutch and the Irish) and we have struggled against them.

England lose to Ireland, I suggest the PM orders the clowns back home!

superb century from O'Brien

88 was it in boundaries? his century off 50 deliveries.

Personally, I'm utterly ashamed of the English team as I type, they've just been beaten by Ireland (Ireland, for gawds sake!) and are now the laughing stock of world cricket IMO....I just don't get it?......They reduced Ireland to 111-5 and that in cricketing terms, is game over, even against the very best, it's game over, yet somehow, the bowling and fielding just went to pot as i t did in the Holland game & against India (Bresnan apart)....The Irish fans can crow over Kevin O'Brien, but look at his ODI record against the Test playing nations, it's mediocre at best, he's barely good enough to play county cricket, yet put an England bowler in front of him, and suddenly the cricket ball's the size of a football....England just froze today, there's no other word for it, Ireland are not a better team (otherwise they'd be playing test match cricket).....If anyone doubts me, watch how the Indians & South Africans demolish Ireland in their upcoming games.....As for England's future?.....well, there's nothing wrong with the batting, but our bowling has been dreadful & has leaked runs in every game, and can't expect the batsmen to post unassailable scores everytime....If Holland can score 292 against us, and Ireland chase down 328, then there is no way we can compete in this world cup, and are destined to defeat and humiliation in this competition.....I personally can't understand how our bowlers can't get the basics right, as I've been banging on about this for months and months, if a batsman is trying to slog you, bowl accurate yorkers, it's as simple as that! none of this slower ball bouncer and short stuff claptrap!........Oh, what's the use! :wallbash:

I seem to recall the Irish humiliating the West Indies in the 1960s. I think this will surpass that in Irish cricket folklore.

I seem to recall the Irish humiliating the West Indies in the 1960s. I think this will surpass this in Irish cricket folklore.

They also beat Pakistan in the last world cup in a low scoring game.......erm, it's probably in bad taste, but if anyone remembers the aftermath of that game, I sincerely hope that Andy Flower makes sure he has a non-slip bath mat in his hotel bathroom this evening!

Anyhoos, what makes this defeat so galling, is that I can understand how shocks can happen during a low scoring contest, but England were out of sight, 327 runs in the bag, and Ireland 111-5, and Kev O'Brien should have gone 1st ball caught at slip off Swann if the captain had set his field correctly, and somehow they let Ireland cruise home at 8 an over for the rest of the innings, and indeed, during the O'Brien/Cusack partnership it was absolute carnage!

Right, well I've had my rant and blast at the England team, anyone else fancy continuing the post-mortem?.....or any Irish fans out there like to jump in and celebrate their team's stunning victory?

.....or any Irish fans out there like to jump in and celebrate their team's stunning victory?

I can understand your pain. It would be like England beating Ireland at hurling! :D

I just hope this 'form' follows on to the rugby pitch on the 19th!!! :p