Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase - Video Memories

Paul

Posted

Thought it would be a plan to start a fresh thread for a look back at the storm chases so far...

If you missed it yesterday - there's a video highlight reel from the 2007-2009 chases here:

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2046214

I'll try to post at least one new video a day up, today's is some of the most spectacular and frequent lightning you're likely to see. From the 2009 chase - just east of Childress:

Some incredible photos of the lightning are in the report from that day here:

http://forum.netweat...pictures-day-4/

Posted

From a lightning point of view that is a night I will never forget. The frequency of the lightning strikes was unreal. I should point out that you can only see about 10% of the strikes in that clip in the field of view of the camera. We had lightning north, south, east and west all at the same time.

This is probably my fav lightning pic from that storm, its a bit over exposed and shame about the truck but it did allow for the leader to be photographed before the return stroke which is rare enough to get on camera.

IMG_3112.jpg

Posted

Craig

I think we were all using F5.7 T0 F7.1 And ISO 100 that night

Here is one of mine but no where near as good as John Boys!

post-24-0-15350500-1297642272_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thats a great shot right there John, mind if I ask for the shot settings?

Hi Criag,

That one was ISO 200 f/6.3 and 2 second exposure. I thought the exposure was longer but just shows how bright / close the strike was. Was zoomed out to the max my 18 - 55 would let me.

Posted

Thanks for the info John and Paul, have been looking around for examples of lightning shots at different apetures to see how they vary, knowledge is power and all that, sooooo looking forward to putting it into practice soon !!