Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Remembering A Power Cut New Year Eve In The 80S

damianslaw

Posted

The threads about christmas 97 and 98 and all the stormy weather and made me think back to a particular new year eve in the 80's, here in Windermere we had a power cut and I don't know as I was quite young whether it was caused by stormy conditions or whether it was a localised incident.

I think it was either new year 1984, 1985 or 1986. Would like to know what the conditions were like on those three eves in this neck of the woods. I think new year 85 was a cold wintry affair... but not sure if stormy..

My parents say it was due to storms but they can't remember the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's unlikely to have been 1985 because there was a moderate northerly flow on the 1st January that year, but not a particularly cold one. Severe cold, snowy weather didn't establish from the north-east until near the end of the first week.

1st January 1984 is a possibility because it was windy, but there were many windier days that month, and wintry weather didn't start affecting Cumbria until the 3rd.

1st January 1986 is also possible- perhaps a thaw on New Year's Eve following a post-Christmas 1985 northerly could have caused problems, or a deep low that approached from the south-west late on New Year's Day. Again, though, the WZ archive doesn't suggest that it was exceptionally windy.

Posted

It's unlikely to have been 1985 because there was a moderate northerly flow on the 1st January that year, but not a particularly cold one. Severe cold, snowy weather didn't establish from the north-east until near the end of the first week.

1st January 1984 is a possibility because it was windy, but there were many windier days that month, and wintry weather didn't start affecting Cumbria until the 3rd.

1st January 1986 is also possible- perhaps a thaw on New Year's Eve following a post-Christmas 1985 northerly could have caused problems, or a deep low that approached from the south-west late on New Year's Day. Again, though, the WZ archive doesn't suggest that it was exceptionally windy.

Thanks for your post - as I thought it was probably wasn't down to the weather more a case of localised events. I remember many a time during the 80's when we saw power cuts. Indeed we always had spare candles ready. Powercuts remind me of my childhood, nowadays they are a rare event. It is only exceptionally stormy weather or nsowy conditions which seem to cause them. Back in the 70's and 80's they occured naturally due to technical power failure. I often remember the television going off and notices to say sorry for the technical problems but we will be back when they are sorted.