Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crocodile23

Depressons/cyclone And Connection With Rain Or Snow.

Hi, first post here, i've searched about an answer of that here, but i haven't found anything, sorry if my search proves to be flawed.:rolleyes:

First what is the difference between the terms: "cyclone", depression" and "low system"?

Does all 3 mean the same thing? Or there are differences? If it's the latter then what these differences are?

Second and more important, i know for my area that when a low system(or cyclone or depression) approaches us from our west(we have sea in our west-i live in Thessaloniki-northern Greece) then it brings heavy rain phenomena or snow if temperatures et al, are appropriate.

But why? Why the low brings these precipitations? Does it needs to travel through sea to do it, or the mechanism has nothing to do with traveling through sea? If instead a low comes from our north(where there is no sea in its path), will it bring precipitations also?

So what i'm asking is what is the EXACT mechanisms that a low system brings precipitations? I have heard something about colliding with warmer pressure systems and then doing some procedures, but i can't find anything concrete.

Thanks.:D

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather