Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kar999

Domain Hosting

I need to beef up Mrs Kar's business webpages. She's got the .com .co.uk from Namesco but I hear their hosting service is pants.

Anyone recomend a good hosting company. The website and bandwidth wont need to be huge and we only want to run the .com one as the main site. Namesco just give us a single holding page for each daomain so I can link from the .co.uk to the main .com one. A single email account is also ample.

Thanks

Funny that I heard one and one are awful and never answer any support queries. May have changed in the last year or so.

Another option as long as the traffic isn't too large is to host it yourself. How much traffic is there???

We used to use 1&1 in the very early days on here and never had any issues + I know a few people who host with them now and have no problems. I think the issue is sometimes with bigger companies is that you only hear from people who have had bad experiences as happy people don't tend to post about that!

Thanks for the responses. I had 1and1 on my shortlist and UK2Net.

I had looked at this site as a guide .... http://hosting-review.com/uk.shtml but personal experience is always more valuable.

Paul I think you are right. I've often found reviews can be skewed towards dissatisfied customers as many satified people dont bother to comment but an irate customer often will take time to complain. I know I have in the past!

That's one reason I believe Namesco are not too good as I haven't found any positive reviews despite their prices being competitive.

I could host it myself ... never really thought about that but my desktop is pretty old (AMD XP 2.1 + 2G ram) and might not be up to acting as a server. We both use more recent laptops/netbooks now. Bandwidth would be very low as the site is only a shop window for Mrs Kar's Dog lodging and walking business. There's no e-commerce activity but we want to have more pages and use more meta-tags (to get more traffic) which the basic free holding pages we have wont let us do.

http://www.dogsdigsandruns.com/

The main test for any company is how they provide support when things go wrong. Okay if there's 99% uptime but for that one percent you can't get hold of anyone. True people don't report problems and only do so when they hit a snag.

I'm with virgin media and my comment is fine when when working but when it goes wrong the support is woeful which is why I keep two broadband suppliers.

Anyway sorry I'm drifting off subject.

Another way to judge is look at the support forums and see how fast the responses are and whether the problem gets fixed or not. You can also spot the short between the keyboard and chair users as well more easily.

I personally use Eukhost (www.eukhost.com) and their customer support has always been good. Currently have the Copper plan (http://www.eukhost.com/windows-web-hosting.php) I think of the windows hosting. If it's not very big then I could possibly host it for you, although I will need to double check first on my site that there's enough space (currently only use it to host my old football teams website (www.afcdynamo.com)). Never had any downtime in the past 3 or 4 years I've had it for.

FWIW I've used Compila - http://www.compila.com/ - for eight years now without a single hitch. Whilst my site is only very small, on the very few occasions when a problem has occurred they've been excellent. And the website analysis tools are pretty good, and most importantly its cheap !!!

I'm with primehosting.co.uk. Fairly cheap £25 for 500mb of disk space and 25 gig of monthly data transfer. I've exceeded 12.7 gig in December last year and that's with five days not being counted. The amount of transfer depends on whether there's any interesting weather around :)

Tech support okay however they are cheaper options around. The amount of transfer sort of prevents me from hosting the site myself though.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll have a look around this week at some of the suggestions. I've sent you a PM SMHouston.

I'll also see if any places are offering Quidco or Topcashback deals.... (not essential but I got £100 cashback from O2 not so long back on my mobile £180 12 month Sim only contract!! )

I used to be OK with basic HTML, having written our own personal homepages from scratch 15 years or ago but time moves on with fancy pages nowadays so WYSIWYG type tools/scripts will make life so much easier.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll have a look around this week at some of the suggestions. I've sent you a PM SMHouston.

I'll also see if any places are offering Quidco or Topcashback deals.... (not essential but I got £100 cashback from O2 not so long back on my mobile £180 12 month Sim only contract!! )

I used to be OK with basic HTML, having written our own personal homepages from scratch 15 years or ago but time moves on with fancy pages nowadays so WYSIWYG type tools/scripts will make life so much easier.

Send me a pm I might be able to help you out with something cheap

If you are building yourself then you can't beat www.bravenet.com

Mega support, up to 1800GB bandwith per month 180 GB storage for as little as $4.99 month.

Free very easy to use online HTML / Visual editor. Avoid their web tools they are a bit crappy.

I've been with them for 10 years in total now and never a problem.

http://www.bravenet.com/global/hosting_matrix.php

No I don't work for bravenet :rolleyes:

My site www.barnsleyweather.com was built with bravenet. Very easy and quick.

Best regards

Ric

Does anyone know why I can't access Youtube? Do I have to allow it through my firewall as an 'exception'?

Thanks guys. :good: