Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Big Cats In Britain

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

rimg0220.jpg

http://blog.jagged-globe.co.uk/

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

'and what we were reliably informed of as wild cat prints in the snow'. Quoted from the Jagged Globe blog above. They are referring to the native Scottish wild cat, those prints and stride lengths are not much bigger than a domestic moggy, certainly not a big cat!

Posted

'and what we were reliably informed of as wild cat prints in the snow'. Quoted from the Jagged Globe blog above. They are referring to the native Scottish wild cat, those prints and stride lengths are not much bigger than a domestic moggy, certainly not a big cat!

Correct !

If you take the time to read the whole thread you will notice that my post is backing up what i witnessed myself a few months ago. And have done over many years in the mountains.

I never said the photo was anything but.

EDIT-

I have found that over time these prints can gain in size due to certain weather conditions, this can very easly fool people.

myself included.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Correct !

If you take the time to read the whole thread you will notice that my post is backing up what i witnessed myself a few months ago. And have done over many years in the mountains.

I never said the photo was anything but.

EDIT-

I have found that over time these prints can gain in size due to certain weather conditions, this can very easly fool people.

myself included.

Ah right! I can't read minds so it's hard to understand what point you were making by posting a picture of prints from a small cat in a thread about big cats!

Totally agree with you about how prints in snow can fool people, have seen it myself in the mountains where human footprints have been raised and deformed by the wind scouring away the soft snow around them. Can easily see how these legends of the Yeti etc. have come about.

Posted

A recent sighting of a Big Cat

Peter Devine

January 18, 2012

Stockport Express

C_71_article_1471084_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?18%2F01%2F2012%2011%3A23%3A31%3A460

‘BIG CAT’ SIGHTING: Peter Jackson spotted a ‘mountain lion’ type animal in his back garden. Police have now warned people not to approach the cat if they see it

Police have warned people not to approach a large cat spotted in a garden. The alarm was raised by semi-retired businessman Peter Jackson, 54, who was woken in the early hours of Monday by the barks of his labrador Tilly.

Mr Jackson saw what he described as a large ‘mountain lion’ type animal in his garden at Longnor Road, Hazel Grove.

Hair samples left at the scene have been taken away for analysis and police are investigating.

Experts believe the animal may have been a melanistic savannah – a medium-sized black cat, probably imported as a pet.

Mr Jackson said: "I am a light sleeper and when the dog started barking and the security light came on in the garden I dived out of bed and saw this large animal with a black silky coat with large bronze coloured eyes.

"The dog was barking at it from inside our conservatory, but it approached him from the outside with little or no fear, and let out a low growl.

"I started banging on the window and when it saw me it turned at speed and bounded away through a gap in the fence and out onto surrounding fields. It looked like some sort of puma to me because you could see the power in its shoulders"

Mr Jackson said he and wife Debra, 47, are used to seeing wildlife in their garden but he had never seen anything as big as this before.

He added: "I was in total shock, as it’s not the thing you expect to see in Hazel Grove.

"I discussed with my wife whether or not to report it for fear of being ridiculed.

"But we decided we simply could not live with ourselves if this animal was to attack a child.

"I would estimate the animal was four-and-a-half feet in length with a tail similar in size to its body and was about 3ft tall."

Mr Jackson reported the sighting to police.

A police spokesman said: "We had a report that a large ‘mountain lion type’ animal was seen at 3.40am on Monday morning.

"The Unknown Phenomena Investigation Association(UPIA) has been to Mr Jackson’s home and taken away samples of hair for analysis.

"We will be investigating it further, and reassuring residents. If anybody sees this animal they should not approach it but contact police."

Kirst D’Raven, of the UPIA, who carried out a three-hour forensic investigation on Monday, said: "I have little doubt that he saw what he believes to be a medium-sized cat – medium as opposed to a domestic sized or one of the larger species – possibly one of the domestic exotic hybrid breeds such as a melanistic savannah.

"We are liaising with GMP but we are taking this sighting very seriously.

"We took away samples of hair from the garden to try to identify what sort of cat it might be."

If you have any news on this item please let us know by leaving a comment or email bcib@btopenworld.com Please report any sightings at http://www.bigcatsin...lreportform.htm If you wish to comment on any of the items please click the header of the story.

http://britishbigcat...spotted-in.html

Edited by Polar Maritime

• 6 months later...
Posted

It is understood that at least one circus may have been touring the area recently.

Posted

The state government of Victoria, Australia has announced it is funding research into the many sightings of the animal in that state.

I've seen one for myself in Wales, exactly like the one in the pic:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/hunt-for-big-cats-including-cougars-panthers-or-pumas-in-victoria-begins-after-decades-of-reported-sightings/story-e6frf7kx-1226455280709

Posted

their talk of a lioness on the loose in essex at the moment

Posted

From the Guardian

14:51 BST

The hunt is off

Essex police have called off the search.

Quoted by PA, an Essex Police spokesman said:

We believe what was seen on Sunday evening was either a large domestic cat or a wildcat. Extensive searches have been carried out, areas examined and witnesses spoken to; yet nothing has been found to suggest that a lion was in the area. We would like to thank the local community and holidaymakers for their patience and support throughout the past 24 hours as the police and media presence would have been somewhat overwhelming for them.

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

The search has been called off due to the fact mud was hampering investigation work. Not to mention any possible H&S concerns about sending the local 'bobby' into the woods looking for a large cat. If the sighting was genuinely true however then expect to hear of farm animal mutilations over the coming few days, from this a trail could be picked up again.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

The state government of Victoria, Australia has announced it is funding research into the many sightings of the animal in that state.

I've seen one for myself in Wales, exactly like the one in the pic:

http://www.heraldsun...x-1226455280709

Big cat hunt in Victoria over.

Sus.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/big-cat-hunt-declared-over-by-victorian-government-due-to-lack-of-evidence/story-fnbzs1v0-1226476682168