Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatchMyDrift

Alba (Scotland) - Wild Weather Part 24

The old thread can be found here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/67976-alba-scotland-getting-colder-again-spell-23/page__st__765__gopid__2041073

A wild night outside, the wind is getting towards the level it stops being fun and starts being a bit serious. I still love it though. As good as snow!! :) :)

Four Seasons in a day here. Just now the rain has eased and the wind has dropped a bit. max gust here was 67 mph at 6.30 pm. Current temp 5.7c.

Had snow showers giving a covering overnight then ice with a penetrating wind around morning rush hour followed by a calm sunny period before the gales and rain arrived in the late afternoon. This zonal stuff is boring :whistling: .

Welcome back to the big breeze LadyPakal, it could have been worse, you could have been landing in Glasgow, Met-Invent had 75mph gusts earlier.

Just back again from Cubs run, and it was dodge the missile..... wheelie bins, branches, hanging baskets.

M73 at A80 interchange now closed due to accident. Was listening to 5 live while oot, and the traffic report mentioned 40mph speed restrictions in parts of Cumbria due to strong winds..................... and then it ended!!!

Wind is still going strong here - the drive home wasn't a great deal of fun lots of trees along the A82 and road round the loch and after one small branch went over the top of the car it made me very aware of what might come down. Anyway safe and sound at home in front of the fire listening to all sorts banging around outside.

Heaven only knows what we will all find in the morning.

Welcome back to the big breeze LadyPakal, it could have been worse, you could have been landing in Glasgow, Met-Invent had 75mph gusts earlier.

Was hoping that didn't happen. Someone did have to use the vomit bag - I was so hoping the aroma didn't lead to a vomit wave. Could have nickname it the Vomit Comet then... Lots of squealing from the girls at the back.. lad next to me fell asleep and didn't even realise we'd landed 'til I stood up. One of the girls then got blown over on the steps off the plane. (plane was full of International School of Stavanger kids - mostly American by the sound of them - coming over for some reason or other).

I'm not a fan of the wind so I'm glad it's not as bad here as over on the west coast.

Winds risen again a little in last few minutes with a recent gust of 59mph. Sounds as if it is rising even more again right now with objects blowing about. Pressure 987 mbs and falling.

Edit. Yip. That gust was 74mph, highest of the day here.

Maximum here was 57.9 but the noises coming through my house are pretty scary lol

Is it to get worse or shall it start easing soon?

Winds risen again a little in last few minutes with a recent gust of 59mph. Sounds as if it is rising even more again right now with objects blowing about. Pressure 987 mbs and falling.

The Met-Office weather warning for severe gales expired here at 9pm...someone forgot to tell the wind! A howling gale outside, classic west of Scotland weather. The drive home from work tonight was pretty epic, I forgot how good proper wet and windy weather is.

A few flood warnings out now:

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/Floodwarnings/default.aspx

Was hoping that didn't happen. Someone did have to use the vomit bag - I was so hoping the aroma didn't lead to a vomit wave. Could have nickname it the Vomit Comet then... Lots of squealing from the girls at the back.. lad next to me fell asleep and didn't even realise we'd landed 'til I stood up. One of the girls then got blown over on the steps off the plane. (plane was full of International School of Stavanger kids - mostly American by the sound of them - coming over for some reason or other).

I'm not a fan of the wind so I'm glad it's not as bad here as over on the west coast.

The one asleep would be me. laugh.gif

Need to go and glue my letter box closed before it drives me round the bend.

The one asleep would be me. laugh.gif

Need to go and glue my letter box closed before it drives me round the bend.

The A803 at the 3 bridges near too u is totally flooded

road closed noway through

On the East Coast from London to Edinburgh. We hit an object (probably a branch) near Berwick and stopped for a while. Seems the driver had to disconnect a damaged air brake hose!

Still pretty windy out there. It must take a serious amount of force to sway a main line train - guess the surface area is large though!

The Forth and Tay bridges await with a much smaller train - could be interesting ;-)

Take care out there people.

M

Yes it's picked up here in the last hour too, there was a large branch down on the St Andrews-Crail road coming home about 9pm - police attending. Much windier here in Crail than it was in St Andrews (as you'd expect). Lights are flickering. Incidentally I was in Dundee this morning - nice covering of snow especially the higher parts.

Just back again from Cubs run, and it was dodge the missile..... wheelie bins, branches, hanging baskets.

M73 at A80 interchange now closed due to accident. Was listening to 5 live while oot, and the traffic report mentioned 40mph speed restrictions in parts of Cumbria due to strong winds..................... and then it ended!!!

Cheggers, attached html might allow radar incorporation into kiltedweather.html

A further tab maybe?

kiltedraintoday.htm

Cheggers, attached html might allow radar incorporation into kiltedweather.html

A further tab maybe?

good.gif Going to switch to a larger screen at the weekend to render it better for most, as using a wee netbook at present.

Wind still howling here, temp 4.2c

I think we'll need canoes by tomorrow lunchtime, a shed load more rain on the way judging by the GFS 18z. You can't beat a good bit of weather after a good few weeks of a high pressure snooze fest. It's only the 3rd of February but the weather this month has already beaten January hands down.

good.gif Going to switch to a larger screen at the weekend to render it better for most, as using a wee netbook at present.

Wind still howling here, temp 4.2c

Found an error. This is fixed.

Although you just need the div tag and ccs in any event.

EDIT, and css might need some positioning changes depending on where you put the div.

Oh, and of course if run locally it will give a security warning due to the raintoday script, but no problem accepting to run that (no radar if not!)

kiltedraintoday_2.htm

Wonder whot,s Mondy up to

Trying to garther up his big mast aerial from the local nee-bers gardens and the surrounding area

I think we'll need canoes by tomorrow lunchtime, a shed load more rain on the way judging by the GFS 18z. You can't beat a good bit of weather after a good few weeks of a high pressure snooze fest. It's only the 3rd of February but the weather this month has already beaten January hands down.

It is pretty epic stuff outside.....actually struggled to walk against the wind earlier on and i have been watching the for sale sign next door get more and more horizontal :help: and theres no where else to park my car apart from adjacent to it!!

imagine if it snowed now?? there would be day after tommorow proportions sized drifts and just general armageddon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/23degrees/2011/02/violent_storm_heading_towards.html

interesting read!!

It is pretty epic stuff outside.....actually struggled to walk against the wind earlier on and i have been watching the for sale sign next door get more and more horizontal :help: and theres no where else to park my car apart from adjacent to it!!

imagine if it snowed now?? there would be day after tommorow proportions sized drifts and just general armageddon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/23degrees/2011/02/violent_storm_heading_towards.html

interesting read!!

The wind has died back now, it seems to have lifted to the treetops. Tomorrow's rain is the next worry. With saturated ground there will be flooding. The drive to work should be fun though :) :)

Had a slight lull for half an hour but it is now back. Everything is rattling, dread to think what is flying around the garden, lights are flickering constantly. Lots of activity after such a settled period!

T on the way down now, dropped from 7.2 C to 5.7 C in the last hour.

Will be icy if the forecast possible frost comes of.

GFS 18Z coming in. Wonder if it will go with the ECM.

Had a slight lull for half an hour but it is now back. Everything is rattling, dread to think what is flying around the garden, lights are flickering constantly. Lots of activity after such a settled period!

Indeed, everything was fine and we thought it had quieted down then I was in the middle of processing a sale in the call center and BANG there was a huge crack of lightning and hail against all the windows literally just three minutes of just insane noise and wind then silence and it started to pick up again.

The walk home from work was wild. Worst winds I've seen in Edinburgh yet, couldn't even walk against it I was having to hold on to things

Well thats us seen another storm off

damage reports 2morrow then

Turning to snow now in southern, higher areas?

Soutra looks wintry.

T continuing to slowly drop here. 4.5 C.