Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - general discussion

Cookie

Posted

Just woken after being up all night from making sure nothing would majorly damage the house either from our garden or the next. Winds peaked at around 05.30am when one of the biggest gusts I can recall from memory slammed into the house (I have a western facing room) and a three-seater garden chair was literally lifted a meter out of place. It didn't drag as I would have heard the scraping aswell as seeing it on the floor, but this thing takes more people to lift it in place than to sit on it..even here the wind was that verocious. A couple of bins also blowing over in the night with huge 'booms' as they hit the deck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Last night and today was windier then I thought it would be considering we are in the South of the country.

There was a period of probably about four gusts that were much stronger than any of the others and made all of the trees sway and make a loud high-pitched whistling noise as the gusts wen't passed them. It happened just as the rainband crossed over us and it became clear, and the wind direction also changed instantly from SW to NW in less then a minute!

My weather station only recorded a high of 27mph but I would say that at the right height and exposure those big gusts we had must have been at least above 35mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

I wish I had wind readings here, just inland from Port Dinorwig. I've never heard or felt wind like this - there's a howling in the sky itself. Impressive stuff.

Capel Curig in Snowdonia has recorded gusts of 70mph I see.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Some action coming this Thursday and this weekend as the active Atlantic roller gets going. Well worth keeping an eye on.