Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer of 95

Sunshine From Dawn Till Dusk?

On the climate-uk site there is a note that a location called Bramham in Yorkshire recorded 8.0h "bright sunshine" on

January 18th, when according to sunrisesunset.com the length of day on that date at that location (which Googling says is in West Yorks, climate-uk in N Yorks) was 8 hours and 5 minutes- sunrise 0813 and sunset 1618! Coordinates I used were 53.9N and 1.35W.

That is what I would call unbroken sunshine!

I assume they're using an electronic sunshine recorder and this highlights the discrepancy between electronic and the old Campbell Stokes recorder. The Campbell Stokes would not start recording until the sun was a few degrees above the horizon and would stop recording when the sun was within a few degrees of disappearing below the horizon.

It also makes me wonder if their recorder requires slight adjustment as, in my experience, the sunshine within a few minutes of sunrise and sunset is not bright enough to be classified as 'bright sunshine' as per WMO definition.

Having said all that it's evident that the day in question was sunny from beginning to end.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather