Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

25 Years Ago Today

Its 25 years ago today that the Space shuttle Challenger exploded killing its 7 astronauts.

I remember finding out about this on Newsround which was was the first to announce the Shuttle exploding.

Found this on youtube. Hard to believe it was 25 years ago.

I can't remember why I was at home that afternoon watching it on the television rather than at work, but I don't think I'll ever erase that image of the explosion and the boosters, shuttle, and main engine being blasted in different directions from my mind.

Disagreed with Reagan on absolutely every level, but the last paragraph of that speech just about summed it up.

....Disagreed with Reagan on absolutely every level, but the last paragraph of that speech just about summed it up.

The last sentence was taken from John Gillespie Magee, Jr's splendid sonnet High Flight - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gillespie_Magee,_Jr. My father was at school with Magee and pretty close to him. Somewhere I've got a very moving letter he got from Magee's parents after their son was killed in 1941, aged just 19, flying a Spitfire.

A similar quote to Reagan's from the beginning and end of the poem is on his gravestone, and I always think of him when I remember the Challenger astronauts.

Per Ardua ad Astra....