Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Bown

Australian Open Tennis

This seems to have happened without much attention focussed on it!

Andy Murray has a wonderful opportunity to win his first Grand Slam tournament after reaching the final with a semi final win

today. He'll play Djokovic in the final and will, surely, never have a better chance to win his first given that both Nadal and

Federer got knocked out.

That limp looked pretty evident when he was signing autographs, but other than the first set and a bit a convincing performance. Again.

Yes, well done Andy. :good:

I've been enjoying this tournament.

Everything crossed for Sunday !

B.

Fantastic for British Tennis-English Scottish Irish Welsh what does it matter. I have always supported the British Isles in all sports. :air_kiss:

C'mon Muzza! A win in the AU Open would surely help his belief, and a first Grand Slam would prove a point. Wimbledon is one step closer every day.

Hope he does it.. :)

This seems to have happened without much attention focussed on it!

Because he's not Dim Henman. Indeed, he's not English - and that's a fact.

Hope he does it.. :)

Because he's not Dim Henman. Indeed, he's not English - and that's a fact.

In the past, there have been threads and he hasn't done it, to be honest I was hoping there wouldn;t be a thread until later on Sunday as I didn't want to jinx it.

Anyway come on Andy, make this the first of many.

In the past, there have been threads and he hasn't done it,

I'm not getting at you directly J1 as you have quite clearly stated your support for Andy Murray.

In the past Mr Home Counties Timbers didn't even get to a single grand slam final. Big deal if Andy Murray doesn't win, he's still ten times the tennis player that Tim Henman ever was. Don't forget he's still only 23. Even if he wins later on today he will still have a monkey on his back in the form of "oooo, he didn't beat Nadal or the FedExpress on the way to winning it".

In the eyes of some sections of the English press he will never win.

Having said that if Andy wins it will be the greatest Scottish sporting victory since the GB/Scottish curlers won the gold medal at the Salt Lake Olympics on the 21st Feb 2002.

I think so much of Andy Murray that BoyCatchIII is called Murray after him; win or lose it will always be used as an inspiration for my son.

I absolutely don't get this crap about Murray not being English. I'll ignore Mondy, because he's just a small-minded bigoted moron who is so anti-English that he's fundamentally racist....but Murray is getting attention....as much as Henman would have done had he ever managed to get to a grand slam final. The only difference is Murray is at the Australian Open final, and that simply never receives that much attention because the average British sports fan only cares about tennis for two weeks a year starting at the end of June.

I think Murray in universally thought of as being a far superior player to Henman; in fact I don't think the two can really be compared in terms of ability. But what Henman managed to do, consistently, was make Wimbledon more interesting. When Murray got to the semis last year, I didn't notice any less attention than when Heman used to. I think this anti-Murray bias is just complete nonsense and utterly without merit. I also don't remember Henman EVER being referred to as "England's" number 1 tennis player, whereas Murray is frequently referred to as "Scotland's" number 1. I couldn't care that he is...but let's have some objectivity eh?

Perception's a funny thing.

I absolutely don't get this crap about Murray not being English. I'll ignore Mondy, because he's just a small-minded bigoted moron who is so anti-English that he's fundamentally racist....but Murray is getting attention....as much as Henman would have done had he ever managed to get to a grand slam final. The only difference is Murray is at the Australian Open final, and that simply never receives that much attention because the average British sports fan only cares about tennis for two weeks a year starting at the end of June.

I think Murray in universally thought of as being a far superior player to Henman; in fact I don't think the two can really be compared in terms of ability. But what Henman managed to do, consistently, was make Wimbledon more interesting. When Murray got to the semis last year, I didn't notice any less attention than when Heman used to. I think this anti-Murray bias is just complete nonsense and utterly without merit. I also don't remember Henman EVER being referred to as "England's" number 1 tennis player, whereas Murray is frequently referred to as "Scotland's" number 1. I couldn't care that he is...but let's have some objectivity eh?

Perception's a funny thing.

It doesn't really matter OON...Judging by what's happening on TV as I type, it doesn't matter of he's British, Scottish, Chinese, or Martian, he's still getting his backside kicked in a major final yet again, and throwing his teddies out of the cot as well...I wonder if there's too much carbon dioxide in the air down under, because from where I'm sitting, Murray's choking! :whistling:

Another glorious failure for Murray. Djokovic a class above and a fully deserved winner. I'm pleased too, Murray is like a spoilt teenager with his petulant outbursts.

To be fair though, he's done three times what Henman couldn't do once. And as for being petulant, believe me, Henman could be truly vile...I know first hand.....he just wasn't quite so obvious about it.

Tennis players by their nature are fairly unpleasant; it's that sort of sport and it's that sort of environment.

Awww, the 75 year wait goes on !

Djokovic was superb on the day I'm afraid.

B.

To be fair though, he's done three times what Henman couldn't do once. And as for being petulant, believe me, Henman could be truly vile...I know first hand.....he just wasn't quite so obvious about it.

Tennis players by their nature are fairly unpleasant; it's that sort of sport and it's that sort of environment.

True OON, the same can be said for most sportsmen, especially footballers.

There's no doubt Murray is a much better player than Henman ever was...but can he go on and win a Grand Slam? You'd have to think so.

Well, in the past 5 years, only eleven men have made it into a Grand Slam final, and Murray's done it three times, so I think that puts it into perspective.

Well, in the past 5 years, only eleven men have made it into a Grand Slam final, and Murray's done it three times, so I think that puts it into perspective.

Yeah but it's a huge step psychologically actually winning a grand slam event rather than just getting to the final, as you say he's far better than Henman in that account but can he actually win one? If he does I should think he'll go and win more. Look at Colin Montgomerie 8 times leader of the order of Merit on the European tour without winning one major and getting to a couple of play-offs without no success!, the same goes for Murray he has no problem winning small tour events but the big Daddy events is another thing and with the stigma of a brit not winning a grand slam event in umpteen years will just hang around his neck!

Murray is ranked 5th in the World, and played to that standard today. No disgrace in that, the question is what does he need to do in order to do that little bit better. Perhaps improve his coaching situation, as that could make a significant difference. The other thing is to improve his consistency on his serve, both in terms of his 1st Service percentage, and the quality of his 2nd serve. however these things are easy to say, hard to do.

Four people have won a men's grand slam singles title in the past 5 years. It's an incredibly difficult thing to do.

Well that was embarrassing. Very much man against boy and at times Murray so bad with his shots I wondered if he was carrying a injury. Also someone needs to remind him about mics can pick up his swearing if he's not careful the media will eventually pick this up and use it against him.

Well that was embarrassing. Very much man against boy and at times Murray so bad with his shots I wondered if he was carrying a injury. Also someone needs to remind him about mics can pick up his swearing if he's not careful the media will eventually pick this up and use it against him.

Why is a British man making it to a Grand slam final embarrassing?

Can't you post anything positive on this website about any subject?

Can't you post anything positive on this website about any subject?

I was talking about the performance not getting there. Clearly you didn't watch it or even watched some of Murray's games in the past hence the reason why I wondered if he was injured in some way.

no prizes for being 2nd..and as murray would probably tell you that as a professional sportsman he would take no pride in coming second no different to coming last. its all or nothing.

no prizes for being 2nd..and as murray would probably tell you that as a professional sportsman he would take no pride in coming second no different to coming last. its all or nothing.

Oh. I see.

Nonsense. He's defended his ranking points from last year, which makes getting into the Masters at the end of the year that bit easier, and makes the draws in future tournaments slightly more favourable by pretty much ensuring he avoids Federer, Nadal and Djokovic until at least the quarter finals or any event.

Of course winning is better, but in tennis, every round you get through makes a big difference to your year.