Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Australian Weather

SAB

Posted

Winteriest week of the year in Tasmania. Maybe snow close to sealevel in the Hobart area on Friday!

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, knocker said:

Looking good there Styx

Yep always nice to have a decent snow event and it settled very low in the west and north-west...Hobart missed out this time , prevailing wind from wrong direction. Thought you might find this an interesting post, it is the ore train on the historic Melba Line in Tasmania's north-west, transporting from the Roseberry mine, to the small industrial city of Burnie on the coast. Not sure how often the train gets snowbound but I think it's quite rare.

• Like 3

Posted

I want to get some more snow pictures in before it's too late! Something to savor perhaps, before the snow arrives proper in Europe.

At 860m... Cradle Mountain Hotel, Tasmania. Most of Tasmania's western side is forested, mountainous and sparsely populated, with remote forest and mining operations, the odd tourism lodge, and mountain passes. Maybe even thylacines

59b09d4e043d5_CradleMountain.thumb.png.21d24bf92e88fedc6a5c1f6a088c066c.png 

Having a tough time dealing with so much snow out there...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
6 hours ago, Styx said:

I want to get some more snow pictures in before it's too late! Something to savor perhaps, before the snow arrives proper in Europe.

At 860m... Cradle Mountain Hotel, Tasmania. Most of Tasmania's western side is forested, mountainous and sparsely populated, with remote forest and mining operations, the odd tourism lodge, and mountain passes. Maybe even thylacines

59b09d4e043d5_CradleMountain.thumb.png.21d24bf92e88fedc6a5c1f6a088c066c.png 

Having a tough time dealing with so much snow out there...

Wonderful photos to savoir !

C

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Wintery cold spells won't let go so easily in the south east of the country. Canberra had its third coldest September temperature last night of -6.1c ( average 3c ). It then rose to 17c.... 26c next weekend. There is 240cm of snow at Spencers Creek in the Alps at 1830m, the deepest measurement since 2000.

-------------

Canberra's lowest September temperatures ( records since 1939 ).

1......-6.8.....2012

2......-6.4.....1982

3......-6.1.....2017

4......-5.6.....1940

5......-5.4.....1939

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Heading to Melbourne next week.

Looks decent enough some of the time, up to high teens (Glasgow high summer!).

Posted

Heat drama underway. Bushfire threat in Australia's south already...that is a little bit unusual. BOM confident that today was the hottest September day on record averaged across Australia. On the weekend, September record or near record temperatures are possible from Alice Springs through to Sydney, Canberra up to Brisbane. An individual location in New South Wales and Queensland may break the September record for those states. I don't usually put up BOM's severe weather video forecasts, but this is extra interesting and for the record! 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm blown away by some of the temperatures I'm seeing this morning. The mid 20 degree readings at 4:50am in central Australia, western New South Wales and South Australia state are near 20 degrees above average for September. I thought the map wasn't updating and had to double check but nope they're right. They would be impressive even for summer.

59c55edbc805e_September23.thumb.png.3432bac7225e449a7c17d7b8367723b6.png

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2

Posted

Six locations in New South Wales broke the September record for that state today and two others tied with the old record. The high was 40.5c at Willcania in north-west NSW, they bettered the state record by 0.9c.

59c5fca73a4b5_NSWSeptemberrecords.thumb.png.257f4368cc92274a8845920d562c9e4d.png

The Sydney Morning Herald says that 40% of all sites in New South Wales ( which in area is three times the size of the United Kingdom ) broke their September record today. If that's not a reporting error - that is something amazing. The Sydney metro had temperatures ranging from 32.2c at the main site near the harbor, but 34-37c pretty much everywhere else, the top end temperatures are records.

Victoria set a new September record for that state too,  a high of 37.7c at Mildura, bettering the old state record by 0.3c. It was 30.6c in Melbourne ( fourth hottest September day and 13c above average )

59c5fe88068f1_VictoriaSeptemberrecord.thumb.png.67263449d0cc4b28dcd10d5797badb9c.png

----------------------------------

Lastly Canberra....

Canberra's highest September temperatures ( records since 1939 ):

2.....28.6.....1965...26th

5.....26.8.....1965...25th

Edited by Styx
  • Like 3

Posted

That's it for the heat in New South Wales. A remarkable weekend and one for the history books for the month of September in Australia. Meteorologist Blair Trewin says 80% of New South Wales spatial area is likely to have had a September record maximum on Saturday. A Special Climate Statement is coming.

The heat is piling into Queensland now. That state is likely to record its hottest September temperature too, on Tuesday or Wednesday, in the southern inland area. It needs to exceed 42.4c somewhere. Brisbane needs 38.3c for a record September high, a chance of that happening on Wednesday if a seabreeze doesn't cut in. I'll report back on those records if it happens, would be hard not to really.

On a more comfortable note Hobart looks certain to have its third colder than average month in a row ( 61-90 comparison and long-term average )...that hasn't happened since 2006! very nice.   

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Nearly 40c is forecast in Alice Springs on Wednesday that must be record breaking?

It's going to go very close! The September record is 38.8c in 2003. Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting 38 on Tuesday and 37 on Wednesday then it's going to come down. The average is 29c this time of year, Alice is +2c up on the maximum average this month but -2c below on the minimum average.

BoM are now forecasting the heat to make a re-entry into north-west New South Wales on Wednesday. They have forecast tops of 41 and 42c for some outback towns in that part of the state, like Bourke. NSW got their state record of 40.5c on Saturday, a big 0.9c leap from the old record, now there's a chance of adding another 2c on top of that.

Posted

Queensland does it joining New South Wales and Victoria in recording its hottest September temperature today. It was 42.8c at Birdsville a 0.4c rise from the previous monthly record for the state. One other location in southern Queensland beat the old record too and another one tied with it. There were numerous other readings of 41c in the south.

New South Wales beat its Saturday record ( 40.5 ) reaching 41.3 at Delta, in the north-west of the state. Another three towns exceeded 40c again which hadn't happened in September before Saturday in NSW. It now looks like the top 10 hottest September temperatures on record in New South Wales and maybe as many as 15 occurred on Saturday and today.

Alice Springs was 38.2c its third highest reading for September.

It's all over now for major state records. Brisbane may record its second hottest September day of 35c tomorrow but it'll be a battle between hot air drawing into the south-east of Queensland ahead of a cooler wind change progressing north and a seabreese. I have noticed in the past the seabreese often wins out when extreme heat is forecast for Brisbane city, slightly inland there is no issue that it is going to be very hot.

59cb515e9cdb6_SeptemberStateRecords.thumb.png.1bae2db8e605c4c3532eefdafcc9d578.png

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2

Posted

Brisbane's highest September temperatures ( records since 1889 )....average 26

3.....35.1.....2008 and 1912

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:55, Styx said:

It's going to go very close! The September record is 38.8c in 2003. Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting 38 on Tuesday and 37 on Wednesday then it's going to come down. The average is 29c this time of year, Alice is +2c up on the maximum average this month but -2c below on the minimum average.

BoM are now forecasting the heat to make a re-entry into north-west New South Wales on Wednesday. They have forecast tops of 41 and 42c for some outback towns in that part of the state, like Bourke. NSW got their state record of 40.5c on Saturday, a big 0.9c leap from the old record, now there's a chance of adding another 2c on top of that.

Thankyou for the updates , :) Of course  weather stations have grown up across the nation , so these temps have happened long before records began:)

witch.jpg

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
30 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Thankyou for the updates , :) Of course  weather stations have grown up across the nation , so these temps have happened long before records began:)

witch.jpg

Thanks for your interest, I have a lot of fun writing about the weather and looking at the statistics and records, everything can be found on the BoM website, great resource.

I agree,  it is entirely possible that record temperatures may have been exceeded before they had weather stations to record them! I believe I am correct in saying this, but there has been a fairly good network of weather stations since 1910 across Australia.. and newer stations have been added to the network.

It is the sheer number of significant heat record events compared to cold weather events since 2000 or so that suggests a big imbalance is going on. 

When the Special Climate Statement comes out take a read of it to judge the significance of what has just happened. I will put up a link on here when they release it. They'll list the dozens of records that fell and mention long the sites have been operating and they'll compare it with previous September events in terms of the area involved. I always think they are fair in how they analyse it all.

Whats the witch about anyway, am I meant to be seeing a secret message?! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well Indeed the witch is a precursor of lots of weather for you and me ,,,Enloy Buddy:yahoo:

laughxx.gif

H1.jpg

Posted

Hmm Ok.  Anyway, perhaps I should dedicate this mornings snowy scene from Hobart to you. We have no interest in absurd summer type heat this spring, down here. It is going to be a brisk morning at the market

59cec0c65d123_September30.thumb.png.ebe159b45c4ef20f10aa92cf71f3a35f.png

Posted

Here in the north we've officially moved into the wet season, but the dry season lived up to its name. This is BOM's summary of the dry season and a suggestion that La Niña might  develop during December.

Weekly Tropical Climate Note

3 October 2017 Next issue 10 October 2017

Dry season: warmest on record daytime temperatures for northern Australia

The northern dry season (May–September) of 2017 was characterised by record warm daytime temperatures and below-average rainfall. Averaged across northern Australia (north of 26 °S—a line that passes through the Northern Territory/South Australia border) the mean daily maximum temperature was 2.00 °C above average, the highest in 108 years of record, and well above previous record of +1.52 °C (2013). In all months of the 2017 dry season, daytime temperatures were at least 1 °C above the long-term average, and a number ranked in their respective top ten for northern Australia. These include: the warmest July (3.02 °C above the July average), 3rd-warmest August, 4th-warmest September, and 6th-warmest May on record. Additionally, the mean temperature (average of the maximum and minimum) in July also ranked as highest on record for July, with a monthly mean temperature anomaly of 2.41 °C. The significant heat was largely from the daytime temperatures, with the mean minimum temperature averaged across northern Australia during the dry season marginally above the long-term average.

The dry season is characterised by little rainfall across the northern regions of Australia. For 2017, rainfall across northern Australia was below average during the dry season (53% of the long-term average). There were two notable rainfall events in the period. A surface trough over northeastern Australia was associated with very heavy rainfall over the southern Cape York Peninsula and the Gulf Country of Queensland on the 18 and 19 May. Unseasonal rainfall was also observed on 9 and 10 July when a cloudband produced widespread rainfall totals in excess of 50 mm in the southern half of the Northern Territory.

Many northern Australian locations had their lowest rainfall on record for the 2017 dry season. Most notably, Darwin Airport had nil rain in the 5-month period, the first time since records commenced in 1941.

Cooling across tropical Pacific Ocean

For the past few months there has been sustained cooling of sea surface temperatures (SSTs) across much of the equatorial Pacific Ocean. In recent weeks, SSTs have been cooler than average in the eastern half of the equatorial Pacific Ocean, and close to average in the central to western equatorial Pacific. However, SSTs are still well within the neutral El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO) range.

All international climate models surveyed by the Bureau of Meteorology suggest further cooling of the tropical Pacific Ocean is likely. Five of the eight models suggest SSTs will cool to La Niña thresholds by December 2017, but only four maintain these values for long enough to be classified as a La Niña event.

It is not unprecedented for La Niña to develop this late in the year, however it is unusual. Of the four late-developing La Niña events on record, three have coincided with above-average wet season rainfall across northern Australia.

• Like 2

Posted

I took this shot from the satellite on Tuesday, zoomed in because the cloud waves ahead of the front grabbed my attention from the main shot. I don't know if anyone knows whats going on here, just by looking at it?

59ea554a104eb_Satellite17October.thumb.png.d9b871d783a6e8658497bf699ffed54c.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

lets hope the weather good for the rugby world cup that started today.the only world cup I watch,along with the cricket world cup.