Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Australian Weather

SAB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Yes but also the night time temp has been low for this time of year in Victoria from 11c overnight to 40c during the day. The high temps are not the only story here

So, what are you saying there, jonboy? That a more appropriate headline would read: MASS PANIC AS AUSSIE BLOKE NEEDS TWO DUVETS, AS 11C BIG FREEZE STRIKES THE SOUTHEAST!??

LOL!:wallbash:

Posted
37 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Yes but also the night time temp has been low for this time of year in Victoria from 11c overnight to 40c during the day. The high temps are not the only story here

Are you just referring to Melbourne's temperature range on Friday or for the heatwave across Australia this week, or Melbourne's averages for the month? On Friday Melbourne had an official temperature range of 13.7- 43.5. The minimum is actually average compared to 61-90 and the maximum near +19 above. Only the south-east corner of Australia had a coolish morning because a dry front came through yesterday followed by a clear calm night. Adelaide on the other hand had a minimum of 33.6c which is an all-time record. I didn't mention that because I didn't want to clutter things up with too much information. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

So, what are you saying there, jonboy? That a more appropriate headline would read: MASS PANIC AS AUSSIE BLOKE NEEDS TWO DUVETS, AS 11C BIG FREEZE STRIKES THE SOUTHEAST!??

LOL!:wallbash:

Nothing new or unexpected for someone who feels it necessary to capitalise in red and Laugh out loud. JUST PLAIN RUDE GROW UP 

And I don't change my profile name every two seconds

Edited by jonboy
  • Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Nothing new or unexpected for someone who feels it necessary to capitalise in red and Laugh out loud. JUST PLAIN RUDE GROW UP 

And I don't change my profile name every two seconds

I'm sorry, My Liege, for I have sinned...:oldlaugh:

Of course such minor concerns as out-of-control bushfires and widespread 45C+ temperatures (along with the obvious risks to life!) pale into insignificance, when compared to one solitary nighttime minimum of 11C...?

How could anyone be so stupid...as to think otherwise!:help:

Posted

Boeing 737 dumps fire retardant on edge of NSW town. Tomorrow I bring final numbers and maps on Australia heatwave which is coming to an end. It wasn't as hot as forecast in NSW today but many homes just couldn't be saved 

Edited by Styx
  • Like 3

Posted

Here's the latest from the Beeb, on what is clearly a worsening situation:

_110260543_058758469-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Firefighters tackle "catastrophic" blazes in New South Wales as residents are urged to stay at home.

Posted

Saturday recorded temperatures:

1258307362_December21last.thumb.png.9fe0ad187659c31196851503db3aa154.png

Extreme heat was concentrated mainly across New South Wales. NSW temperatures were a little lower than forecast and the cool change moving up from the south was less windy. An interesting weather phenomenon in Sydney basin - mid to high level smoke produced an insulating inversion for most of the day suppressing temperatures to 29c in the city and 41c in Sydney's west ( the forecast was 36-47c ). Just outside the Sydney area 45s were common. Canberra re-broke its December record. Three of the five hottest December days on record in Canberra occurred last week ( records since 1939 ).

Sunday and Christmas day forecast

1701902862_December22last.thumb.png.8b8d5278c5e6b46959c521e3a77e0b42.png636141908_December25last.thumb.png.b639228baabc6ab389fb38e11d63be7c.png

Extreme heat moving north and becoming very widespread. The Northern Territory record of 47.2c for December will probably be beat this week ( it came close last week). Extreme heat splintering south again from about the 30th.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
On 21/12/2019 at 10:23, Styx said:

Boeing 737 dumps fire retardant on edge of NSW town. Tomorrow I bring final numbers and maps on Australia heatwave which is coming to an end. It wasn't as hot as forecast in NSW today but many homes just couldn't be saved 

That was quite a sight and right on the heels of that prop plane. Even more impressive is the fact it looks to me like it's a McDonnell Douglas DC10 so considerably larger than a Boeing 737.

Posted

Best wishes to everyone this Christmas. A very nice gift of rainfall across coastal Queensland and scattered showers over the fireground in New South Wales early this morning. Not much but enough to calm things down a little. Not so pleasant in northern Australia with a 47.9c max at Rabbit Flat ( 340m asl ) in the Northern Territory. That is a December record for Northern Territory so another one to add to the list.  45.7c in Alice Springs ( 545m asl ) and that is also a December record for them.

367407392_December25new.thumb.png.54f017ab1a5267c8b4c43aeda2fac9f2.png

Posted

Good God. It doesn't stop. A hair's breadth of December records for Melbourne and Hobart on Monday. To have monthly heat records topple one after another across the entire country is simply alarming. More on these developments on Monday..

385528256_December30Hobart.thumb.png.3e219e3d50b711f791850d652173abae.png2115393442_December30Melbourne.thumb.png.8e0d9679b0afbb61588f4ed4dd139c64.png

• Like 1

Posted

As of 4pm a maximum of 40.8c ( +21 above average ) and a December record. Many heat records across Tasmania including Tasmania's highest recorded temperature for December. More to come...   

• Like 3

Posted

Monday's recorded temperatures

1372013764_December30new.thumb.png.f668f36b4cab1b64a1e75ab7a848d184.png

Last map in series adding Tasmania to the long-list of records set across the country this month. Almost every district in Tasmania had a weather station that broke its December record yesterday ( from north to south, highlands, coastal and inland ). The extreme maximum was 41.9c at Friendly Beaches on the east coast. Unfortunately just 23 years of records from that site. Nevertheless Hobart's 40.8c broke the long-standing Tasmania record set in Hobart way back in 1897 of 40.6c.  Every few years ( at best ) Tasmania will nudge 40c somewhere - almost always in the inner south-east or midlands. It's much rarer for Hobart due to sea breeze. It was actually blowing in lightly at times yesterday causing a temperature yo-yo.  The Hobart max was the equal second hottest temperature for any month ( tie with Jan 1976 ) and behind 41.8c of Jan 2013. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I was wondering how much effect the fires were having locally or you could say megasize Heat island effect. An eight degree increase in ten minutes is very impressive. I wonder if anybody is actually tracking the extra heat and see how much it is adding to the already hot weather. The CBC doesn't say how close the fires were went the temperature went up. Considering one is the size of Belgium that's quite a large heater.

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

I was wondering how much effect the fires were having locally or you could say megasize Heat island effect. An eight degree increase in ten minutes is very impressive. I wonder if anybody is actually tracking the extra heat and see how much it is adding to the already hot weather. The CBC doesn't say how close the fires were went the temperature went up. Considering one is the size of Belgium that's quite a large heater.

Distances way too big. The serious fires making the news right now are in northern Victoria and southern NSW -  about 1500km / 900 miles from Hobart. The mega-fire you refer to is another fire altogether, to the west of Sydney and much further north (  the size quoted in the media includes burnt out area as well as bushland that is still burning ). The length of the fire front though is massive which makes it hard to stop its advance toward Sydney western suburbs. The reason the temperature in Hobart jumped suddenly was because of seabreeze dying out. I made mention of that in my previous post. The Tasmania maximum was actually 41.9c on the east coast. Here is Hobart's temperatures on the 30th showing the north wind taking out the seabreeze here :

252761577_December30Hobart.thumb.png.8407e4e30cbc9bf8a5cd7bc13dca64ae.png   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ah so CBS news getting it wrong should have known.

Posted
10 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Ah so CBS news getting it wrong should have known.

Not really but how bad is the mainstream media when they appear to make stuff up. Seems to me someone in the newsroom was trying to link together a couple of unrelated pieces of information without seeking out the facts. I think your question was pretty interesting.  Did you see the photo of thousands of people escaping to the beach in the town of Mallacoota ( north-east Victoria ) as a fire front came past. I just pulled this off the BoM weather site showing the temperature at Mallacoota on Tuesday morning. Not sure where the weather station is in relation to the beach. BoM doesn't validate artificial heat influences in weather readings so day won't end up counting in teh end.

Mallacoota.thumb.png.639b6b1573b18d7db13fa53ef9e66abb.png 

temp/app temp/dew point/humidity/delta-T/wind speed and gust km/hr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Can any of the weather conditions be attributed to the Antarctic SSW? It's crazy! I have a few friends over there with PWS's and I frequent their sites to see what they are recording - some crazy stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Can any of the weather conditions be attributed to the Antarctic SSW? It's crazy! I have a few friends over there with PWS's and I frequent their sites to see what they are recording - some crazy stuff!

Looks like that coupled with the Indian Ocean dipole have contributed towards the heat 

Also a large "blob" of warm water near New Zealand 

WWW.NZHERALD.CO.NZ

Patch of water bigger than New Zealand has temperatures six degrees warmer than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
7 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Searched up pyrocumulonimbus clouds on YouTube, and I found this video.

It's jaw dropping and deadly at the same time.

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

WTF has the government only just called the military in?

I am no fan of the conservative government but they did react straight away when the state governments requested military/naval assistance yesterday, to evacuate people stranded along the coast and to bring in vital supplies. Those fires were a sudden development.

I am really interested to see if this seemingly never-ending weather tragedy ( 1500+ homes lost, 20 lives, huge ecological toll ) will create a profound social and political shift when it comes to climate change policy. So far no words along those lines from conservative MPs or even Labor opposition - who after losing the recent election have taken a step back from their progressive environmental platform, having lost the vote of their traditional working class base. Similar political dynamic as UK election result. 

Anyway this was today's cartoon in my local newspaper ( News Corp too ). Something seems to be stirring beneath the surface...

Cartoon.thumb.png.2a0b2e338dda0de888f76a3bade03b70.png

• Like 1