Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Andy Gray And Richard Keys.

I see the dynamic due have been dropped for one game on sky over their comments over women official's. I was under the impression that any official doesn't know the offside law regardless of sex.

I see the dynamic due have been dropped for one game on sky over their comments over women official's. I was under the impression that any official doesn't know the offside law regardless of sex.

Yes given the way commentators and managers question the competency of officials almost every game, men can't be very good either.

womens spatial awareness is less than mens hence they are crap at parking cars etc so would be no good at running the line..plus the fact they are more concrened with whether the match will finish before the shops close so they can look at those shoes and handbag they have been thinking about all game. :wallbash:

womens spatial awareness is less than mens hence they are crap at parking cars etc so would be no good at running the line..plus the fact they are more concrened with whether the match will finish before the shops close so they can look at those shoes and handbag they have been thinking about all game. :wallbash:

You're not Andy G are you???

You're not Andy G are you???

No, I think he's talking about me. He did also fail to mention that male officials are poor because they spend far to much time thinking their signalling flag is bigger than it actually is, I guess that’s male spatial awareness for you.

Let's be honest, nobody fully understands the offside rule in its current form.

You forgot to mention that we'd be worried about how our hair looks, and whether the shorts make our bums look big.

Disappointing comments by Gray and Keys. I've never likes Andy Gray anyway; his commentary makes me want to tear my own ears off and eat them so I don't have to listen to him.

I think that the referee was very happy with his assistant referee's performance though.

He said that she ironed the kits very well and that the half time sandwiches were delicious!

Why is this thread not called "Richard Keys and co"?

Radio 5 Live currently spouting out the "discrimination card".. A self-styled feminist has arrived. God helps us!

Gray & Keys made a mistake (off mic) the same way Gordon Brown did when he was headline news for saying "bigotted woman"..

*M'Lady- I'm sure your bum looks just great in any shorts. But, eating ears?! :mellow:

I realy find this thread slightly odd. It is without question completelty biased. Gray and Key were out of order. Interestingly when AG was playing he didn't have a problem putting his boot in an opponents mouth and now suddenly he has filled his own. Are we going back to the old days when talking about black footballers. I must admit I find some of the comments on here very offensive.

Mrs Kar999 made some comment about women being able to multi-task so should be able to keep their eye on both the ball and the players at the same time rather than just one or the other like men.

She also made some comment about not having to waste time scratching their gonads before making a decision. It was at this point that I reminded her that womens feet were smaller than mens so they can stand closer to the kitchen sink. :whistling::bomb::help:

Well, all I can say is that you're lucky that we dropped the negative rep system!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9371642.stm

There is always an uneasy tradeoff between avoiding discrimination and clamping down too hard on jokes/banter, but this is one instance where the comments did go too far- even if they weren't meant seriously they strike me as having distinctly ugly undertones and were also pretty personal. I think the punishment (in effect a one-match ban) was about right given that it was intended to be off-air.

I'm not a big fan of Andy Gray either- he is often over-critical of match officials, including a few cases when I saw him blast a refereeing decision which, upon replay evidence, turned out to be correct.

I don't like Andy Gray. Despite the fact I absolutely hate Wolves, he was loving Liverpool at every single opportunity during that match. A Big 4 lover if ever I saw one.

I am not sure wether to laugh or cry over this tbh? It's humorous in that we all know the old jokes its not like any cat has been let out of the bag. In fact you can teach a women the offside rule you just have to change the football to a handbag in a sale and they pick it up no problem :)

The crying bit is that so many people have gone PC crazy, you cannot say or do anything anymore in case you offend someone or something. If its not women, its ethnic minorities, or religion or short people, its all just plain stupid and for those people who think the comments were highly offensive, I say go get a life. If I got offended every time a women said something about football which could be seen as sexist I would I would be one sad git.

Sky were right to slap them across the knuckles as you don't do it on air, but I really think it says more about the people that get seriously offended. It comes down to chips on shoulders more then anything else.

For Gowd sake there are people starving to death in this world, get offended over that won't you :wallbash:

Personally I don’t believe the pair of them were joking, they thought they were off air and were expressing what they patently believe to be true. Given the frequent expressions of the inadequacies of male match officials by managers, commentators and pundits, it came across as not just sexist, but rather crass.

I don't like Andy Gray. Despite the fact I absolutely hate Wolves, he was loving Liverpool at every single opportunity during that match. A Big 4 lover if ever I saw one.

Andy Gray likes Liverpool? Have I crossed into a parallel universe or something?

Personally I don’t believe the pair of them were joking, they thought they were off air and were expressing what they patently believe to be true. Given the frequent expressions of the inadequacies of male match officials by managers, commentators and pundits, it came across as not just sexist, but rather crass.

I agree. I don't like political-correctness, but they sure as hell didn't sound like they were joking to me. The big irony is that Sian Massey has had extensive training and experience to become the qualified official she is, whereas Keys and Gray have done nothing but snipe from the sidelines ever since they showed up on Sky all those years ago. They represent the very epitome of overblown opinions and hype which has plagued football since the Sky era began, and I for one won't cry if they were to disappear altogether (though unfortunately I think that's very wishful thinking).

Total sexism, if they said similar comments about blacks to a black referee they wouldn't have a job now simply as that.

I also think that the crossed over from simple banter when they brought Karen Brady into it, at that point it went from being a bit of sillyness to plain simply sexism IMO.

It's a shame that the phrase "PC" has come into it as it's nothing to do with it. It's simply an out of order comment that shows them for what they are and shows how they treat/view officials even before game starts, it also shows football for what it is as well.

Pair of them are a disgrace.

Been told by a close source (in Sky Sports) they have both been sacked...

I agree. I don't like political-correctness, but they sure as hell didn't sound like they were joking to me. The big irony is that Sian Massey has had extensive training and experience to become the qualified official she is, whereas Keys and Gray have done nothing but snipe from the sidelines ever since they showed up on Sky all those years ago. They represent the very epitome of overblown opinions and hype which has plagued football since the Sky era began, and I for one won't cry if they were to disappear altogether (though unfortunately I think that's very wishful thinking).

Didn't Keys used to present TV-am or something else that only women watched before the Sky/Premiership machine took off, and suddenly decided he knew everything about football?

To be honest it all seems a bit storm-in-a-teacup ish to me, it's notable that the one person who hasn't commented on the story is the official herself. Suggests to me she was happy enough proving Gray and Keys wrong by being proved right re. the offside decision.

I think the general rule in these situations is that our media tends to blow it out of proportion, and you always get a polarisation of opinion towards two extremes, "X should be given the maximum possible punishment" at one extreme and "PC gone mad" at the other. In most cases the real truth lies somewhere in between.

What I find refreshing about this case is that those in authority seem to have made a well-balanced judgement, rightly giving them a punishment but also not making it OTT.

funny how this is a service you all pay for yet you are moaning about it. don't pay if you don't like it.

personally, i couldn't give a monkeys - i go to games, not listen to a few tobys on the telly or the radio.

but anyone who's surprised by this incident needs to wake up. quickly. EVERYONE i've spoken to about it found it funny - season ticket holders at chelsea, spurs, west ham, millwall. real football fans, in my view. even women i've spoken to agreed, to some extent, that it was funny.

some questions i guess that have now been raised:

will sky's - and the wider press's - reaction to the incident set a precedent in criticism of female officials in the future?

and perhaps more importantly now, should female officials be involved in the men's version game?

funny how this is a service you all pay for yet you are moaning about it. don't pay if you don't like it.

I don't.

will sky's - and the wider press's - reaction to the incident set a precedent in criticism of female officials in the future?

You mean not judging female officials before the game has even started? I'd like to think so.

and perhaps more importantly now, should female officials be involved in the men's version game?

I see no reason why not.

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather