Sign in to follow this  
BornFromTheVoid

Running, Weight Training, Nutrition

Haha, it's acceptable on a bulk....

I tend to avoid going way over, been aiming for 200/250 calories above maintenance each day (why do you eat more on training than rest days? You can build muscle for about 48 hours after a workout so...)

Been far less fat bulking by 250 than 500 cal a day and yet good muscle gains so seems to be the way to go.

I read (through various studies referenced by a person on reddit) that about 420 calories is the best amount to cut by, and more starts to contribute to muscle loss.

Ah, ok.

Mine would probably be like 10. Could I run at 9k/hr for 6 mins, probably not haha.

My endurance is definitely increased though ie tiredness after a full day. I'm riding the horses for a couple hours most days, with the same or similar frequency I'm working out 70-90 mins per session.

Playing Golf once a week, walking the dogs 1 hour a day and working (light/moderate physical exertion) 4 hours on week days.

So some days are tiring tbh with you. However, ask me to run for > 5 mins and I'd be dead.

Maybe once I'm back at uni with a really good gym and can get going on the treadmill :)

While you can continue to build muscle for around 48 hours after you've worked out (provided you gotten through enough volume), the rate of protein synthesis drops off during that time so you don't need as many calories above maintenance. By the time I'm up to the full amount of calories, I'll be having say 450kcal extra on a Friday (workout day), 300kcal extra on a Saturday (rest day) and 100kcal extra on Sunday (2nd rest day), then back to 450kcal extra on Monday (workout day).

Yeah, the slower your build muscle, the less fat you gain. But I want to make the most out this bulking phase and ensure my body usually has enough kcals and protein, which usually means taking in a little more than I need to be safe.

Similar with cutting, the slower you lose weight, the less muscle you lose. But as long as you keep protein level high and keep eating above you BMR, muscle loss should be quite slow in general. Being incredibly careful about not losing muscle is more something a competitive bodybuilder might have to do in the run up to a competition but most people in general can be more lax. And with muscle memory, you'll always regain that muscle and strength you lost very quickly.

Id love a good rowing machine now (maybe xmas!), a good form of cardio that doesn't just focus on the legs. Building up fitness takes a while, but it is rewarding, just like gaining strength.

While you can continue to build muscle for around 48 hours after you've worked out (provided you gotten through enough volume), the rate of protein synthesis drops off during that time so you don't need as many calories above maintenance. By the time I'm up to the full amount of calories, I'll be having say 450kcal extra on a Friday (workout day), 300kcal extra on a Saturday (rest day) and 100kcal extra on Sunday (2nd rest day), then back to 450kcal extra on Monday (workout day).

Yeah, the slower your build muscle, the less fat you gain. But I want to make the most out this bulking phase and ensure my body usually has enough kcals and protein, which usually means taking in a little more than I need to be safe.

Similar with cutting, the slower you lose weight, the less muscle you lose. But as long as you keep protein level high and keep eating above you BMR, muscle loss should be quite slow in general. Being incredibly careful about not losing muscle is more something a competitive bodybuilder might have to do in the run up to a competition but most people in general can be more lax. And with muscle memory, you'll always regain that muscle and strength you lost very quickly.

Id love a good rowing machine now (maybe xmas!), a good form of cardio that doesn't just focus on the legs. Building up fitness takes a while, but it is rewarding, just like gaining strength.

Fair enough. Too much effort haha, I prefer to just consistently bulk (although I take the point about a second rest day, I usually do stuff on the weekend so they are never proper 'rest' days for me).

Yeah, true but I want the best results possible. So I'm not going to bother like a competitive bodybuilder but may as well do the best you can.

I'm going to Maga like I said before so hence I'm trying my upmost to look the best I can (a year too early for anything decent) and then I'll care a bit less on my return.

The drinking will be much more frequent etc so progress will slow as I'll have to keep cutting. Still, should make progress and then be in a much stronger position come next summer.

I'd love a rowing machine too but do not have a garage or area suitable for such large equipment. I use the spare room (ground floor thankfully) to lift weights in.

I'd be happier in the knowledge that it was a concrete floor without carpet but since it's ground floor it should be able to take a hit.

If I could grow a money tree and wasn't a poor student with a £325 a month rent up the road then maybe I could by a full Olympic set or £250-300. If I could get that plus a leg press, lat pull down and pull up bar I'd be set.

Don't really see why people (who have money) spend £40 plus, a month on gym membership.

For £1,000 I could also buy a power rack plus all those aforementioned things.

No need for the Gym again. All at your own convenience.

Updated table..

264lb (Start)
May 2010: -3lb 
June 2010: -2lb (259lb - Lowest)
Q3 2010: +8lb 
Q4 2010: +7lb

Q1 2011: +10lb
Q2 2011: +/- 0lb
Q3 2011: +5lb
Q4 2011: +1lb

Q1 2012: +12lb
Q2 2012: -9lb
Q3 2012: -13lb
Q4 2012: +3lb

Q1-Q3 2013: +22lb

October 2013-March 2014: +26lb

March 2014-May 2014: +10lb 

May 2014-July 2014: +16lb (Peak - 357lb)

Q3 2014: -32lb (325lb)

Q4 2014: +5lb 

Q1 2015: +16lb 

Q2 2015: -1lb

July 15: -13lb

2010: +10lb (274lb)

2011: +16lb (290lb)

2012: -7lb (283lb)

2013: +22lb (Jan-Sep) (305lb) - +35lb extrapolated for the year with an end of 318lb.

2014: -1lb (March-Dec) (330lb) - +12lb extrapolated for the year with the extra first quarter. 

Total: +68lb (332lb-264lb)
Target Loss - 151lb (332lb-181lb)
Current Weight: 332lb 

-13lb

So during July i ate pretty well (not incredibly healthy but i mean in terms of calories and sticking to 3 meals per day of reasonable portions) however the amount of exercise was relatively limited. I expected a loss but one in line with the 2012 losses which were largely limited exercise but decent meals as opposed to the 2014 exercise plus meals losses (walked most days with the dogs for a mile or two), this meant i was expecting a loss of 4-8lb (1-2lb per week) however i'm pleased to say that i've come in 13lb down. This also means that 2015 to date is only +2lb and that i'm the lightest since December.  

If you look at my statistics at the bottom you can also see that i've been hard at work calculating the start total and annual gains/losses.

As an aside i also looked up some other records of mine and found that the last time i was in the average range for 6'4 (sub 196lb) was 2007. It really hit me with the women in 2010 once i passed about 250lb, that was about the time i think that most of my clothes stopped fitting. 

Just done a few quick calculations as well.. 3lb further loss puts me at the lowest since Oct 14, 8lb further loss puts me at the lowest since Sep 13. All being well then i should be the lowest in 2 years in a month or two. 

Just done a few quick calculations as well.. 3lb further loss puts me at the lowest since Oct 14, 8lb further loss puts me at the lowest since Sep 13. All being well then i should be the lowest in 2 years in a month or two.

That's good :)

May I ask, what you attribute as to why the weight went quite drastically from 2010 onwards?

If you can identify the root cause(s) then hopefully you can find a solution which will allow to lose the weight and to keep it off.

That's good :)

May I ask, what you attribute as to why the weight went quite drastically from 2010 onwards?

If you can identify the root cause(s) then hopefully you can find a solution which will allow to lose the weight and to keep it off.

Well the increase has been longer than that, 1-2 stone per year from 06-14 (about 14 stone in total), it's just that my starting point was underweight and i ended up tall (peaked at 6'4 at 19 in 08). Mainly i was always greedy and could out eat everybody i knew because i walked places. Once i started working (especially bar work) i ate more takeaways (huge portions too) and stopped doing even light exercise for the most part. At first it was no concern being skinny and even chubby it never affected me with women so i suppose i never really had the motivation to stop it until too late. 

I can lose weight simply by avoiding takeaways but i need to increase the exercise. 

Well the increase has been longer than that, 1-2 stone per year from 06-14 (about 14 stone in total), it's just that my starting point was underweight and i ended up tall (peaked at 6'4 at 19 in 08). Mainly i was always greedy and could out eat everybody i knew because i walked places. Once i started working (especially bar work) i ate more takeaways (huge portions too) and stopped doing even light exercise for the most part. At first it was no concern being skinny and even chubby it never affected me with women so i suppose i never really had the motivation to stop it until too late. 

I can lose weight simply by avoiding takeaways but i need to increase the exercise.

Fair enough. Yeah, takeaways and alcohol ruin any diet.

You just need to get that regular exercise as you say. Gym membership or even frequent walking, running should shift some weight :)

Good stuff SB. Hopefully you can keep it up. And don't forget the importance of weight training or some kind of resistance work. It can help maintain your muscle mass and your metabolism while losing weight. That way you'll lose a larger proportion of fat compared to muscle.

I'm now about 6 weeks into the bulk, but gaining weight much slower than expected. I'm going to keep the calorie intake the same for 1 more week, and if I don't start gaining at the expected rate, then I'll have to up the calories a bit more.

qah2XJk.png

Still just doing short distance runs (up to about 6km) while my SI joint recovers from whatever bothered it a few weeks ago. I'm still progressing well on most exercises. I managed 3 sets of 12 wide grip pull ups last week, and I can do a few 1 handed push ups now. Handstand push ups are still progressing slowly, as is the planche work.

Impressive BFTP, 3 x 12 wide-grip pull ups sound difficult. I need to think about how I could do pull ups, need something to do them on...

Went to Magaluf so that destroyed my liver and put on fat obviously aswell as muscle loss.

Not that much muscle loss really, more fat gain around waist, taking my bf% from 10/11 to 12/13. Going to try and shift that weight gained before going on a bulk for the foreseeable.

Freshens week is 3rd week of September so the alcohol will screw me but at least I have access to a gym up there.

The classic Body building 6/2 (6 week bulk, two cut) will be run from now on, maybe more 5/3 due to alcohol. Aim to be 11 stone by the end of winter (nothing drastic) and slowly edge towards 11 stone at 10% bf by mid next summer. I might do better than that idk.

Tbh, the week off (just used it as a deload week) has been a good thing for me. I don't feel particularly weaker and infact, more rested.

DOMS have hit hard though on both workouts this week.

A world of stiffness.

As an aside -

I thought I'd been making good progress since starting. My friends commented that I looked 'built' and a girl said 'do you play rugby' yet seemingly every 18-30 person was bigger than me.

Many dwarfed me.

I suppose lots of 'lads' lift but it was surprising just how many did and clearly or how long they had been lifting.

The bouncers dwarfed them though, clearly on juice and 22 stone plus... Never seen scarier or bigger people in my life. Reminded me of a cross between Ross Kemp and a bull. Ridiculous.

Impressive BFTP, 3 x 12 wide-grip pull ups sound difficult. I need to think about how I could do pull ups, need something to do them on...

Went to Magaluf so that destroyed my liver and put on fat obviously aswell as muscle loss.

Not that much muscle loss really, more fat gain around waist, taking my bf% from 10/11 to 12/13. Going to try and shift that weight gained before going on a bulk for the foreseeable.

Freshens week is 3rd week of September so the alcohol will screw me but at least I have access to a gym up there.

The classic Body building 6/2 (6 week bulk, two cut) will be run from now on, maybe more 5/3 due to alcohol. Aim to be 11 stone by the end of winter (nothing drastic) and slowly edge towards 11 stone at 10% bf by mid next summer. I might do better than that idk.

Tbh, the week off (just used it as a deload week) has been a good thing for me. I don't feel particularly weaker and infact, more rested.

DOMS have hit hard though on both workouts this week.

A world of stiffness.

As an aside -

I thought I'd been making good progress since starting. My friends commented that I looked 'built' and a girl said 'do you play rugby' yet seemingly every 18-30 person was bigger than me.

Many dwarfed me.

I suppose lots of 'lads' lift but it was surprising just how many did and clearly or how long they had been lifting.

The bouncers dwarfed them though, clearly on juice and 22 stone plus... Never seen scarier or bigger people in my life. Reminded me of a cross between Ross Kemp and a bull. Ridiculous.

Steady progress continues in general, but weight still going up much slower than expected despite averaging more than 3,200kcal/day over the last 2 weeks. I've bumped the daily intake up by 100kcal/day this week, so I'll see if that makes much of a difference.

csQKy6D.png

Got 3 sets of 8 wide grip pull ups with 4.8kg ankle weights yesterday. Will have to add in a backpack next week. Got 3 sets of 8 one arm arm push ups too with a wide leg stance, so good progress there too. Handstand push ups still going slowly, can do a few full ones using the wall for balance, but it's tough.

I use a pull up bar that slots over the door frame, so no drilling required. Works quite well. Throw some resistance bands around it and you can us it for assisted exercises, like one arm push up, single leg squat or things like standing ab crunch and tricep pulldowns too. 

I don't know if I could do the 6/2 thing. I prefer to get into a routine and stick with it for a while. I really thought they would have largely faded by now, but I'm still getting DOMS, especially after legs. Suppose it shows you don't need a gym to punish your muscles!

Are your lifts increasing despite the lack of weight gain?

Yep, most exercises are improving. But seeing as I'm not weight lifting, it's hard to guage the strength gains as accurately.

I am gaining weight too, just much slower than I'd expected. I've only gained a little under 2lbs in the last 8 weeks, when I should have gained about 4.5lbs.

Steady progress continues in general, but weight still going up much slower than expected despite averaging more than 3,200kcal/day over the last 2 weeks. I've bumped the daily intake up by 100kcal/day this week, so I'll see if that makes much of a difference.

csQKy6D.png

Got 3 sets of 8 wide grip pull ups with 4.8kg ankle weights yesterday. Will have to add in a backpack next week. Got 3 sets of 8 one arm arm push ups too with a wide leg stance, so good progress there too. Handstand push ups still going slowly, can do a few full ones using the wall for balance, but it's tough.

I use a pull up bar that slots over the door frame, so no drilling required. Works quite

well. Throw some resistance bands around it and you can us it for assisted exercises, like one arm push up, single leg squat or things like standing ab crunch and tricep pulldowns too. 

I don't know if I could do the 6/2 thing. I prefer to get into a routine and stick with it for a while. I really thought they would have largely faded by now, but I'm still getting DOMS, especially after legs. Suppose it shows you don't need a gym to punish your muscles!

Your weight should soon start to rise.

I just aim for 250 above maintenance so today that's like 2,800 calories but yesterday 3,650. Is your exercise constant? As eating the same amount of calories each day may work for you at better if you keep exercise fairly constant. My exercise is very erratic (excluding workouts).

I can't stick with either putting in weight or losing. I get restless so hence 6/2 or 5/3 will work well for me (I hope).

Started bulking now, DOMS are real.

Should have a > 100kg deadlift for 3 sets of 5 by Uni. (17 days). Or pretty close to that. My 1RM must be 115 or even 120kg if I achieve that.

I wanted a more reasonable deadlift before uni so that goal is slowly being fulfilled (Still woeful).

Are your lifts increasing despite the lack of weight gain?

You talking to him or me?

Applicable to both and I think the answer is the same.

His recent check up suggested he has...

Edit: I see he already replied.

Haven't got much to report 'gain wise' as it feels like the last 4/5 weeks have been a constant cut with Maga in the middle killing all my fat loss and even more muscle.

So lifts have remained constant but this week they have increased. Up about 5-10% on all lifts since June time which is good as I've been cutting.

Hopefully really push on now!

Just read way back in this thread...

There are loads of people that no longer post in here so that's something of note.

Shame about your joints BFTP as I did to realise you were so strong ie 145kg deadlift, 47.5kg overhead press...

I'm well short of those values if i'm honest.

Glad I didn't start posting until recently as god forbid what rubbish I would have written.

My first post states that I'm only looking to 'look better and feel healthier' ie that stupid 'tone up' phrase.

Stuff that, I'm looking to reach my genetic potential so somewhere in the region of 180 pounds, lean ie 8% bf.

Perhaps that's beyond my natural ability but that's why I'm chasing. 190 pounds at 12-15% bf.

This may take 6 - 10 years.

Don't think I'd ever take steroids though even if reaching a plateau or wall at 170+ pounds lean proved frustrating.

However, if anybody things people like Jeff Seid, Lazar Angelov and Dwayne Johnson are natural... They aren't bro!

Im solid again, now a sturdy 186 lbs @ 5 ft 11 in.

(13 stone approx)

Been lifting heavy and running power miles. Managed to get my mile time down from 7:05 to 4:35.

For stats...

Waist: 34"

Chest: 48"

Thighs: 27"

Calves: 16"

Upper arms: 14.6"

Weight: 186 lbs

Reasting heartrate 43 bpm.

I just need to quit the damn fags now.

I feel i have hit genetic max now. Weight 221lbs @ 14% bf

Waist: 35

Chest: 52

Thighs: 27 3/8"

Calves 18

Upper arm R 17.2 L 16.8

Heart at rest 39 bpm

I quit smoking and can really push on my lifts now. I'm a squat freak, 310 lbs for 12 reps

I do not bench press, i value my shoulders, dips are king.

I'm taking time out now, let the system climb down. I'll have good muscle memory when i return.

• Like 1

I feel i have hit genetic max now. Weight 221lbs @ 14% bf

Waist: 35

Chest: 52

Thighs: 27 3/8"

Calves 18

Upper arm R 17.2 L 16.8

Heart at rest 39 bpm

I quit smoking and can really push on my

lifts now. I'm a squat freak, 310 lbs for 12 reps

I do not bench press, i value my shoulders, dips are king.

I'm taking time out now, let the system climb down. I'll have good muscle memory when i return.

Very, very impressive.

You're the size I want to be, well maybe a few% bf leaner.

Why the break? For the 'system to shutdown?' Don't understand....

Well done for quitting smoking! :)

If you cut to 8-10% bf it would be easier to see how much you can still grow.

Any progress form here will be fairly slow.

Infact, yeah, I reckon you are almost maxed. Never know though, maybe another 7 pounds of lean mass left but that's it. So if you cut now to 8% bf you'd be 205 roughly. 210 may be achievable but that's it. No more I'd say (naturally).

Very impressive.

How long you been training?

May I ask how old you are?

Finally, do people really notice your size? Like people must surely comment how big you are...

Much mirin' going on here anyway...

Edit: size wise maxed but I think you could squat more. A friend of mine who hasn't been training that long can squat 165kg (365 pounds in old money) for 5 reps. 180kg is the bench mark for most powerlifters. 120 bench, 180 squat, 220 dead is usually decent levels to hit of you're powerlifting.

Edited by SW Saltire

Very, very impressive.

You're the size I want to be, well maybe a few% bf leaner.

Why the break? For the 'system to shutdown?' Don't understand....

Well done for quitting smoking! :)

If you cut to 8-10% bf it would be easier to see how much you can still grow.

Any progress form here will be fairly slow.

Infact, yeah, I reckon you are almost maxed. Never know though, maybe another 7 pounds of lean mass left but that's it. So if you cut now to 8% bf you'd be 205 roughly. 210 may be achievable but that's it. No more I'd say (naturally).

Very impressive.

How long you been training?

May I ask how old you are?

Finally, do people really notice your size? Like people must surely comment how big you are...

Much mirin' going on here anyway...

Edit: size wise maxed but I think you could squat more. A friend of mine who hasn't been training that long can squat 165kg (365 pounds in old money) for 5 reps. 180kg is the bench mark for most powerlifters. 120 bench, 180 squat, 220 dead is usually decent levels to hit of you're powerlifting.

I have trained v hard since i was 21, i am now 38. I really need a break. Yes get stared at a lot, my own fault for wearing slim fit t shirts. I'm lucky, very Mesomorphic. I gain muscle when i sneeze. I tend to rep higher rather than sheer weight. I have managed 670 lbs on incline leg press machine, could not walk for 10 days. Tell me, why does muscle attract just large ladies?

I have trained v hard since i was 21, i am now 38. I really need a break. Yes get stared at a lot, my own fault for wearing slim fit t shirts. I'm lucky, very Mesomorphic. I gain muscle when i sneeze. I tend to rep higher rather than sheer weight. I have managed 670 lbs on incline leg press machine, could not walk for 10 days. Tell me, why does muscle attract just large ladies?

Dedication.

Fair enough, how long are you taking a break for? Weeks or months?

You might find after a couple weeks off that you want to go again.

I can imagine the staring, slim and almost 16 stone at only 5'11. Christ.

You sure you aren't on juice? (Joking)

Yeah, me too. Lifting for reps has far less injury risk associated with it than pushing yourself to complete max.

Does it? I think it attracts a lot of ladies... If you were 21 at that size.....

Dedication.

Fair enough, how long are you taking a break for? Weeks or months?

You might find after a couple weeks off that you want to go again.

I can imagine the staring, slim and almost 16 stone at only 5'11. Christ.

You sure you aren't on juice? (Joking)

Yeah, me too. Lifting for reps has far less injury risk associated with it than pushing yourself to complete max.

Does it? I think it attracts a lot of ladies... If you were 21 at that size.....

Time out til my 40 th i think. I think i had better get some pics up here. Theres a pic of me at 22 on the mugshot thread.

Fair enough, I wonder how much muscle you'll retain. Be interesting to know.

I had seen that photo actually earlier in the thread.

Maybe in a few years when there is a noticeable difference, I'll post comparison photos. Only up a stone though so no point!

I have reached the magical tipping point where by i would find it very hard to gain fat. I am not sure how my daily calories look but, I've been on full fat gomad (gallon of milk a day) since april. This is a super easy way to get mega calories down the gullet. This is circa 2300 kals per day on it's own. Glad i aint lactose resistant. If you train hard enough, you will never leave the so called bulking phase, you will be expelling way to much energy during workout and recovery.

Fair enough, I wonder how much muscle you'll retain. Be interesting to know.

I had seen that photo actually earlier in the thread.

Maybe in a few years when there is a noticeable difference, I'll post comparison photos. Only up a stone though so no point!

if i remain on even semi skimmed gomad, the losses should be very small over a year period. With lighter maintenence lifts as well.

Jees, you were born in '95. I feel old, got my first job in an accounts office in '95

I was born in '77 sunshine lol.

Edited by Richie V

Updated table..

264lb (Start)
May 2010: -3lb 
June 2010: -2lb (259lb - Lowest)
Q3 2010: +8lb 
Q4 2010: +7lb

Q1 2011: +10lb
Q2 2011: +/- 0lb
Q3 2011: +5lb
Q4 2011: +1lb

Q1 2012: +12lb
Q2 2012: -9lb
Q3 2012: -13lb
Q4 2012: +3lb

Q1-Q3 2013: +22lb

October 2013-March 2014: +26lb

March 2014-May 2014: +10lb 

May 2014-July 2014: +16lb (Peak - 357lb)

Q3 2014: -32lb (325lb)

Q4 2014: +5lb 

Q1 2015: +16lb 

Q2 2015: -1lb

July 15: -13lb

August 15: -8lb

2010: +10lb (274lb)

2011: +16lb (290lb)

2012: -7lb (283lb)

2013: +22lb (Jan-Sep) (305lb) - +35lb extrapolated for the year with an end of 318lb.

2014: -1lb (March-Dec) (330lb) - +12lb extrapolated for the year with the extra first quarter. 

Total: +60lb (324lb-264lb)
Target Loss - 143lb (324lb-181lb)

Peak to Target: 176lb (357lb-181lb)
Current Weight: 324lb 

-8lb

Lost 8lb during August (limited exercise but reasonable diet) which means that i'm the lowest confirmed since September 2013, over 2 years ago.  

Next few milestones to go..

-3lb means i'm over 20% from peak to target

-20lb means that i'm the lowest confirmed weight since Dec 12 and am 30% from peak to target