Sign in to follow this  
BornFromTheVoid

Running, Weight Training, Nutrition

Thought I'd start this again seen as the last thread has gone!

Had a bit of a break from the weight training over xmas and with moving apartment and whatnot, only started again last week.

Started running again last week too after a broken toe and general xmas laziness meant I took a 2 month break from it.

One of my goals for the new year is to be able to run a marathon in the next 12 months (a little far fetched but I'll try my best) so I'm really gonna give it a good shot this year! Currently aiming to go running 3/4 times, at the moment it's about 5.5 miles each time which I hope to build up through the year.

This morning I managed 5.5 miles in about 35 minutes, no idea if that's much good but I was wrecked after it anyway

Anyone taking part in any kinda exercise plan or considering it, feels free to post.

Great thread. I am a member of quite a few forums with fitness sections so i think that this thread will do very well.

I have two fitness goals this year..

1) Drop to 195lb which at 6 foot 4 would be a very healthy weight.

2) Be able to lift 200lb+ with my shoulders, chest and arms (currently 90lb, 130lb and 130lb respectively [can already lift 200lb with my calfs and 275lb with my calfs]), i think that this would give me a good looking body without being OTT.

Obviously it is very hard to drop weight and build muscle, so my strategy is to focus on burning calories from feb 1st to June 1st and then focus on muscle building from June 1st to Oct 1st before another calorie burn for the rest of the year. In order to avoid losing muscle i will take in a usual amount of calories (2000-2500) but burn a lot in the gym, it means slower weight loss but more fat than mucle (for those women that crash diet you are actually loosing 70% mucle, 30% fat).

I am currently 274lb.

Edited by summer blizzard

Good luck with your training guys.

I have never been one for weight training or general gym. work but wish i had the motovation,lol'

I took up running in at age 38yrs. after finishing with other sports just to keep my weight down.

I got hooked and joined Nuneaton Harriers for many years.

In my time with them i have run 3 full marathons,incl London in1990.

I have also run over 20 half marathons,numerous 10milers and lesser distances over 10k ,5 miles etc--too numerous to mention.

I also ran xcountry and track--all this between ages 38-52yo--when i ran my last competitive race--the Tewksbury half Marathon in my slowest time of !hr. 56mins--age catching up with me.

I am now 62yo play golf but through the Winter do some running every other day between 3-5miles at a time to maintain some level of fitness.

I can say from experience that in running anyway walk briskly at the start of the session for about 3-5 mins to get your heart rate up a bit,then just gradually ease into the run until you reach a decent pace where you`re breathing faster but could still manage to talk.

Obviously if you do speed intervals then your pace will be quicker than this--but for steady stamina runs a moderate pace is best.

The impotant thing is to warm down at the end--ease your pace,then walk for a few mins and finish by doing static stretches of legs,particularly the calves which connect to the archilese where injury can occur if they get tight.

By the way 5.5miles in 35mins is very good Born-sounds like you went a bit hard--unless your in a race you shouldn`t feel wrecked after though.lol--just ease the pace a little--you`ll find you will still improve and recover better.

Hey Summer B-you are a big fella and i am heavier than i would like--where you can go running off road--much easier on the joints--helps to reduce injury risk too.

If i can help you boys at all with advice from all the miles i have run(26000miles over 25years)please email or pm me--all the best to you.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Thought I'd start this again seen as the last thread has gone!

Had a bit of a break from the weight training over xmas and with moving apartment and whatnot, only started again last week.

Started running again last week too after a broken toe and general xmas laziness meant I took a 2 month break from it.

One of my goals for the new year is to be able to run a marathon in the next 12 months (a little far fetched but I'll try my best) so I'm really gonna give it a good shot this year! Currently aiming to go running 3/4 times, at the moment it's about 5.5 miles each time which I hope to build up through the year.

This morning I managed 5.5 miles in about 35 minutes, no idea if that's much good but I was wrecked after it anyway

Anyone taking part in any kinda exercise plan or considering it, feels free to post.

HI BFTV

If you are able to run 5.5 miles now, you should easily be able to train for a marathon this year, if you can avoid injury. When I did London in 2003, I didn't start training until November 2002 and the first time I trained I could only manage about 3 miles before I was knackered. By February I was up to 10 miles and did a half marathon in March. Did two runs of 18+ miles three weeks and two weeks before the race itself.

Unfortunately, i strained a knee muscle during the race itself at around 18 miles, so had to walk the last 6 or 7 miles. I finished just over 5 and a quarter hours, but would have been about 4hrs 10mins if I could have kept running.

One tip I would suggest if training for a marathon is to avoid training on running machines as the sort of mileage required may cause shin splints - the fresh air is nicer anyway even if it is a bit cold at this time of year.

Hi SB.

Some of your weight lifting goals look very difficult to me! To be able to lift 200lbs with your arms (I'm guessing you mean barbell curl?) would be a great achievement after 10 years, nevermind 1! Lifting it with your chest (bench press) is much more achievable and is something I'm kinda aiming for aswell.

At the moment the most I can lift with a barbell curl is about 90lbs and with bench press it's about 135lbs.

As for the dropping weight and building muscle, I'm in a similar position to yourself. I'm 5'11'' and 185lbs. At the moment I'm on a cutting phase where I'm consuming about 2000kcal each day and buring little over 3000kcal through weight training, running and walking. I'm hoping to keep this up until the end of March and then go back to the "bulking" stage to build muscle. Last bulking stage I was taking in 4,500kcal per day while keeping my diet low in fat and sugars, I never found eating so difficult!

Do you use any supplements with your training?

Hello Phil,

That's a crazy amount you've ran! I only started the weight training last August myself. Just bought a cheapish bench and some weights and extra bits. Didn't think I would get that into it but it can be quite enjoyable!

I usually walk for around 20 minutes to a nearby park on the outskirts of Cork city before I start running, so I count that as a bit of a warm up.

I suppose I have a tendency to push myself a lot with the running. I'm usually exhausted by the end of the run but after a few minutes of walking around I'm grand. Still though, I do tend to get small annoying injuries and strains quite easily so perhaps I'll heed your advice and slow it down a bit!

Evening Stu,

I guess it's not such a ridiculous goal afterall! I've never ran on a treadmill before (except when getting a gait analysis done, in which I felt like an eejit with people watching me http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif ), always outdoors. I actually prefer running when it's cold like now, much less sweaty that way.

That was really slack with straining the muscle during the race. Have you kept up the running at all since?

Good thread. :)

This year Im just aiming to get back into training properly again. Ive not really trained in the last 9 months or so (started back in 2004), Id like to say its because of being so busy at work, but Ive actually got a full gym setup in my garage so really have no excuse whatsoever.

At my peak I was around 13st 8 at just over 5ft 9" with a mere 32" waist, I even managed 6-reps of 'ass to grass' squats for 8 reps - but in the past year a combination of not training and eating too much junk has left me with a waist over 34" and Ive lost some 6 inches from my chest and 4 inches from my legs! The problem with this is its a bit of a self-defeating prophecy which hits your confidence so you end up eating more junk and training even less. Im determined to break this in 2011 and get back to somewhere close to where I was.

Good thread. :)

This year Im just aiming to get back into training properly again. Ive not really trained in the last 9 months or so (started back in 2004), Id like to say its because of being so busy at work, but Ive actually got a full gym setup in my garage so really have no excuse whatsoever.

At my peak I was around 13st 8 at just over 5ft 9" with a mere 32" waist, I even managed 6-reps of 'ass to grass' squats for 8 reps - but in the past year a combination of not training and eating too much junk has left me with a waist over 34" and Ive lost some 6 inches from my chest and 4 inches from my legs! The problem with this is its a bit of a self-defeating prophecy which hits your confidence so you end up eating more junk and training even less. Im determined to break this in 2011 and get back to somewhere close to where I was.

What kinda set up have ya got reef?

I've just the york fitness bench with the lat,arm curl and leg attachments. EZ curl bar, and the usual barbell and dumbells. About 140kg of weights all jammed into the single spare room in my apartment!

I'm generally aiming to get in 4 workouts/week, with Wednesday and weekends off. Though I may take one weekend day every so often to put a little extra into my bench press which I'd like to improve a lot during the year.

What kinda set up have ya got reef?

I've just the york fitness bench with the lat,arm curl and leg attachments. EZ curl bar, and the usual barbell and dumbells. About 140kg of weights all jammed into the single spare room in my apartment!

I'm generally aiming to get in 4 workouts/week, with Wednesday and weekends off. Though I may take one weekend day every so often to put a little extra into my bench press which I'd like to improve a lot during the year.

Ive got a heavy duty power rack with cable attachment, 7 foot olympic barbell with 215Kg weights, adjustable bench, treadmill and 2.5kg - 25kg pro-style dumbbell set. I also have an olympic Tricep-bar, EZ-bar and dumbbell bars.

Ive always been pretty rubbish at bench press, never managed even 100kg for reps after 6 years training!

Ive got a heavy duty power rack with cable attachment, 7 foot olympic barbell with 215Kg weights, adjustable bench, treadmill and 2.5kg - 25kg pro-style dumbbell set. I also have an olympic Tricep-bar, EZ-bar and dumbbell bars.

Ive always been pretty rubbish at bench press, never managed even 100kg for reps after 6 years training!

Nice set up. I'd like something along those lines in a few years when I have the space and money!

Had a workout earlier on, after the break of several weeks I only managed a max of 55kg with the bench press, a little disappointing but I guess it's to be expected. Most of the bicep exercises are close to what I managed before xmas, so happy with that.

Back for a run tomorrow morning before college, gonna aim for 6 miles this time!

Hi SB.

Some of your weight lifting goals look very difficult to me! To be able to lift 200lbs with your arms (I'm guessing you mean barbell curl?) would be a great achievement after 10 years, nevermind 1! Lifting it with your chest (bench press) is much more achievable and is something I'm kinda aiming for aswell.

At the moment the most I can lift with a barbell curl is about 90lbs and with bench press it's about 135lbs.

As for the dropping weight and building muscle, I'm in a similar position to yourself. I'm 5'11'' and 185lbs. At the moment I'm on a cutting phase where I'm consuming about 2000kcal each day and buring little over 3000kcal through weight training, running and walking. I'm hoping to keep this up until the end of March and then go back to the "bulking" stage to build muscle. Last bulking stage I was taking in 4,500kcal per day while keeping my diet low in fat and sugars, I never found eating so difficult!

Do you use any supplements with your training?

With my chest and shoulders i do chest presses and shoulder presses and they feel very effecive, they also seemed to have built muscle on my bicep. Arms wise, i have not been using the barbells though i am going to start them in June.

I know many men seem to hate machines but shoulder and chest presses feel very effective to me.

Do you know what the best thing to work your abbs, obliques and back are, machines seem to be crap for them??

And bravo for your eating, i have not astered the cut and bulk diets yet.

With my chest and shoulders i do chest presses and shoulder presses and they feel very effecive, they also seemed to have built muscle on my bicep. Arms wise, i have not been using the barbells though i am going to start them in June.

I know many men seem to hate machines but shoulder and chest presses feel very effective to me.

Do you know what the best thing to work your abbs, obliques and back are, machines seem to be crap for them??

I've never used any machines or joined any gyms, just use my own stuff (which ain't much, but has done the job so far), but if their working for ya then stick with 'em!

For abs, I generally just do crunches, decline crunchs and flat bench leg raises. Gonna get a chin up bar soon enough to do hanging leg raises too as they're supposedly very good. For obliques I just do side crunches, but to be honest, it's hard to notice much of a difference with general ab work until your down to around 10% body fat, which I'm still a fair bit off!

There are loads of back exercises you can try. The main one, and the most well down is the dead lift. You can find all the exercises you want here along with tips and video exmples!

Ran for just under 6 miles this morning but had to take a break for 5 minutes half way. The muscle at on my left shin was aching quite a bit. Felt worse during the first half than the second hald of the run which I found weird. It also slowed me down a lot so I did it in 43 minutes, excluding the break. Might take an extra days rest before the next run to let that muscle heal a bit...

I have decided to change my routine around so i thought that i would post here..

Exercise Bike (1km to start with and increasing by 0.5km monthly, mainly just to warm up and aid with fat loss).

Military Press

Push Press

Bench Press

Squats

Deadlifts

Powercleans

Narrow Pull ups

(doing 10 of each)

Rowing Machine (1km to start with and increasing by 0.5km monthly, mainly just to cool down and aid with fat loss)

Edited by summer blizzard

Abs, obliques and the core muscles will be worked hard when doing squats and deadlifts.

A good rule is just to concentrate on the main compound exercises. Ive never been keen on machines, they are good for the casual trainer, but if you're trying to put on any significant muscle mass you need to be using free weights. My split was the following:

Chest, Biceps

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Dumbbell Bicep Curls

Hammer Curls

Back, Triceps

Deadlift

Chin Ups or Front Pull Downs (if you struggle with chin ups)

Horizontal Rows

Close Grip Bench Press

Dips

Legs, Shoulders

Barbell Squat or Lunges

Leg Curls or Stiff Leg Deadlift

Standing Calf Raises

Military Press

I used a pyramid setup of reps (12,10,8,6) with the last being to failure. Each workout took 30-45 minutes. Quick, simple and effective.

I have decided to change my routine around so i thought that i would post here..

Exercise Bike (1km to start with and increasing by 0.5km monthly, mainly just to warm up and aid with fat loss).

Military Press

Push Press

Bench Press

Squats

Deadlifts

Powercleans

Narrow Pull ups

(doing 10 of each)

Rowing Machine (1km to start with and increasing by 0.5km monthly, mainly just to cool down and aid with fat loss)

How often would you be doing that routine?

You need to make sure that you give your muscles time to recover and grow.

I do it like this:

Monday - Biceps and Chest

Tuesday - Shoulders and Back

Wednesday - Day Off!

Thursday - Triceps and Abs

Friday - Legs

Weekend - Rest

knew a chap who got into running, did mountain runs with his club etc, ran after work every night, seemed to be fit as a flea but dropped dead before he reached 60 :(

not all it's cracked up to be !

Edited by Verglas

While it's unfortunate that this person died at a relatively young age, I don't think you can take an isolated case like that as evidence for running being bad for you. A vast number of things may have contributed to his death.

If runners all over the country we're dropping dead at a young age, you might have a case, but that's simply not happening!

Haven't been able to run since last week, with a niggling knee problem, but have kept up the weight lifting. Managed a new best with the dead lift today (nothing impressive though), did 191 pounds (87kg) for 2 reps. Will give 200lbs a shot next week or later this week.

Turns out I've got "runners knee"... s**t.

Could my gait analysis have been done by someone incompetent? The knee pain only started after I got it done and got the new runners. Or maybe it's just coincidence...

Any tips on what to do?

Turns out I've got "runners knee"... s**t.

Could my gait analysis have been done by someone incompetent? The knee pain only started after I got it done and got the new runners. Or maybe it's just coincidence...

Any tips on what to do?

Ive always had terrible knees even before I started training, they click, cause pain and are just a massive annoyance. Best advice is to just rest it up for a while then when it feels OK just do some very light work on it and slowly build back up.

I started training again this week after 5 months off and just finished my second session today. Its good to be back again, but I can hardly move due to the DOMS. At least when you return to training you have muscle memory on your side and it comes back pretty quickly. I doubt Ill be getting anywhere near my best for ages though.

I'm currently 7st5 and 13 - Ideal according to my BMI, but I don't actually feel it, my goal is to be 7st by my 14th birthday (September), but I know that I need to grow still, and foodstuffs are the only ones that are keeping me grow - so exercise and a balance diet will be crucial for me...

Ive always had terrible knees even before I started training, they click, cause pain and are just a massive annoyance. Best advice is to just rest it up for a while then when it feels OK just do some very light work on it and slowly build back up.

I started training again this week after 5 months off and just finished my second session today. Its good to be back again, but I can hardly move due to the DOMS. At least when you return to training you have muscle memory on your side and it comes back pretty quickly. I doubt Ill be getting anywhere near my best for ages though.

First time I've had any kinda injury like this so it's very annoying. Even today, I'm still finding walking up and down stairs a bit sore. Strange seen as I did Gaelic football and hurling up to about the age of 14 and then did aggressive skating (rollerblading) for several years, which I would have thought puts a lot more strain on the knee, then when I go simply running I get injured http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif

Think seen as I can't go running much for a while, I'll go back to bulking and up my workout time and calorie intake. Might try stick to the 4 or 5 days a week but perhaps try get in 2 workouts on some days (only have a few hours/week in Uni at the moment so plenty of free time). Haven't tried this kinda routine before, but I generally have pretty quick recovery times so I'm hoping I can manage it.

Is the DOMS not just part of working out? Can't say I know a whole lot about it but I usually have some kinda sore/tenderness in my muscles the day after a hard workout, especially in my biceps.

Isolated Frost, BMI really ain't all that important. If you're a healthy weight but you've got a slightly big build the BMI will day you're overweight, if you have a slight build, it will say you're underweight.

I think the BMI works differently for people under 18 anyway. At your age you really have nothing to be worried about. If you're under 8 stone, 13 years old and consindered a healthy weight, then you probably have a huge growth spurt ahead of you and will end up lanky before you know it!

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

How often would you be doing that routine?

You need to make sure that you give your muscles time to recover and grow.

I do it like this:

Monday - Biceps and Chest

Tuesday - Shoulders and Back

Wednesday - Day Off!

Thursday - Triceps and Abs

Friday - Legs

Weekend - Rest

I would of course split the routine.

I have actually decided to maintain my original plan of focusing on weight loss for now until June 1st. Had a shocking/suprising 10lb wieight gain during December and i doubt that i gained that much muscle.

Isolated Frost, BMI really ain't all that important. If you're a healthy weight but you've got a slightly big build the BMI will day you're overweight, if you have a slight build, it will say you're underweight.

I think the BMI works differently for people under 18 anyway. At your age you really have nothing to be worried about. If you're under 8 stone, 13 years old and consindered a healthy weight, then you probably have a huge growth spurt ahead of you and will end up lanky before you know it!

Ooo, hope so, I've only gained around 10cm in the last 2 years-ish :(

Beaten my personal best in both bench press and deadlift this week, 136lbs and 219lbs. Feel as though I could do better with both so hopefully will beat the deadlift weight (though with only 2 20kg and 2 10kg discs, I'm beginning to run out of room on the barbell). I feel a little nervous lifting to my max with the bench press though seen as I have no spotter, so I might not try beat that for another while yet.

Gradually upping my calorie intake too, up to just over 3000kcal/day this week and to between 3500-4000kcal/day from next week onwards.

Everybody progressing?

Had a poor diet this month still so expecting a gain at the end, though i have maintained cardio at the gym.