Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Year Britain Froze

NL

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Its all in the title......

Documentary looking back at December 2010 record breaking cold spell.

Edited by NL

Posted

the usual human interest stuff so far.

rather light on the meterological details.

"ooh , i was pregnant, couldnt get out the house to give birth it were so cold" says 17 year old chav called Jade.

could be better to be honest, lots of padding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yeah its on atm on C4. I don't get the title of the show - The 'Year' Britain Froze. Surely December 2010 was 1 month out of a total 12 months.... :whistling:

I guess media-wise it sounds better than "The '3 Weeks' That Britain Froze" - because of course for most of us the cold weather had gone by the 27th December. The last week of November was cold yes - so I suppose they could have called it "The 'Month' That Britain Froze (One Week of Which Was Actually In A Different Month)â„¢".

Edited by djrikki

Posted

What about January and February? It wa also a cold year so I guess they weren't too far out. All winter months were much colder than normal for the UK.

Didn't watch it BTW probably a load of old tripe like the one they did for Feb '09 and January 10'.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Ha ha, I missed the early viewing but its on 4+1 now and yes its the usual codswallop on how the cold affects the human body haven't seen much meteorological reference yet.

Posted

Only four posts shows to me general lack of interest in the program. Having watched the one made earlier this year, by expectations were never high.

Indeed the program had plenty of filler - the worst bit being when they showed a zoo and the the threat of tigers leaping out of their enclosure because of ice surrounding them.. It would have made a story had they actually got out, but as they never, then why even feature this..

They had Alex Hill on and an ITV weather presenter, the latter simply stated what happened with hardly any science mentioned - I could have said what he did. Indeed I learnt zilch from the program.

I also think they should have waited until the end of winter before it was released - they kept referring to this winter saw severe cold...I'm sure the calandar says 18th Jan and not 1st March... we are only half way through this winter - we could easily see a two week very cold snowy spell again (yes the chances of anything as extreme as in Dec are very slim)..They should have said this winter so far has seen severe weather - referring to this winter in its present tense not past.

No doubt we will see an equivalent for when we see our next 2 week very warm/hot spell.. I remember the bbc did a program on the summer of 2006 similiar in vein to these winter freeze programs.

I also recall but perhaps mistaken a program on the cumbria floods..

Posted

It said at the beginning of the programme that what we had in December was just the beginning. Worse was to come this winter?

Perhaps they expect hundreds of Netweather subscibers to perish from the boredom of limpit Uk highs and the chasing of phantom easterlies.

Posted

Same old tosh as they did last January.

Using the nation's newspapers as a comparison, i always regarded Channel 4 as The Independent of the main UK TV channels, this was more of a Daily Express type output!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

It said at the beginning of the programme that what we had in December was just the beginning. Worse was to come this winter?

Perhaps they expect hundreds of Netweather subscibers to perish from the boredom of limpit Uk highs and the chasing of phantom easterlies.

Yes I heard that so I was expecting some reference and points to it in the programme but there was zilch! :closedeyes:

Posted

I tend to agree with this following quote which was touched on in the program - the jet stream was mentioned, but extremely briefly

Yes it was cold in the UK… it lasted two weeks… AND?!! I have just returned from a trip to Calgary Canada, temperatures averaged around -30 and winter lasts until April time! Our climate is tough; we have snow which melts then freezes at night. It cripples the country but only on occasion and only for a very short period. After watching the channel 4 program, it is clear that the problem mainly lies with the British public. Our attitude to inconvenience is appalling; our willingness to point the finger has now become a matter of instinct. In short we are slowly becoming a miserable, stupid, selfish country.

So if it freezes again, think! It’s not reasonable to think that it’s somebody else’s responsibility to get you out of trouble, if you walk your dog beside a frozen river without a lead, if you use a car for a ‘non-essential’ purpose, for your local council to become supermen and use their powers of flight to empty your bins and clear your pathways so you can make that all important trip to the hairdressers! Stock up on fuel and food for the period and be responsible for ‘yourself and your family’.

If you do have to venture out to take your sick child to the doctor… put warm clothing and footwear on them! Just because it’s warm in the car or on the train etc. try asking WHAT IF?

"BE PREPARED†(Baden Powell)

Posted

I never watch the show personally but these weather shows that get shown on ITV/Channel 4 always have some scientist saying, with global warming, we will see more extreme weather events occuring more frequently. Thing is though, the cold in December whilst exceptional in more recent times, it did happen 20-30+ years ago.

Same when they are talking about unusually hot weather, they say, droughts and hot spells will occur more often but again, these events happened in the past. Whilst the planet is warming up, you can't really say all this stuff without any proof.