Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland - Winter/Spring Weather Discussion Part 6

Cookie

Posted

I'm as north if not further north than you, and that doesn't mean anything, and the fact that you live in a supposed Frost hollow accelerates the rise usually, I've rose 10C numerous times this winter, as with many people, but I won't question 'your local climate'.

Well you just carry on then because i know what has happened here and what hasnt' happened and you know what has happened in your place and all so we shall keep that to ourselves it may have risen the odd time but that is not common because if it were we'd have seen 15c days quite alot this year.

Now can we all carry on because this is ruining the thread arguing over petty things

Edited by kimmirut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Ok lets start talking about what the weather is doing right now instead of arguing with people about what happens in their local area its getting a bit tiring.

Current Conditons

Temperature: -2.5c.

Weather: Clear skies.

Wind Speed: 0mph.

Humidity: 85%

Ok k, not trying to crticise or insult you here, but lets consider the possibility that you're thermometer is a little wrong for the moment, ok?

Looking at this link here http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=81 it appears the 3 closest stations to yourself have temperatures of 2.1C, -0.4C and on Coleraine Mt, -1.6C. Does it not seem at though there might be something wrong with your sensor with it being at -2.5C, which is closer to your local stations than it usually is it seems! I know some people calibrate their thermometers based on the stations nearby, could be something for you to consider maybe?

Also, it seems your temps are much higher in summer than surrounding areas too, despite you claiming that you live in a frost hollow. Don't you think it's reasonable to consider that the thermometer is a little off?

Posted

Ok k, not trying to crticise or insult you here, but lets consider the possibility that you're thermometer is a little wrong for the moment, ok?

Looking at this link here http://www.trafficwe...p.jsp?client=81 it appears the 3 closest stations to yourself have temperatures of 2.1C, -0.4C and on Coleraine Mt, -1.6C. Does it not seem at though there might be something wrong with your sensor with it being at -2.5C, which is closer to your local stations than it usually is it seems! I know some people calibrate their thermometers based on the stations nearby, could be something for you to consider maybe?

Also, it seems your temps are much higher in summer than surrounding areas too, despite you claiming that you live in a frost hollow. Don't you think it's reasonable to consider that the thermometer is a little off?

Hmm well its obviously not accurate but i know its around that because of driving in the car and local stations it says on the box it can be 1c out. Btw the closest one to me is coleraine mt which is -1.6c and those are the surface temps which will be warmer than the air temps!biggrin.gif Btw how do you calibrate the thermometer to the local stations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

What weather station do you have Kimmirut? I might be able to help.

Posted

What weather station do you have Kimmirut? I might be able to help.

Its one from maplin an auld cheap one at £60 canny remember the name of it. Its dropped in price i'll send you a link quiet embarrassing lol probably can't do what i want to do going to buy a new one soon.

Edited by kimmirut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Anywho, I'm off to get drunk now, so goodbye, and enjoy the night :drinks:

Posted

Its one from maplin an auld cheap one at £60 canny remember the name of it. Its dropped in price i'll send you a link quiet embarrassing lol probably can't do what i want to do going to buy a new one soon.

This one? http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-out-wireless-remote-weather-station-31697

If you can find it for me and link it to me.

They seem to have a sale on at minute so not able to deter which one was £60.

Anywho, I'm off to get drunk now, so goodbye, and enjoy the night :drinks:

Lucky you......btw...Amon Amarth, COB, Ensiferum and Machinae Supremacy in Dublin in a couple months or thereabouts. I'm thinking of heading down to let some steam off in the pit. Let me know if your interested.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Nothing wrong with stations from Maplin.

Regarding temperature rises - Take Altnaharra last month. -22C to +1C in 10 hours due to milder air moving in.

Posted

I mean on a normal sunny day backtrack lol..

Fog is starting to form and is getting thicker by the minute Yippi it's dropping temp quick too can seemyself getting -5/-6c before the nights out possibly -7c

Current conditions:

Temperature: -3.4c and dropping

Weather: clear with fog forming

Humidity: 92 percent

Wind speed: 0mph

I think if we get to -5c an ice day will probably occur we shall see hopefully frost is getting thicker so is fog

Posted

Clear and cold

Temperature: -5.4c

Humidity: 90 percent

Weather: clear skies

Don't know about an ice day it's gonna be very close this time because of the stronger sun hmml.. Anyhow did anyone notice the moon it's massive it never got dark last night!!

Edited by kimmirut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

a very cold sunny frosty morning. outside temp -4.7c

overnight low of -6.4c. temp could have got lower only for dense fog setting in at )6:00am.

looks like its gonna be another stunning day with wall to wall sunshine and a crisp feel.

tonight looks like its gonna be another clear starry full moonlit night. temps i fancy could be a degree or so even lower.

Posted

-3.4c here in the blistering sunshine no wind and everything still frozen solid so we should manage an iceday yippi

Kimmirut do u not have school work to do? U are never off this site. !! Glad your getting the weather u want. I personally can't wait for spring now. The sooner it's here the better because as I said 3 weeks ago when everbody was predicting a mid January White out, and taking bets that it would snow by end of January that we have seen are snow for the winter. As I said then and still believe now any snow will be a one or two day affair on a very seldom basis!! I can't believe people think we are going to get a rerun similar to dec. It's just ridiculous!!! Normal winter has resumed since 23rd dec, and will continue to until spring!!!

Posted

Kimmirut do u not have school work to do? U are never off this site. !! Glad your getting the weather u want. I personally can't wait for spring now. The sooner it's here the better because as I said 3 weeks ago when everbody was predicting a mid January White out, and taking bets that it would snow by end of January that we have seen are snow for the winter. As I said then and still believe now

any snow will be a one or two day affair on a very seldom

basis!! I can't believe people think we are going to get a rerun similar to dec. It's just ridiculous!!! Normal winter has

resumed since 23rd dec, and will continue to until spring!!!

Well no I have an iPhone with free Internet and no school work exams @@ anyhow how is this normal winter -1c is not normal for here through the day!!

Current conditions

Temperature: -1c

Humidity: 80 percent

Weather: clear sunny skies!

Cloud cover: none! YAY

Wind speed : none yay!?

I thinking have received an ice day here but frost is only surviving in the shade how come it's melting at -1c a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't have melted :(( expecting a cold night tonight probably about -8c

Posted

If it is "Normal" winter as you say Neiller then surely to god the CET will be average for January? Doesn't look like it is going to end up that way.

Anyways, can you explain how you came to your conclusion that winter will have no more bites this year?

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Another lovely clear day,severe frost this morning,the shaded frost persisting. Max temp 3.0c,last nights low -2.4c

Current temp 2.6c

Posted

Maybe because it's not -1!!! That's why it's melting. And yes it's cold today but it hasn't been minus 1 as u state today which I dont believe since 23 dec!! Hence normal winter!!

WHAT! I had an ice day friday and saturday two weeks ago that is not the 23rd of december you really do downgrade things theres just no way i haven't had an ice day since the 23rd of december, the december cold spell didn't even end until the 27th of december!! SERIOUSLY! And it is -1c here. Heres a snap of the current road temps from a station just 4 miles away if they are below 0c the air temp is obviously below 0c.

Station : Coleraine Mountain Organisation : The Meteorological Office - Northern Ireland

Time : 19.01.2011 15:50 Europe/Belfast

Relative Humidity (1) 87 %

Surface Temperature (3) -0.7 °C

So there you go we did have an ice day here!:girl_devil:

Sorry folks for being so rude i just hate it when someone says to me that i'm lying when they aren't here and i especially hate it when they downgrade what has happened!

Managed an ice day here as predicted!:yahoo:

Current Conditions:

Temperature: -0.5c.

Max: -0.1c

Weather: Sunny.

Wind: None

Humidity: 78%

Today was great sunny all day had an ice day expecting mins of around -8c tonight.

Edited by kimmirut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

WHAT! I had an ice day friday and saturday two weeks ago that is not the 23rd of december you really do downgrade things theres just no way i haven't had an ice day since the 23rd of december, the december cold spell didn't even end until the 27th of december!! SERIOUSLY! And it is -1c here. Heres a snap of the current road temps from a station just 4 miles away if they are below 0c the air temp is obviously below 0c.

Station : Coleraine Mountain Organisation : The Meteorological Office - Northern Ireland

Sorry folks for being so rude i just hate it when someone says to me that i'm lying when they aren't here and i especially hate it when they downgrade what has happened!

Current Conditions:

Today was great sunny all day had an ice day expecting mins of around -8c tonight.

Yet when that station says it was warmer than your station you say it isn't accurate... 20 miles away, different temperatures ect.

-8C? Don't be silly mate. -8C is difficult to achieve in the deepest of cold spells.

-4/5C will probably be your TRUE minimum.

I strongly doubt you had an ice day.

Edited by Backtrack

If u read my posts I said there may be a few two day events that amount to very little. Hence a normal winter with the exception of last week nov and dec? In relation to the CET it will just be below average and no more. Look, we had a cold dec and the rest of the winter looks normal as per any other year. Just because we now have frost for the last couple of nights doesn't make jan exceptionally cold. And the way I see it we will gradually get milder over the coming days and weeks and thankfully spring will be here. So I just think it's time for people to be realistic. Next winter I move to Toronto to live with my job so I will get my fair share of snow in the winter and sun in the summer. I just think northern Ireland and England will never be the snow heaven u all long for!! It's harsh but that's life.

Posted

Current Conditions:

An ice day is a measure of air temperature at 2m - not surface temperature.

Surface temperatures can frequently be below freezing, giving a grass or ground frost, whilst air temps can be say +3ºC. Hence the difference between grass/ground frosts and air frosts - the latter being the measure used for what is described as an 'ice day' :)

Posted

Yet when that station says it was warmer than your station you say it isn't accurate... 20 miles away, different temperatures ect.

-8C? Don't be silly mate. -8C is difficult to achieve in the deepest of cold spells.

-4/5C will probably be your TRUE minimum.

I strongly doubt you had an ice day.

Erm no that is the metoffice station not that one and no -8 is not hard to achieve. You said -5c wouldn't be reached last night and castlederg reached -6c.

Current conditons:

Temperature: -2.5c

Weather: Clear with a bit of fog forming.

Wind: 0mph.

Humidity: 80%

An ice day is a measure of air temperature at 2m - not surface temperature.

Surface temperatures can frequently be below freezing, giving a grass or ground frost, whilst air temps can be say +3ºC. Hence the difference between grass/ground frosts and air frosts - the latter being the measure used for what is described as an 'ice day' :)

Naw i know what you mean i definately had an ice day a max was -0.1c but it probably crept upto above freezing in a few spots thats why the frost melted in some parts of my yard.

Edited by kimmirut

your not rude kimmirut. your just stupid!! For u to state that when ground temp is below 0 then the air temp has to be below 0 is completely idiotic!! I'm I scientist and I think u need to have a word with your science teacher or primary school teacher more to the point!! Ground temp always will remain cooler than air temp for the majority of the winter! So don't for the love of god try and teach me about physics or science!! U just begger belief u child!

Posted

your not rude kimmirut. your just stupid!! For u to state that when ground temp is below 0 then the air temp has to be below 0 is completely idiotic!! I'm I scientist and I think u need to have a word with your science teacher or primary school teacher more to the point!! Ground temp always will remain cooler than air temp for the majority of the winter! So don't for the love of god try and teach me about physics or science!! U just begger belief u child!

Don't call me stupid, i'm in a top grammar school. I already knew that but in sunny skies that isn't going to happen the surface temps will rise above freezing if there is no snow cover or negative temps hence me using that as proof.

Edited by kimmirut

Well if u are going to make a point as ridiculous as that then counter act it with your sunny sky comment. Really!!! And on that sunny sky statement u are saying that in dec when it was sunny temperatures rose above freezing!! Come on kimmirut your letting urself down here. Just think a liitle before you post and you may get a bit more respect. It's a learning curve and we have all been there but your young and unwise so all we ask is for u try your best and be honest in relation to what u post.