Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Spring Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

Sounds like you'll both get your wish - high pressure in charge for the forseeable - some on the model thread are seeing winter ghosts - with tales of easterlies/north easterlies/blizzards/retrogressing highs/ - all a bit far fetched right now I have to admit :wallbash:

First tentative signs of a north easterly flow developing as the HP moves westwards looks promising.

Posted

Well, what a lovely winter's day it was in SW Wales... No snow, but the next best thing- fresh, calm and sunny- and looks like there could be a few more days like that this week.

After that, who knows? I don't think anybody, or model, has a handle on where the high is going to end up and exactly what happens to it is going to play a major role in deciding the nature of our weather for the period after the weekend. I hope it heads somewhere up north and brings a bit of the snow back...

Ps congrats on passing your test, Adam! You may not want the snow so much now, if it keeps you off the road.

Edited by benb

Posted

First tentative signs of a north easterly flow developing as the HP moves westwards looks promising.

sorry Kieth - but high pressure in charge for quite some time - it hurts to say it - but you have to read the models the way they are showing - wishing for snow doesn't make it snow - you may be right in Feb we may get the mother of all cold/artic/snow/blizzards to balance out this january - but not for the next 2 weeks!

incidentally - did anyone catch the channel 4 prog tonight - covering the freeze during december - thought it was quite informative - not a lot we already didn't know about the jet stream etc - was quite surprised at how many people died trying to save their dogs from freezing in a frozen lake/river - if you want to catch the prog I expect channel 4 have a see it again facility on the net!

I tend to agree with this following quote which was touched on in the program (incidentally channel 4 don't seem to want to allow people to see it again, sorry)

Yes it was cold in the UK… it lasted two weeks… AND?!! I have just returned from a trip to Calgary Canada, temperatures averaged around -30 and winter lasts until April time! Our climate is tough; we have snow which melts then freezes at night. It cripples the country but only on occasion and only for a very short period. After watching the channel 4 program, it is clear that the problem mainly lies with the British public. Our attitude to inconvenience is appalling; our willingness to point the finger has now become a matter of instinct. In short we are slowly becoming a miserable, stupid, selfish country.

So if it freezes again, think! It’s not reasonable to think that it’s somebody else’s responsibility to get you out of trouble, if you walk your dog beside a frozen river without a lead, if you use a car for a ‘non-essential’ purpose, for your local council to become supermen and use their powers of flight to empty your bins and clear your pathways so you can make that all important trip to the hairdressers! Stock up on fuel and food for the period and be responsible for ‘yourself and your family’.

If you do have to venture out to take your sick child to the doctor… put warm clothing and footwear on them! Just because it’s warm in the car or on the train etc. try asking WHAT IF?

"BE PREPARED†(Baden Powell)

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Been out gritting tonight, the roads were full of council gritters also which is a good sign. Hope this weather continues and as highlighted in previous posts, I hope February is really cold to balance the books with February.

Average figure on the dash board when parked was around minus -1.5 degrees - alot of iced up screens already.

Posted

-5 here this morning and a thick frost, now I love this kind of weather, so what no snow we still are having the air frosts, and I want to beat last years 68 air frosts. already on 46 so let's hope (this goes from august to june mind :p)

Posted

Colder overnight than the forecasts I saw predicted: -4.5 around kilgetty this morning and generally -2,-3 across S Pembs. Looks like it's going to be another very nice day...

Posted

I'm already fed up of scraping ice off the car at 6.30 in the morning - whens the rain coming back :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes the ice scraping season has resumed.

Stayed foggy into the afternoon and has only crept up to 1.3c which in a typical winter would be very cold.

Posted

Frost remained in Shade here all day. To those saying it's cool and not cold I would disagree, when frost persists with wall to wall sunshine it certainly is cold.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Lovely red sky sunset this afternoon! - spooky looking moon wooooh!!!!!!!!! - frost still around in places since this morning also - pesky high pressure going nowhere for the forseeable I'm afraid (GFS 12z)

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Lovely red sky sunset this afternoon! - spooky looking moon wooooh!!!!!!!!! - frost still around in places since this morning also - pesky high pressure going nowhere for the forseeable I'm afraid (GFS 12z)

Same as here in Allestree Derby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Nice weather at the moment...may be slightly boring for some but at least its not raining! Those nights of radar watching seem ages ago right now :blink:

Another nice sunny day here, after a very hard frost this morning, which gave a thick frost on the grass.

Pleasant again in the sun, but a little colder than yesterday. another frost likely by morning.

If we cannot have snow, frosty starts, warming up with plenty of sunshine during the day is decent weather in my book.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Its been a very nice winters day here! Lovely frosty morning, then a bright sunny, crisp clear day with patches of frost remaining in the shade!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Ffab day. Cold am bit warmer in the pm. Im happy with cool/cold, frosty and dry atm.

Posted

Wasn't the moon fabulous tonight!! I am so pleased that the days are getting longer. Looks like a sunny outlook for us in Wales although chilly - lovely!!:air_kiss: No snow by the looks of it on the charts ATM.

Posted

Back in the freeezer again :air_kiss: just love it , temp down here now at -1.7 and very frosty . great sunny days ahead and nights seem to be drawing out aswell , class!!!!! im so happy now :rolleyes:

Posted

Makes me chuckle those model thread folk looking for cold.

-8c outside now way colder than the forecasts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Another crisp, clear frosty morning! Hope there are alot more to come! -2.5C :)

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted

Makes me chuckle those model thread folk looking for cold.

-8c outside now way colder than the forecasts!

Jeeze you have got down well. It's -5 here but that is still alot colder than the -2/-3 that the models had forecast. Proves what clear skies and short days with weak sunshine does. Suspect January will come slightly below average in Wales due to these cold mins and max's atm. Snow isn't everything folks this weather is glorious!

Posted

Yesterday this was the coldest place in Wales (unofficially), a maximum of just 1.3c due to a Teifi inversion and fog, while just up the way Trawsgoed was Wales's warmest place at a mild 8.7c!

Posted

Our rather localised semi freeze up continues here around Lampeter.

In spite of glorious sunshine all day, it only reached 2.3c with thick frost and ice all day in the shade.

No need to hunt down the next cold spell as it's well and truly here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Our rather localised semi freeze up continues here around Lampeter.

In spite of glorious sunshine all day, it only reached 2.3c with thick frost and ice all day in the shade.

No need to hunt down the next cold spell as it's well and truly here!

Yes. The GFS has underdone the cold here somewhat. Here in North West England I had a maximum today of 1.4C!

Incredible for something that was literally a write off!

7C was the estimated max today.

I guess it was due to dense fog, but still :p:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A high of 2.6C here in a shaded frosty garden! What a stunning day though! Crisp clear sunshine and the sunshine felt really pleasant! Love this weather :)

Posted

Thick frost here in the shade all day on raods and pavements (hoar frost) and the fields have remained like that even in the sun in some places. Quite nice :) max of 1.8 today and currently -3.