Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Atlantic's Back

Posted

Today's going to be one of those days I think. We've already had 20.2mm of rain since midnight (26.8mm since it started raining yesterday evening), and with the rain forecast to fall all day today and into tomorrow, we could be looking at a very high total.

The ten wettest days I've ever recorded are:-

90.0mm on January 7th 2005

66.6mm on January 11th 2009

61.4mm on November 19th 2009

57.0mm on July 7th 2009

47.0mm on August 9th 2004

41.2mm on December 4th 2006

41.0mm on January 9th 2005

41.0mm on August 10th 2004

39.6mm on October 23rd 2008

39.4mm on October 25th 2008

Lots of the buildings next to the Eden in Appleby, including the police station, had put their flood barrier up by yesterday evening. Perhaps they've been warned by the environment agency?

Posted

Been raining on and off here this so far this morning, though nothing significant. I might get deluged later on, though I suspect I'll miss the brunt of it (as I did in November 2009).

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Today's going to be one of those days I think. We've already had 20.2mm of rain since midnight (26.8mm since it started raining yesterday evening), and with the rain forecast to fall all day today and into tomorrow, we could be looking at a very high total.

The ten wettest days I've ever recorded are:-

90.0mm on January 7th 2005

66.6mm on January 11th 2009

61.4mm on November 19th 2009

57.0mm on July 7th 2009

47.0mm on August 9th 2004

41.2mm on December 4th 2006

41.0mm on January 9th 2005

41.0mm on August 10th 2004

39.6mm on October 23rd 2008

39.4mm on October 25th 2008

Lots of the buildings next to the Eden in Appleby, including the police station, had put their flood barrier up by yesterday evening. Perhaps they've been warned by the environment agency?

Indeed, it doesn't look too good for your area OON. Take a look at the NMM accumulation charts:

post-5487-0-33849400-1295087782_thumb.pn

Posted

Bloody hell. I'm right in that salmon pink area under, what looks to be over 200mm. I know it's an approximation, but....well, how am I meant to walk the dog in this?!

Posted

Where do you get the rainfalll amount charts, river levels are quite high and the have closed the flood gate along side the river caldew. Abit early its not as high as ive seen it before.

The eden has rose alot since yesturday http://www.kirkbystephen.net/eden/live.php

Posted

Bloody hell. I'm right in that salmon pink area under, what looks to be over 200mm. I know it's an approximation, but....well, how am I meant to walk the dog in this?!

Take it for a swim instead? :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not much rain here brief burst of heavier stuff then dry. However rather breezy average wind 31 mph gusting 53 mph.

Put yah mac on and some wellies and no probs. If you do after lunch you can use the wet stuff as an excuse to sit in the local so your missus lets you off.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
so your missus lets you off.
She hasn't done that for years.

I did go for my walk; waterproof hat, coat, gloves, trousers, boots and gators.....stayed dry as a bone. There's a cave on the walk which leads to an underground river network, and the cave had disappeared with water spurting out as if from a big hose. All the fields have rivers on them now, and I'm just off to Appleby to check the river there. Now up to 37mm since midnight with the forecast suggesting it's set in until the small hours.

Posted

Yes, typical Atlantic weather in that we're almost completely sheltered here. So far today theres been just 0.2mm and 13.4mm all month so far.

Posted

Eden's very high but well below going over, but it depends what's happening 20 miles up in Mallerstang. If the intensity of rain increases then the rain entering exceeds the water leaving, so plenty of time yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

She hasn't done that for years.

Let you off from going to the pub or ceased listening to your excuses???

Sounds very interesting in your area.

Posted

The flood sirens went off in Appleby at about 7pm, which means the flood barriers and gates around the town centre are put into place, and as I came home about half an hour ago, the Eden had burst its banks again and was flooding the Sands area of the town. The journey home was awful, with the roads like rivers and water being blown up some of the hills!

After about half an hour without rain, it's absolutely lashing it down out there again now, with 60mm going to be broken in the next few minutes, and the 10min average wind speed standing at 28mph.

Posted

Rain has eased off here at the moment, is all that rain over scotland heading our way after this first band.

River Eden is slowly rising

River Pettril also rising

Caldew is going down aliitle according to the EA i don't understand how it can go down

Still another 6-8 hours of rain to come, not sure what time rivers will peak tomorrow but i bet there are some very worried folk in carlisle and oter parts of cumbria tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol. Not rained here all day apart from light rain early hours of last night.

Posted

The upper Eden will always drop very quickly, particularly at Kirkby Stephen where it's less than 15 miles old and dropping rapidly in elevation. Also, the terrain in its catchment is very rocky so water runs off quickly and therefore stops quickly too.

Ended up with 58.6mm of rain yesterday to midnight, which makes it the 5th wettest day I've recorded. We had 6.4mm before midnight on Friday night, and have also had 14.8mm of rain so far today, bringing the total within the past 36 hours to 88.2mm.

Posted

The upper Eden will always drop very quickly, particularly at Kirkby Stephen where it's less than 15 miles old and dropping rapidly in elevation. Also, the terrain in its catchment is very rocky so water runs off quickly and therefore stops quickly too.

Ended up with 58.6mm of rain yesterday to midnight, which makes it the 5th wettest day I've recorded. We had 6.4mm before midnight on Friday night, and have also had 14.8mm of rain so far today, bringing the total within the past 36 hours to 88.2mm.

38 miles away, probably as little as 30 miles east as the crow flies, we had 1mm yesterday.

Posted

38 miles away, probably as little as 30 miles east as the crow flies, we had 1mm yesterday.

Closer to you still, here we had 79mm from that system over 36 hours. Monthly total now 126.4mm.