Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sandstorm2

Jury Duty

Just to settle an argument, does anyone know the penalty for not turning up for jury duty? I say the maximum fine is £1000, but my mate says it is £100 and a slap on the wrist.

SS2

I think it's £1000... I did Jury Duty & it was very interesting, we had a Unique case of a Jewish Rabbii being involved in cocaine. Even the Judge said in all his time he ain't had a case like it...

You should do it, it's fun, but there are ways of getting out of it... If you work just get them to say they need you badly for something very important, or tell them you have had an accident?

A quick Google shows the following

http://www.courtroomadvice.co.uk/failure-attend-jury-service.html

I don't know why people want to get out of doing it though. I was reluctant to start with but I did it and found it very interesting. I would hate to think that jurys were only made up of people who had nothing better to do than Jury service. That would not make for a broad selection of society (in my opinion)

I did it once, and it was really interesting, a rape case and a domestic violence.

All in a weeks work for the courts really.

Ive been called for jury duty for the first time,in mid feb

Having a very rare name and the fact your name gets read out in court I would be very reluctant to do it. A friend of mine did it and it seems largely farcical overall.

Some of his comments shows that courts really need to check up whether the people in the jury are up to the task that case demands.

Ive been called for jury duty for the first time,in mid feb

ive never been called up for jury service..neither has my mother father or brothers..yet my father in law has done jury service 4 times..do they just pick names from a hat???..not that it matters now as i no longer live in the UK

ive never been called up for jury service..neither has my mother father or brothers..yet my father in law has done jury service 4 times..do they just pick names from a hat???..

Small hat in your father in laws case :rofl:

I did jury service a few years ago, never got called into a case once, just sat there all week waiting it was very boring as you can't go out without permission incase you are needed.

A tabby cat has been selected for jury duty in the US after his owners registered him on a state census form....

The bizarre letter was sent to the cat, which was listed in the pets section of the census, by a court in Boston, Massachusetts calling on him for duty. Cat owners Anna and Guy Esposito wrote to the court asking the family pet, named Sal, to be excused from service because he doesn't speak or understand English. Mrs Esposito reportedly included a letter from her vet confirming that the cat was a 'domestic short-haired neutered feline' and not human. However, the request for the cat's exemption was refused by a jury commissioner and Mrs Esposito was told that Sal 'must attend' Suffolk Superior Crown Court. She said: "When they ask him guilty or not guilty, what's he supposed to say - meow?""Sal is a member of the family so I listed him on the last census form under pets but there has clearly been a mix-up." According to the Massachusetts judicial branch website, US citizens who 'do not speak and understand English sufficiently well may be disqualified.' If Sal's application for disqualification is denied, the cat is expected in court on 23 March.

:lol: