Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sun Withdrawal

damianslaw

Posted

Just over 9 hours sunshine so far this month which is very low even for here

My area hasn't even had that lol.Another cloudy day thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Sunshine deficiency i have, i did get some sunny breaks early in the week, i need blue skys and an odd fluffy cumulus, i also do feel a bit lower than usual during daylight(of course!) without the sunny weather, but after dark i then benefit from the tm air flow, much better feeling warm out walking(unless its raining on you..)then being cold..unless its a frost or snow coming! (;

Posted

In Valentia, July was very nearly the dullest month of 2010. Its sunshine total of 85 hours beat only November (80.9 hours).

I wonder if for some places in that corner of Ireland July actually was the dullest month of the year. That would be incredible.

That would be amazing, if you consider the difference between daylight hours in summer and winter at the latitude. I remember in 2007 June came out duller than January in the NE; as for 2010 two statistics are notable for the summer here:

Hottest day of the year was in May

June was sunnier than July and August put together. Considering it has a day less than either that takes some doing.

Posted

My hottest day was also in May. That was a fine spell of weather.

The sun is cracking the flags here now! I've dodged the bullet somewhat so far during this southwesterly spell. I'd much prefer it to be cold and frosty/snowy, but this is MUCH better than rainy, overcast, humid-mild muck.

Posted

That weekend of 22-23rd May was simply perfect in every way, warmest days of the year here to with crystal clear blue skies, no haze, low humidity, Monday was great to though it turned quite cool by the evening.

Amazingly weve had some pleasant sunshine at times this afternoon here, a lovely change and pleasantly mild to.

Posted

That weekend of 22-23rd May was simply perfect in every way, warmest days of the year here to with crystal clear blue skies, no haze, low humidity, Monday was great to though it turned quite cool by the evening.

Amazingly weve had some pleasant sunshine at times this afternoon here, a lovely change and pleasantly mild to.

Its periods of weather like we have now which make me long for a quick sharp burst of weather like we had on 22/23 May 2010, which also turned out to be the hottest weekend of the whole year - a superb early summer hot spell in my favourite month lovely May...

However, on the bright side after a shocking weekend ahead it looks like a return to much sunnier skies next week, with heights building in a much more favourable position for cold frosty sunny weather - just the tonic..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember that weekend well- it reached an astounding 29C here in Norwich, while even Cleadon made 24.7C. It wasn't quite the hottest day of the year at either location but came very close.

Posted

I remember that weekend well- it reached an astounding 29C here in Norwich, while even Cleadon made 24.7C. It wasn't quite the hottest day of the year at either location but came very close.

It reached 26.7C here that day, just 0.2C short of the record set on 14th May 1992. It wasnt particularly pleasant for me as I was on night shifts and had to sleep during it. Nor was it very pleasant for my work colleagues as they had a 10km run to do. Fortunately being on nights I managed to duck out of that one!

Posted

Looking back that Sunday (23rd May) may well have been the hottest day since July 2006 here; if not it was within a degree or so (the brief hot spells of late June/early Jul 2009 and late Jul 2008 reached similar temps). We haven't topped 25C in August since 2007.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

BBC just confirmed we have seen only 41% of the average amount of sunshine we would normally expect in January. Whilst the rest of the month looks fairly bright I think there will be alot of cloud and so those totals are unlikely to be bumped up.

It is in complete contrast to the very sunny December. How poor this month has been in comparison to December - in terms of cold temps, snow and sunshine, however, it has been very similiar in terms of dryness.

I think many will look back on this month as sum it up in word one non-descript and therefore instantly forgettable. I'm expecting much more exciting weather in February and can't remember a more uninteresting January than this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Is that just for Cumbria? Philip Eden's stats have all regions with at least 82% of the average sunshine.

I don't think I'll find this month particularly memorable either, even by 1993-2009 standards!

Posted

Is that just for Cumbria? Philip Eden's stats have all regions with at least 82% of the average sunshine.

I don't think I'll find this month particularly memorable either, even by 1993-2009 standards!

It was on the 10.35 weather forecast and I thought it was for the whole country. It has felt particularly dull here in Surrey... There was little sunshine in December either!

Edited by Great Plum

Posted

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

South-east England is the dullest region relative to average for the third successive month at 82% of normal, and NW England is second dullest at 86%- this is consistent with the comments about a dull month coming from Cumbria and Surrey- of course Philip's figures are regional averages so it is feasible that individual locations will have had nearer 41% of normal.

It was interesting that the meteorological sources portrayed December 2010 as a sunny month because SE England was the only glaring exception, while among the media sunshine didn't get a mention because it was the severity of the cold and snow that made news. Normally months which are dull in the SE and sunny elsewhere are portrayed as being dull because most media sources are based in London! Widespread sunshine totals of 60-80 hours in Scotland and northern England certainly contrasted with Heathrow's 19 hours.

Posted

It was about this time in January last year (and has subsequently happened again) when I've noticed the days get long enough to keep me happy and the sun being a bit higher and a bit stronger. It's not quite at the feeling of waking up after that long sleep that happens at the start of March, but I tell you, it feels so good right now! biggrin.gif

Posted

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

South-east England is the dullest region relative to average for the third successive month at 82% of normal, and NW England is second dullest at 86%- this is consistent with the comments about a dull month coming from Cumbria and Surrey- of course Philip's figures are regional averages so it is feasible that individual locations will have had nearer 41% of normal.

Regarding the SE Heathrow and Manston are 52 and 59 per cent of normal. I don't know what the norm for Woodford is but they have only had 22 hours. I assume it's the Woodford in Northampton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Regarding the SE Heathrow and Manston are 52 and 59 per cent of normal. I don't know what the norm for Woodford is but they have only had 22 hours. I assume it's the Woodford in Northampton.

I think it's Woodford, Greater Manchester.

Posted

Sounds like some parts of NW and SE England are indeed close to 41% of normal then. I don't think Woodford has established long-term averages but Ringway's 1971-2000 average was 49.6 hours, so 22 hours is remarkably low by any standards.

Posted

First time the sun came out today here since last Thursday, there have been many periods since Boxing Day (as much as 9-10 DAYS in fact) where the sun has not appeared for even 5 minutes here, just like last July.

Posted

Everything is so dry here that when we had a frost yesterday and this morning, there was barely any hoar on the grass, and only a little on the car.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It was about this time in January last year (and has subsequently happened again) when I've noticed the days get long enough to keep me happy and the sun being a bit higher and a bit stronger. It's not quite at the feeling of waking up after that long sleep that happens at the start of March, but I tell you, it feels so good right now! biggrin.gif

I agree, as each day passes its great to think that you can be outside later and later instead of being forced inside ridiculously early. Very early days yet but 6pm sunsets arent that that far away.

Posted

I thought the BBC were referring to england and wales when they said 41%, however, reading these posts I'm not so sure now. Alas the past couple of days will be boosting the overall totals, yesterday was simply glorious here in the Lake District, wall to wall sunshine from dawn till dusk with piercig blue skies and light winds, today a near carbon copy only not quite due to skies being hazier. The day dawned notably cold I think it got down to -6 degrees, and temps struggled to get up to 2 degrees this afternoon.

Tomorrow unfortunately looks like being generally bright but not sunny with some cloud around at times. Really enjoyed the weather of the last two days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Some places must have been exceptionally dull this month if the England and Wales average is 41% for the month.

Here we've had just over 44 hrs which is only 2 hrs short of the average for January. The first half of the month was very cloudy with only 11 hrs but there have been plenty of sunny days in the second half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I believe, come next week, I may well be suffering from sun withdrawal once again, myself. :angry:

However, those fronts should rattle through with some days possibly having some impressive winds too.

Hopefully there will be some drier sunny interludes within the raging zonality and if so, that will please me no end.

Wintry Regards

gottolovethisweather