Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coast

Formula One

f1.jpg

As posted in the older thread, alongside a myriad of revisions to the teams and cars this year, we are going to see a few changes on the commentary team too:

Jonathan Legard has been dropped as the BBC's F1 commentator, it's been confirmed today.

Martin Brundle is to step up to the role of lead commentator, while David Coulthard is set to join him in the commentary box.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=23005

The two Lotus teams dispute rumbles on as well:

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/36908.html

and Trulli is speaking out about the divide between the top teams and the rest:

Jarno Trulli has unleashed a scathing attack on the state of modern-day F1, accusing the sport of having ‘taken an ugly turn’ of late and denouncing it as an arena in which money shouts far louder than talent – with the upshot being that the general level outside of the leading four teams is, he claims, ‘extremely poor’.

Trulli is one of the most experienced drivers on the current grand prix grid, having made his debut in the top flight with Minardi back in 1997. Since then, the Italian has begun 234 races at the highest level, triumphing in Monaco, ascending the rostrum on a further ten occasions and establishing a reputation as one of the very fastest drivers in the field in terms of single-lap speed.

However, as a reaction to the global credit crunch and mass manufacturer exodus in recent years, there has been an influx of smaller, independent and – with no car companies behind them – less financially-secure competitors. That trend, Trulli argues, has caused the pinnacle of the sport to lose its crown and in fact regress by a couple of decades, with well-heeled pay-drivers now the order of the day and genuine talent finding itself increasingly squeezed out.

“In the last couple of years, F1 has taken an ugly turn,†the Team Lotus star told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport. “Contracts are worth less-and-less. The only thing that interests is the big money brought by various ‘little’ drivers. Only four teams can guarantee excellent drivers. As for the rest, the level is extremely poor.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11012011/23/trulli-f1-taken-ugly-turn.html

This is going to be a very close season with 5 or so drivers battling it out at the top and I think some of the newer teams could make a real impression this year.

As for the commentators and presenters - as long as they keep Eddie Jordan in front of the camera I dont care - he's a legend.

And Jake Humphrey is an extremely talented presenter also.

Here is a new blog post from Jake Humphrey explaining some of the changes this year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2011/01/ringing_the_changes_for_2011.html#more

And its going to be in HD this year :)

Good grief, this isn't getting any better:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tomcary/100014959/thoughts-on-lotus-v-lotus-twitterings/

As Mark Daniels, an intellectual property lawyer at Browne Jacobson commented: “Team Lotus will be buoyed by this news, but it remains far from clear as to whether its claim will ultimately be successful. The barrier for a claim overcoming summary dismissal is not that great. Its also still unclear if anyone will enter the F1 season with the Team Lotus branding especially since 1MalaysiaF1 still owns a registered trade mark which covers advertising and which may yet be a serious barrier to Group Lotus appearing on the grid under the Team Lotus brand. Today the court impressed on the parties that they should seek to settle the dispute before the season begins. If they fail to settle the matter, it will proceed to trial on 21 March 2011. There are sure to be a few more twists and turns in this particular raceâ€.

First of the 2011 season cars revealed this morning, the Ferrari F-150:

2011launchferrari_s008.jpg

2011launchferrari_s003.jpg

There are many changes regarding the regulations for 2011. Which are the ones with the major impact on the F150 project?

Aldo Costa, Technical Director: The major aspects with the most impact on the project were connected to the aerodynamic development. The car will change a lot. The double diffuser, the F-duct, is gone. The driver can't change the car's aerodynamic set up anymore. The underbody won't have any ‘holes' in the central part anymore. This is a fundamental change. The rear wing will be movable, so that the driver can overtake the car in front of him and use it in the qualifying according to his needs. The KERS is back. Although we've improved its size, it's still quite big. Therefore the technicians had to redesign the car's layout. There are also new safety rules. We participated in the changes the Federation made to improve safety on the track, which is always extremely important.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=42842

Thanks to Ferrari though the unveiling of the car looks to be rather early. I am not sure the point of showing a car which will change considerably before the first race.....

"The car you will see at the first race will be completely different from the car you will see in Valencia," Domenicali said.

I feel it will be easier for me to adapt to the new car

Fernando Alonso

Chief designer Nikolas Tombazis added: "This car is just the first step; the entire body will be changed. We will have changes visually and also in performance for our first race."

Redbull's RB7:

red-bull_1816119c.jpg

One or two people in that picture are going to be on the podium an awful lot this year :whistling:

Interesting McClaren Strategy of using a slightly modified last years car, considering the times they are getting today, it's still better than alot out there.

All the teams though are playing things very close to their chests as they come up with weird and wonderful answers to the new rule changes.

Hamilton and Button look to have the out of the box package and are trying to limit the amount of time the other teams have between seeing it and the first race, this to me suggests they are very optimistic about things.

Ferrari too are being rather caging on a couple of enhancements.

Another first race set to be a cracker IMO.

Could be! I have to pick my F1 fantasy team soon. 4 drivers, a certain price is put on each driver, the limit for your team is £30 million. Who is going to be in this years team for me and who is going to be my number 1 driver? Last year was Hamilton, Webber, Kobayashi and Sutil - I came second and missed a consecutive year of wins by 2.5 points!!

An interesting read on Zak Brown here, touting him as a possible replacement for Bernie Ecclestone one day?

I hope it is closer this year between the top 3 teams, given their dominance really red Bulls should have finished 1-2 in the Championship and won the Constructors with races to spare.

Interesting McClaren Strategy of using a slightly modified last years car, considering the times they are getting today, it's still better than alot out there.

All the teams though are playing things very close to their chests as they come up with weird and wonderful answers to the new rule changes.

Hamilton and Button look to have the out of the box package and are trying to limit the amount of time the other teams have between seeing it and the first race, this to me suggests they are very optimistic about things.

Ferrari too are being rather caging on a couple of enhancements.

Well the McClaren has been unveiled and it has a few things that *might* make it special, certaintly out of the box and some teams might be playing catch up.....

Well the McClaren has been unveiled and it has a few things that *might* make it special, certaintly out of the box and some teams might be playing catch up.....

Yep, some of the design features sound intriguing to say the least. Look forward to seeing some pics of it.

Yep, some of the design features sound intriguing to say the least. Look forward to seeing some pics of it.

_51101938_mclaren466.jpg

And the car features a number of intriguing aerodynamic design innovations. The bodywork is extensively sculpted and there is a novel engine cover design, featuring two air inlets, and the front wing features a series of very dramatic shapes.

The air intake on the sidepods - the bodywork that sticks out either side of the driver - is also a shape never seen in F1 before, double the height on the outside of the car than it is where the intake meets the cockpit beside the driver. McLaren said the U-shaped sidepod front was an attempt to get more airflow to the rear wing, thereby increasing aerodynamic downforce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9387578.stm

Its looking like he'll be out for the entire season now unfortunately. There have been reports that they were battling to save his hand.

Heres hoping he makes a full recovery and gets back into F1 as soon as possible. Hes probably the best driver at the moment never to have a car capable of showing his talent.

In the meantime, could Senna get to keep the seat warm while Robert is out? He's arguably the best of Renaults five(!) test/reserve drivers and has the most experience at F1 level (even if it was as a moving roadblock in that HRT last year).

Its looking like he'll be out for the entire season now unfortunately.

I'm surprised they let him compete in a rally event so close to the beginning of the season. This mornings BBC news say he is out for the season and Senna looks like he will get the seat, interesting times for the team and the Lotus branding issue is still not resolved!

That's a real pity. Kubica definitely has the potential to be world champion, hopefully these injuries aren't serious enough to affect his driving ability in the long term.

post-3933-0-28310900-1297247759_thumb.jp

post-3933-0-04168200-1297247739_thumb.jp

Yikes, he's lucky to be alive methinks the

way that metal barrier went right through the car.

B.

There is hope that he'll be back during the latter stages of the season- I hope he recovers fully, would be a real shame to have a real up-and-coming talent have his career destroyed. The main risk is that the accident might take something out of him, e.g. Felipe Massa hasn't been quite as good since his accident, though evidence for this is mixed with Mika Hakkinen being an obvious counterexample following his near-fatal accident in Australia 1995.

I'd like to see Bruno Senna get a shot at some stage just to see how he copes in a good car, even if it's just for a few races. Nick Heidfeld is the safe but boring option. The other shortlisted candidate is Vitantonio Liuzzi, but although he had a lot of ill luck last year I don't think he's proved himself good enough for a shot at a high-end team yet.

Looking at the GP's this year and whats going on with tyres it's looking like a minimum of 2 stops per race and maybe upto 4 with 3 possibly being the most likely.

The tyres dont look to be able to do half distance without serious degredation(i.e 2 or 3 seconds a lap), given that overtaking should be easier it will also lead to more pit stops with less chances of being held up by slower cars if you enter mid pack.

From what I've seen and heard from testing.

super soft = 3 laps until 1 second degredation.

soft = 7 laps until 1 second degredation.

medium = 10 laps until 1 second degredation.

hard = 15 laps until 1 second degredation.

Obviously this will depend upon the car, driver, fuel load etc, but looks a useful guide, given this along with the weird and wonderful rules of when the new moveable wings can be used, kers and how some teams have gone for straight line speed and others for speed around twisty circuits, it will be one hell of a season to try and understand and tbh I think it will take 3 or 4 races before we see which cars are the best and which are not as good as expected.

The BBC are reporting that the Bahrain Grand Prix has been "called off". Now, one would imagine this means a postponement, but let's hope that it just gets cancelled. That race is a bore fest, and would make the end of the season really tough on the teams (the logical rescheduling date). huh.gif