Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2011/2012

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sign me up! Been years now since I've seen a decent storm :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Blimey Jane, this is a bit previous....lol......I should imagine that everyone's a member currently!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Sign me up! Been years now since I've seen a decent storm :(

Welcome to the club. :) I feel this is going to be a good year for all us storm starved.:D

Blimey Jane, this is a bit previous....lol......I should imagine that everyone's a member currently!

:lol: Lol Can you tell I'm desperate for a storm?:p

I think a few may have some potential on Friday, probably only a couple rumbles of thunder though! But it's soon going to be Spring :Dand I did get a storm a few years back in March! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hopefully this year won't be as quiet as last, when ridging from the Azores region was the largely dominant pattern for a good part of the summer.

Yes, I don't share the enthusiasm many people have for that Azores ridging pattern- it does depend on what you're after of course, but I usually find that even when those Azores ridging scenarios bring dry sunny weather they often get tedious after a while- and more so when they bring a good deal of cloud to boot.

The troughing to the W/SW sounds like what we had on a regular basis in the Julys of 1994, 1995 and 2006- those were pretty thundery months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

As we can't forget that SE england had 0.1% storms and no imports, i don't see this same pattern repeating it self..but thats just hope!!

Summer 2006 great that was, just a the drought conditions were getting quite serious until thankfully from mid july the thunderstorms started and remained as at least one thundery outbreak a week, many imports and homegrowns, this continued until end sept/october and stayed very warm! If this year it turns out un-thundery like last yr then stormchase france is on, altho it would be only 1or2 nights and them being level 1+ storm nights!

Posted

I think a few may have some potential on Friday, probably only a couple rumbles of thunder though!

That's all I heard in the whole of 2009 and 2010 anyway lol !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Can I join please? considering theres been no storms yet in 2011 :p

But seriously I can't wait for the spring and summer, bring on them storms and summer plumes I have good feeling about this year :D

Posted

As we can't forget that SE england had 0.1% storms and no imports, i don't see this same pattern repeating it self..but thats just hope!!

Well at least we got a multiple drop weak tornado and I was able to inspect some minor damage!

Posted

Can I join please? considering theres been no storms yet in 2011 :p

But seriously I can't wait for the spring and summer, bring on them storms and summer plumes I have good feeling about this year :D

Course you can SK :D Roll on summer/Spring :yahoo:

As you know, we never get storms in Cheltenham but we maybe lucky lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I will join this year too! I dont suspect that I will be in here the whole year as im off to florida in august for a couple of nights before the cruise!

Last year was really bad storm wise, I had a grand total of 0 storms with only about 3 rumbles of thunder the whole year! 2009 was ok for storms as I got a really big storm at the end of july! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

This year could be an active thundery one, with imports frequently moving out of france up to the north, from late May into summer, thats what i want, need and expect! i can't forget the times standing outside at 1am watching french imports arriving 30miles away to my south with new cells exploding to the east and sw becoming multicelled, taking 2hrs before hearing wardrobes rolling down hills, arriving slowly rumbling on until 5am. .. they were the nights.

Posted

Time will tell if this is going to be a good year :)

From what I gather last year, the storms seemed to be further North! something to do with the jet stream I think!

Seven to eight years ago Cheltenham used to get some really good close storms and they were scary especially when you're camping Lol.

Let's hope the Jet stream can position itself in it's normal position this year and then we can hopefully welcome the storms back again.:D

Here's hoping and praying Lol :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Let's hope the Jet stream can position itself in it's normal position this year and then we can hopefully welcome the storms back again.:D

Here's hoping and praying Lol :good:

Trouble is, that in itself wouldn't welcome the storms back again- the normal position of the jetstream takes low pressure systems to the north of Scotland and by default encourages ridging from the Azores High. The main setups for thundery months involve slack slow moving low pressure in the vicinity of the UK (August 2004 was an extreme case of this) or troughing to the W/SW, relatively high pressure to the east and frequent southerly winds as mentioned a few posts ago.

I remember those instances in late May and late June 2010 when thundery outbreaks developed over parts of Scotland and northern England and the south stayed sunny and dry, but those weren't typical of the "southerly tracking jet" pattern of the last few summers- they had high pressure in charge. Overall it wasn't a thundery summer in the north either, other than the odd thundery "sunshine and showers" setup under slack low pressure those were pretty much all the north had in the summer half-year and July in particular saw tropical maritime air dominate.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Ideally we need a more amplified pattern in summer, with a northward returning jet across the UK ahead of a trough sat to the W and SW of the UK.

Problem with last year is that that jet was rather flat W to E or aligned NW to SE - which is a pattern prohibitive for good storm set-ups other than weak storms in a Pm flow producing small hail and a few rumbles.

I would just like to re-live my yoof, when the evening BBC forecast sometimes in summer would show a big black blob (MCS) on the satellite image over France headed for the UK for the overnight lightshow spectacular! We seem to be getting winters like my youth now, so maybe we'll get the Spanish Plumes returning too.

Posted

Ahhh yes,

I remember those times when the spanish plumes were due. Many times I stayed awake to the early hours eagerly waiting for it to head up to Cheltenham lol.

Also the storms that came up from the Bay of Biscay in the early hours were pretty cool. The radar would be covered in lightning strikes almost all over the UK. To see those events this year would be great. I think I may have a screenshot of one of those events! Will have a look.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Here we go The 22nd of July 2006.:)

Ah yes I remember that day, we had thunderstorms going off all morning and also during the middle of the night on that day we had 2 pretty good lightning displays :D

I would love this to happen again and 2006 was a very a good storm year for here, so my fingers are crossed for a repeat :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well i think its the turn of the people who haven't had a storm in over a year! I haven't had any real strom since june 2009 here, im slowly forgetting what its like lol!

Posted

Awww, a storm never happened for me today lol. I must admit I knew somehow I wouldn't get one lol.:lol:

But parts of London got a storm. Hope they enjoyed it.

Still, there's plenty more time for the rest of us yet!:D

Posted

I missed out on summer storms..then a thunderstorm springs up out of no where over London(friday) in January! 0-: and out of my hearing range..typical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Im only 19 and i was petrified of storms when i was young, but i still get a bit nervous when i see a flash at night even now. I can remember alot of storms from the 90s but I don't know if they seemed to happen more often or just because I was scared they seemed bigger and long lasting. I really hope for some imports as I don't think I have ever seen a full on MCS with mutliple cells. I just can't remember any if i have seen one. My phoebia turned basically into an addiction and I absoloutley love it! I have been way to close to lightning in mexico out in a Eco park with water rides and animals with just some flip flops and trunks on. the whole morning we just kept getting pounded with storms these storms just consisted of CG strikes only and the lightning was getting way to close with hail to boot im glad it wasn't larger then pea sized as it hurt enough as it was as we were walking the beach lightning hit a tree just infront of us raining smouldering bits of wood down on the beach I was petrified. I have witnessed some all mighty storms one night in mexico we got 3 different storms IN ONE NIGHT! and it didn't stop raining for 3 days, it was torrential as a tropical wave came past the yucatan peninsula, even florida didn't fail to disapoint me with a crackin storm and lightning could be seen on 11 days out of 15 we were there. just incredible.

unlucky for me i saw those weird looking clouds over london on friday and I knew they looked dodgey with weird orange tinges but I think i was to far to hear the thunder, or I just didn't hear it.

Well lets hope lightning before march means a good year for storms. < try and rhyme it lol

Lightning Before March, the rest of the year storms will arch (Bow Echo) lol

Edited by Mesoscale